Sign in to follow this  
Guest kevin

what wild life posies the most danger?

Guest kevin

I have see a number of articles about wild life dangers in a teotwawki event. topics range from roaming herds of killer cows just waiting to stampede to feral dogs snatching our kids. those things could happen, but my battle with out of control animals began yesterday. i had just received a mylar bag order i had sent for and was digging out my long term storage to bag it up when i noticed mouse turds in my stash. sure enough some of my prep had been nibbled on. it is to be expected i guess but i had taken precautions all said grain was loaded into a cast iron bath tub that was left in an old bathroom i gutted and shelved for a prep room i had sealed the drain and capped the top with ply wood.... tight. yet still i had an intruder of the vermin variety. after culling the nibbled stock and sealing the remainder in mylar i am still worried about my long term pest problem. even with everything sealed im leery of poisons near my food,even live glue traps arent a good option because i dont want rotting rat near it either and taking all my other prep off the shelves isnt a task i want to do everyday to see if i caught any thing.........suggestions welcome. while i wage war onany new mice(i got the little s#*t that started the problem) ive decided i rather have those stampeding cattle,at least ill see them coming and hey thats BEEF.(if things are tight even the dog pack is protein) just wanted to give a heads up, we are all preparing to defend or stock from the zombie hoards with the fire power to meet a head long assault, when you may be under attack right now..............wish my son wasn't allergic to cats(.bet they taste like chicken)

We have Cougars moving back into my area, not a big fan of them, had a brief long distance sighting of one a few years ago and all I had was my machete, gave me a heck of a pucker factor.

I hear we have a few rattlers in this area, but I have yet to see one.

As for pest in my immediate area, we have some pretty aggressive urban raccoons here that are pretty destructive, but the worst is the feral cats. We have some neighbors that have been feeding the local ferals. They have an array of pie pans, hub caps and dog bowls that they fill with cat food every couple of days, so the area is infested with them.

I was heading out of the house one morning wearing shorts and I guess I startled a tom that was napping by the porch and he latched onto my leg and ripped into me like a fat kid on a chocolate cake. about a dozen stitches and a bunch of shots later... The neighbors thought it was funny. If I weren't such a nice guy I'd be able to wipe out the local feral cat population.

Then there's all the damage they do to screens, the constant cat fights outside the bedroom window when you're trying to sleep. The paw prints all over the windshield and hood, the road kill that litters the streets.... I do not like these cats, or the neighbors who feed them.

My vote goes with rats and other vermin, echoing kevin's concerns. Not just a threat to preps, but also carriers of plague and other nasties. In a mass "die off" situation of some sort, you can count of these little beggars to be the ultimate survivors and propogate into massive numbers. Invest in traps. Lots of traps.

Vicioustom

A relaxing evening on the front porch after dark with a beer and slingshot. Does wonders for the soul and controling the cat population. Or being the good neighbor you could help feed them cat food w/anti freeze as gravy ( your such good neighbor lol).:rolleyes:

We have Cougars moving back into my area, not a big fan of them, had a brief long distance sighting of one a few years ago and all I had was my machete, gave me a heck of a pucker factor.

As for pest in my immediate area, we have some pretty aggressive urban raccoons here that are pretty destructive, but the worst is the feral cats. We have some neighbors that have been feeding the local ferals. They have an array of pie pans, hub caps and dog bowls that they fill with cat food every couple of days, so the area is infested with them.

I was heading out of the house one morning wearing shorts and I guess I startled a tom that was napping by the porch and he latched onto my leg and ripped into me like a fat kid on a chocolate cake. about a dozen stitches and a bunch of shots later... The neighbors thought it was funny. If I weren't such a nice guy I'd be able to wipe out the local feral cat population.

Then there's all the damage they do to screens, the constant cat fights outside the bedroom window when you're trying to sleep. The paw prints all over the windshield and hood, the road kill that litters the streets.... I do not like these cats, or the neighbors who feed them.

Lord i hate the neighborhood cats.My shrub beds used to smell worse than a litter box. If i could, i would put a tuna can in the front yard and have the 22 ready.Yes i am a dog person but he doesn't crap in your yard or drag his nails down the hood of your car. If you want to stop cats from hanging around try this. used coffee grounds spread around the yard. wont hurt anything but some reason cats hate it. has worked for me for years.

For mice, try cedar. I use cedar oil (essential oils) to spread around and it seems to be very effective. Something in cedar causes respritory failure in rodents (learned from pet shop when daughter got rats for a science project). Cedar will also keep alot of insects at bay also.

I also think the smell of cedar will help mask the smells of your preps to further "hide" them.

Bounce or other dryer softener sheets work pretty good on mice. I'll have to try the cedar oil...Anybody know how to repel brown bats?

That's a tough one, I had some problems with them years ago when I lived in a different area. In my case they weren't particularly destructive or anything, it was just the guano left everywhere. Some ppl try using ultra sonic noise generators, but the bats seem to get used to it after a while and come right back. There are some chemical repellents that don't seem to work too well and then there's people that use glue boards and poison sprays. I personally don't want to hurt bats if I can help it, they do a lot of good in the area of insect control and are mostly harmless (unless they crash into the side of you head unexpectedly :( ).

