Sign in to follow this  
Guest kevin

what wild life posies the most danger?

If you want to keep animals like cats and dogs off your lawn, crush up some moth balls and sprinkle the powder all over the grass. It will last through a couple of rain showers, and as long as its there, no cat or dog will want anything to do with your lawn. Their noses are much more sensitive than ours, and they hate the smell of moth balls. My mom has been doing this to her lawn for years, and it works just fine.

Post disaster, I'd worry about feral dogs (we have literally thousands of large breed dogs in the city here, and large percentage are pit bull or pit bull mixed breeds). Snakes and insects are always an issue in Florida, no great change there, except there will be a lot more of the bugs without the active control efforts by the government. There aren't enough of the larger animals (bears, panthers, etc) to pose much of a hazard, when you consider they are outnumbered about forty thousand to one, by dogs.

I suspect you guys are right about the dogs...and because they had been around people most of their lives, they won't be scared of us either and would be more likely to argue about who's where on the food chain.

Family friend (I'll call him Bruce) who lives down the way used to have emus, he also had a bad neighbor who had two rottwilers who thought that it was ok if they were free ranging.

Bruces phone rings one day and its the lady who lives across the street from him, she tells him that the rottwilers are in his yard killing his emus. Bruce was not happy. Took his .38 (closest loaded handgun), and shot the male three times. The dog just kinda looked at him, so Bruce thinks "hmmm....fail", and fetches his 12 gauge, shoots the male again, he goes down. The female makes a run for it, but she doesn't make it as another blast takes her down too.

At that time Bruce noticed the sheriff patrol car in front of his his houlse. But thats another story.

The point to this? For large breeds of dogs a .38 may not cut it. I know I know, a well placed shoot can bring down most anything...but if you have 3 plus dogs running at you will you have time to make that well placed shot. Will you remain calm enough to take it?

Edited by vonBayern

vonByern,

For large breeds of dogs a .38 may not cut it.

Just so. In an urban/suburban setting any handgun big enough to do the job on larger animals may have 'downrange issues' as well. Shotguns are very useful tools and you are much less likely to have innocent bystanders hurt by a miss or an over penetrating round.

Guest kevin

vonbayern.....i am our families "pet killer", the guy they all call when an animal needs to be put down.( i do NOT enjoy this task , but am ABLE to do what is needed) and i can tell you that even a well placed shot with a 22 threw 9mm isn't always instant death......due to past experiences i now will ONLY use a 12 gauge with a slug(for anything larger than a cat)....a bit messy, but it is instant,painless and that is what i am shooting for....no pun intended.

All of it is a danger with no medical care. A mosquito can kill you same as a bear.

yep, in fact I worry more about the little things than large apex type predators. the big ones are the reason we have large caliber rifles and they are easily delat with and can be eaten in a pinch. bugs on the other hand....shiver

Yeah Ruger, those cyotes are more dangerous than people realize. A farmer who let's me hunt his land called me up a couple years ago to go mop up some that had attacked his grand daughter right out in front of the farm house. Hope you can get rid of them before anything happens.

yotes are starting to become an issue out here in western NC also

I agree with rats and vermin! They are a hazard even today....

www.survivalhelpcenter.com

I watched a Life after people show on NatGeo. Believe it or not they said rats and roaches would die out quickly because they depend on us to feed them and keep them warm. I would think after shtf people would be thinned out and who ever is left would have a huge problem. Plus wild packs of dogs would be a big problem.

Western NC is my home, though not where I live now. I hate to think of coyotes becoming a problem there. Are they wreaking havoc on the fox population?

I think they are, I dont see as many foxes as i used too.. and I have chickens. but i know down the road several of the cattle farmers in Both NC and SC are shooting yotes left and right because they are attacking the calves. even though right now it is technically illegal to kill them here no one says anything because we all know what kind of problems they are causing.

I watched a Life after people show on NatGeo. Believe it or not they said rats and roaches would die out quickly because they depend on us to feed them and keep them warm. I would think after shtf people would be thinned out and who ever is left would have a huge problem. Plus wild packs of dogs would be a big problem.

Could well be - would do very well for a short time based on an abundance of food - like the meat eaters in the early stages of the mass extinctions. As the herbivores get weaker, food becomes easier to obtain. Of course, once the die off is almost complete, the scavengers go too.

I think they are, I dont see as many foxes as i used too.. and I have chickens. but i know down the road several of the cattle farmers in Both NC and SC are shooting yotes left and right because they are attacking the calves. even though right now it is technically illegal to kill them here no one says anything because we all know what kind of problems they are causing.

I saw somewhere that the coyotes in large parts of the country are changing. It appears they are interbreeding with either wolf or dog but in any event, they are becoming larger and more aggressive. Still coyote but more like a small (relatively speaking) wolf in terms of aggression and effectiveness. That is NOT a good mix for other species, including us.

All of it is a danger with no medical care. A mosquito can kill you same as a bear.

wolfpack21643 your right

hey I have tried and argued this so you might be wasting your breath I have included head and sleeping

nets and explained hammocks are great as long as you protect yourself from mosquitoes.

the problem is people in the U.S. in people in mass waves are not getting malaria but it would be

a matter of time in reduction of county spraying and our ability to fog and spray ourselves.

Not to mention if we cannot afford electricity our homes would be open and nights would be filled

with them at certain times of the year.

One thing I have is a propane fogger and numerous propane 1# bottles and conversion to big bottles.

and 5 small jugs of juice for it..

