Sign in to follow this  
JohnBoy

What is considered a Small...Medium....Large City as far as population ???????

I posted on here about the Gulf Coast...Pensacola Florida.....and I have been trying to find out some info about what everyone would consider a S...M....or Large city as far as population...Pensacola is about 50,000.....Large Naval Base....and various other Military facilities in the area....Hell...I think we even have our own CIA Satellite office !!!

So....Does a city of this size make any sense ??? If there were Hospitals open....would any of the (What seems like) 1273 Walmarts in this town help !!! Being a Service connected Disabled Vietnam Vet....And we have one of the largest ...more Modern....and Newest VA Clinic in the country.....and yes I need them....Do you think they would be open ???

Pros.....Cons.....

Is there anyone out there with a mountain top BOL that would like to adopt a 61 Vet who is a member of the " 1000 Yard Club " ???B)

All input would be appreciated.....

Thanks

JohnBoy

Well in the UK near me the nearest large town is about 95000 people, but manchester is only 30 miles away. Given our lack of space, urban sprawl is a real problem with one town just bleeding into the other. So I really think Urban survival is pretty much the only useful thing to us here. Trying to survive in the wilderness, your never far from a big town. So wilderness is really only someones back garden.

Spindrift,

I sympathize with your situation. There doesn't seem to be a lot of 'empty' land in the UK.

JohnBoy,

My own thought is that anything over about 100,000 counts as large. From that down to about 15,000 is medium (some might say 10,000 and I would not argue the point). Below that, I'd call it small. Below about 3,000 to maybe 5,000 I'd call it a town, not a city even if it is incorporated.

College towns and military bases alter things a bit. Austin doubles its population over winter when UT is in session. I suspect that the population of the military bases do not show up in the city's population count so you have more folks there than you realize. The base may help keep the area stable when TSHTF. As long as the chain of command is not broken, it should help. You still have the same problem of 3 days supply of food. I assume you still have access to the PX/BX and commissary so that should help you in prepping. I don't know how susceptible you are to large hurricanes. I know they hit there, I don't know if you or the VA or anyone else must bug out when one comes. That very real possibility means you are going to have to plan carefully for your GOOD if you are dependent on the VA for routine treatment. I have a friend who needs dialysis three times a week. He has coordinated a GOOD to another facility that can pick up his case for the duration. Being a disabled RVN vet myself I do know there are problems that we old dinosaurs face that are unique. The key is to realistically look at what you're going to do and plan accordingly. I can NOT bug in if a Cat 3 or higher hurricane is heading my way. So my preps include the necessity to GOOD in that case.

I hope this helps.

Is there anyone out there with a mountain top BOL that would like to adopt a 61 Vet who is a member of the " 1000 Yard Club " ???B)

All input would be appreciated.....

Thanks

JohnBoy

I'm not anywhere near your neck of the woods nor do I have the mountain top BOL. However, if you ever end up in West Michigan, I'd be more than happy to "adopt" you :)

Thank-you for your service Sir!

Come North Brother I have my next door neighbor who is a RVN vet(he is much like Capt .Bart lol ) and the Beckley VA Hospital is within reach.So we can fit you in.

In the last 90 days we are putting togeather a plan.

We live in a Smal town of about 11000...and is very rural..

Edited by 101matt

Come North Brother I have my next door neighbor who is a RVN vet(he is much like Capt .Bart lol ) and the Beckley VA Hospital is within reach.So we can fit you in.

In the last 90 days we are putting togeather a plan.

We live in a Smal town of about 11000...and is very rural..

Care to adopt a 30 year old former medic with his own arsenal

To me a big city is over a half million and anything over about 2 million as a mega city. 100,000 to 500,000 medium large, 50,000 to 100,000 is medium 10,000 to 50,000 is a small city. 5000 to 10,000 is a big town, 1000 to 5000 is a medium town 500 to 1000 is a small town 100 to 500 is a village and below a hundred is community.

I live in the suburbs of a small town 15 miles outside of a small city about 75 miles north of a mega city. When I say city I am actually talking metropolitan area.

My goodness, you guys have HUGE cities! I mean, we have just shy of 350,000 in our entire county, but that's spread out over something like 4,700 square miles. In my area, there's only one large and two medium cities by Capt Bart's scale, then a bunch of little towns.

Unfortunately, our nearest VA hospitals are about 1.5 hours north or south on I-5 (weird no-man's land for services). But if I ever can afford my mountaintop retreat, I'll need someone with a military background to help defend it, so I'd be willing to play taxi service for trips to the VA and I happen to have "ins" with the local medical and emergency services community that could come in handy if travel becomes too risky.

OC, the county I lived in most of my life had a population of 6-7000. The county seat, our "city" has a population of just under 1500...lol.

Sounds like the first place I lived in Montana, near a little town called Philipsburg that's located about halfway between Butte and Missoula. We were actually about 30 miles outside of town (11 miles of that was gravel road), but the town had 900 residents. It was also the county seat, meaning the biggest community in the county. And it had a sign that boasted it was a "full-service community" because there was a gas station, post office, grocery store, and a bank. (There were also three bars and a liquor store, a fantasy-inspiring candy store, and an annual polka festival and Shakespeare in the Park.) Odd little town, but a wonderful place to live too. I would like to live in a community that small again in the future.