I ended up bat proofing the building they were getting into using some spray foam and old netting I picked up at a garage sale. Wait until they leave for the night and seal everything up. I've heard that putting bright lights in the area they're roosting in works, but as soon as the light's off they'll be back.

I will have to say where I live at in upper east Tennessee we have a major coyote problem. I can step out on the back deck at night and hear them hollowing just across the hill from where I'm at. The night my wife called me (I work 11:00pm - 7:00am) and told me she had stepped outside to see what the dogs were barking at and she said there stood a big black ugly coyote. Of course she retreated back inside the house,and she said that the coyote just acted like it never seen her, and on top of that all the hollowing they do in the summer and winter has my 3 year old grandson scared to go outside unless one of us is with him.

But little do the coyotes know, I waiting with my Mosin Nagant, I just need one shot.

Yeah Ruger, those cyotes are more dangerous than people realize. A farmer who let's me hunt his land called me up a couple years ago to go mop up some that had attacked his grand daughter right out in front of the farm house. Hope you can get rid of them before anything happens.

Guest kevin

hey jerry would a fake owl work on the bats?

ruger if you have a predator caller, slip in a small dog yipping, coyotes can't resist a chance to kill an easy k9 target.

Guest survival101

Besides the zombies? And the other preppers? Well first the snakes, here we have copperheads and rattlesnakes and water moccasins and more. And if you're bugging in, rats and mice, that carry disease. Then the Boeing sized mosquitoes. Then the deer ticks. And after that, if you're bugging out and thrashing thru the brush without thinking or looking, the wild boar. There's not many bears here.

Guest survival101
Vicioustom

A relaxing evening on the front porch after dark with a beer and slingshot. Does wonders for the soul and controling the cat population. Or being the good neighbor you could help feed them cat food w/anti freeze as gravy ( your such good neighbor lol).:rolleyes:

Silverwolf, not being much of a cat person myself, especially feral cats, I tend to agree with you. But living in an apartment complex finally made me realize why the management never takes care of the problem. There's not many rats or mice running around here. Otherwise, here kitty, kitty....

We have a couple of cats that stay out, although we have a nice setup in the garage for them. We have no rodent problem, although we have a neighborhood cat that is making my life hell. It gets in the garage and sprays all over and howls around the house. What really gets me is that the smell is sometimes noticeable in the house.

We also have coyotes in the neighborhood. This only goes back a few years, since they finished a road that completely disrupted their habitat. Many of the smaller dogs and most of the cats have disappeared. It isn't unusual anymore to look out at night and see one.

We have rattlesnakes and scorpions and monster spiders, and I have to confess to being afraid of them. The rat snakes and such don't bother me and they help with the pest population. And we have fewer mosquitos the last year or two, which coincides with my noticing the first bats in the neighborhood. I don't know where they're sheltering, but I'm glad they're here, as long as it isn't in my house. : )

Sorry about your cat problem, but I have to admit I had tears coming out of my eyes just picturing that cat attacking your leg...sorry.

I have see a number of articles about wild life dangers in a teotwawki event. topics range from roaming herds of killer cows just waiting to stampede to feral dogs snatching our kids. those things could happen, but my battle with out of control animals began yesterday. i had just received a mylar bag order i had sent for and was digging out my long term storage to bag it up when i noticed mouse turds in my stash. sure enough some of my prep had been nibbled on. it is to be expected i guess but i had taken precautions all said grain was loaded into a cast iron bath tub that was left in an old bathroom i gutted and shelved for a prep room i had sealed the drain and capped the top with ply wood.... tight. yet still i had an intruder of the vermin variety. after culling the nibbled stock and sealing the remainder in mylar i am still worried about my long term pest problem. even with everything sealed im leery of poisons near my food,even live glue traps arent a good option because i dont want rotting rat near it either and taking all my other prep off the shelves isnt a task i want to do everyday to see if i caught any thing.........suggestions welcome. while i wage war onany new mice(i got the little s#*t that started the problem) ive decided i rather have those stampeding cattle,at least ill see them coming and hey thats BEEF.(if things are tight even the dog pack is protein) just wanted to give a heads up, we are all preparing to defend or stock from the zombie hoards with the fire power to meet a head long assault, when you may be under attack right now..............wish my son wasn't allergic to cats(.bet they taste like chicken)
My vote is Insects

You should try glue traps. These really work well and do not contaminate with blood or other mouse parts.

As far as cat goes, they do not taste like chicken. The meat is tough and stringy at least the ones in SEA were. Dog is a much better tasting meat, even though I would not want to eat my dog....now someone else's may be a different matter.

I think this is one of those depends questions...if your at your BoL then it could very well be rodents in the food supply. Rodent droppings can also have a virus that is deadly. A cat would help prevent that.

Glue traps, spring traps and such will work, not knocking them. I tend to try and find the lowest tech solution for a problem.

If your out in the woods, it could be snakes, bears or whatever.

Edited by vonBayern