How do you do it? Live in big cities I mean, I used to live in a town of 1500 and my wife couldn't stand having neighbors bugging us all the time lol. I like to be where I can see trouble coming before it gets there.

How do you do it? Live in big cities I mean, I used to live in a town of 1500 and my wife couldn't stand having neighbors bugging us all the time lol. I like to be where I can see trouble coming before it gets there.

Become tolerant and complacent... Until then of course something touches nerve and recognize the need to prep and leave. :P

At a certain point in population, you stop noticing/interacting/caring about your neighbors and anyone else. It's like your body's reaction to social overload. You may see hundreds of people in a day, actually speak to only five or ten of them, and be friends/acquainted with just one or two (if that many).

From the point of view of growing up in big cities, I always asked my buddies (from small town Missouri, etc) how they could stand living where everyone knows everyone else, and everyone knows what everyone else is doing. It really does lead to a different way of dealing with people - in a small town you have to live with every single social mistake you make, so you tend to be more courteous and careful about how you interact with folks. In a big city, if you offend someone, the odds are pretty good you won't ever see them again, or you can simply move a few miles away and be swallowed up in the sea of humanity. Of course that means you can't rely on anyone else to come help you if you need anything...which is the opposite of rural life. The trade off is privacy vs support.

OC, the county I lived in most of my life had a population of 6-7000. The county seat, our "city" has a population of just under 1500...lol.

(grin) My high school graduating class was larger than the population of your county seat. My best buddy in the Army, who is from a small town in Missouri, had a graduating class of seven. We have very different memories of teenage life, lol.

At a certain point in population, you stop noticing/interacting/caring about your neighbors and anyone else. It's like your body's reaction to social overload. You may see hundreds of people in a day, actually speak to only five or ten of them, and be friends/acquainted with just one or two (if that many).

From the point of view of growing up in big cities, I always asked my buddies (from small town Missouri, etc) how they could stand living where everyone knows everyone else, and everyone knows what everyone else is doing. It really does lead to a different way of dealing with people - in a small town you have to live with every single social mistake you make, so you tend to be more courteous and careful about how you interact with folks. In a big city, if you offend someone, the odds are pretty good you won't ever see them again, or you can simply move a few miles away and be swallowed up in the sea of humanity. Of course that means you can't rely on anyone else to come help you if you need anything...which is the opposite of rural life. The trade off is privacy vs support.

You have some good points here. I guess I would say that in a small town, even if you make a big mistake, eventually it's not an issue anymore. It's like a larger version of your family, there are some relatives that you don't get along with, or some that are a-holes, or whatever, but at the end of the day, you know you're stuck with them. I know that's not a ringing endorsement for small towns, but I've learned the hard way that when the chips are down, small town residents take care of their own. If there is a benefit for someone who has cancer, for example, there will be a line out the door of people waiting to do their small part to help. Would you see that in a big city?

Depends on if that person is involved in a church , condo assoc, clubs, etc. you have to view the large cities like a hundred small communities right next to each other. My condo building (only 14 units) is pretty tight. Of course if you don't talk to anyone and don't get involved, than it is very easy to disapear. One example of committed are the 'family' association groups or clubs a lot of Chinese immigrants used to be a part of. They were formed to help more established folks take care of new people and help them out. They still exist in the Chinatown part of DC.

I live in a "village", I guess, of 150 on the edge of a town of 15,000 30 mins from a town of 120,000 to the south and one of 40,000 to the east, along with a metro area of 2.5 or so mil 60 or so miles to the south. But I can be lost in woods on the river 15 mins to the east. guess it's kind of an ideal position really. Though if money were no object, I'd be somewhere in the middle of a mountainous region in Colorado, unable to see, hear, or smell any trace of anyone else.

Well in Philly we have over 1.5 million, and I live smack dad in the middle lol, my main prep are my ears, as in keeping them open all the time, my family and friends are on the outskirts of city, so I'll be planing on heading there at the first whispers of danger

The house I am buying is in a small town of 4,500 that is the seat of the county. This town is 15 miles South of a population center of around 100,000. There is another populated area about 20 miles South of 50,000 and another one to the East about 25 miles that is probably around 125,000. The town is fairly far off the beaten path for anyone going East or West, and there are much faster North/South routes as well.

I would prefer somewhere farther from major population centers, but that simply isn't possible now. The house is on the West edge of town, and you have to travel 35 miles West to get to anything that resembles civilization and almost 60 miles to a real population center. This makes it less likely that anyone would venture to the West side of town in search of supplies. The house is also close to two rural highways that could be used to quickly get out of the area and are not terribly well known.

As far as I can tell if the government or the news see 3 people who are on their side it's considered a whole town

is on their side so they take a tight shot and make it look like the whole state is in a riot.

now if your not on their side of the argument no coverage no news in fact dead silence as was seen by the Tea Party

events so it is not a matter of how many it is how many are on their side or in their system IMO.

Notice the difference in reaction in New Orleans and the Sandy storms in reaction time and the money

spent toward both that should give you food for thought.