Capt Bart and Wardog513

that brings up rabies deadly if not treated,

In posts mentioned that if we have a problem scavengers will have a feast and more

look at humans as a food source and with more food more breeding and many dogs, foxes will run in

larger and larger packs.

even now in cities some abandoned areas are being inhabited by dogs and cats that are becoming

more feral and hogs are already a problem and have no issue with attacking a human.

With the reduction to elimination in services people will have to do what we used to do handle

it themselves but Animal huggers have infested hollyweird and government so laws are in place

that make it a felony in some cases to down problem animals but yet the animal control can come

take them in and destroy them anyway more government assertion of over reach of power.

Edited by juzcallmesnake

The one you don't know about

may sound silly but it is a fact that plants fungi animals and biological diseases that rest in soil

are waiting to kill you.

rabies if an animal was freshly infected there would be no way to know

an animal off their range you got trouble

using the wrong wood to roast or hold your wiener over the fire and your poisoned.

food goes bad or get moldy and your dead.

mushroom experts have died from mistakenly eating a mushroom that looks like another.

numerous diseases lay dormant in the soil like meningitis small pox Tetanus and others

with people having exotic animals you have no idea of what kind of reptile or mammal or non indigenous

fish you might find.

poisonous material like chemicals or gasses from rail cars or plant or in a low spot can kill with just a whiff.

so

me are heavy enough that normal winds will not disperse them.

insects of all kinds like flies and mosquitoes spiders and fleas ticks and leaches cause infections and

disease.

add things like a bad tooth a boil that breaks under the skin ingrown hair or nail can get gangrene.

did we forget flesh eating virus

not knowing that a red tide is forming and eating any thing in the water even inland to a certain distance

you will die.

there are skate like a ray it has a sting in its tail get hit walking in the surf and you will probably

shoot your self the pain is so intense shuffle / slide your feet in the surf.

caves or hollows in sand or limestone cliffs can fail with the slightest rain mines are dangerous

if you do not understand or know about mines cave ins kill people every year.

people die from anoxia from closed in areas and fire

widow makers dead or damaged trees falling and killing people.

water kills people every year floods if your in a low spot slipping in a sink hole straight sides looks like

a pond or cattle tank quick sand underground caverns have collapsed when walked on.

well I think you have the idea there is no way in hell any of us can know all the threats to our existence.

The one you don't know about

may sound silly but it is a fact that plants fungi animals and biological diseases that rest in soil

are waiting to kill you.

rabies if an animal was freshly infected there would be no way to know

an animal off their range you got trouble

using the wrong wood to roast or hold your wiener over the fire and your poisoned.

food goes bad or get moldy and your dead.

mushroom experts have died from mistakenly eating a mushroom that looks like another.

numerous diseases lay dormant in the soil like meningitis small pox Tetanus and others

with people having exotic animals you have no idea of what kind of reptile or mammal or non indigenous

fish you might find.

poisonous material like chemicals or gasses from rail cars or plant or in a low spot can kill with just a whiff.

so

me are heavy enough that normal winds will not disperse them.

insects of all kinds like flies and mosquitoes spiders and fleas ticks and leaches cause infections and

disease.

add things like a bad tooth a boil that breaks under the skin ingrown hair or nail can get gangrene.

did we forget flesh eating virus

not knowing that a red tide is forming and eating any thing in the water even inland to a certain distance

you will die.

there are skate like a ray it has a sting in its tail get hit walking in the surf and you will probably

shoot your self the pain is so intense shuffle / slide your feet in the surf.

caves or hollows in sand or limestone cliffs can fail with the slightest rain mines are dangerous

if you do not understand or know about mines cave ins kill people every year.

people die from anoxia from closed in areas and fire

widow makers dead or damaged trees falling and killing people.

water kills people every year floods if your in a low spot slipping in a sink hole straight sides looks like

a pond or cattle tank quick sand underground caverns have collapsed when walked on.

well I think you have the idea there is no way in hell any of us can know all the threats to our existence.

I think Snake about covered it all. So the most dangerous animal is the human (YOU).

If you do not use your head and watch what you are doing, when you are doing it, you become more of a danger to yourself sometimes just by your choices as much as your actions. Now is the time to fill that skull with knowledge which can help you survive.

This is not camping 101, it is survival and your life and/or your families lives may depend on knowing what you DO NOT KNOW. Life is really a serious business. Yet we treat it so lightly because most of the dangerous things are taken care of by other people. Time to wake up and take care of your own life.

thanks Awake for the info to get rid of cats with used coffe grounds, neighbor feeds them, may just start putting some around her place also without her knowledge, for snke around the place my wife uses a korean method thats tends to keep them away she planted onions thoughout the yord and i dont see snake any more.

Yeah Ruger, those cyotes are more dangerous than people realize. A farmer who let's me hunt his land called me up a couple years ago to go mop up some that had attacked his grand daughter right out in front of the farm house. Hope you can get rid of them before anything happens.

Yeah coyote are for the most part easily spooked off but "coy dogs" as my grandfather called them (coyote/feral dog mixes) are not as a teen I raised sheep and had a ewe attacked by a pack when I ran to help they turned on me had to retreat to house and leave them to finish the job, good thing i had my trusty axe handle, guess they did understand the situation (truly they were pretty hungery looking) three went down seconds after I left the door again, two more before the night was over and three more in the next few days. If hungry a pack of coyote can be a very dangerous force they will attack much the same as wolves, try to hold your attention while one or more flank you and they will be patient and bite and run, lame and bleed you down if need be til they can move in for the kill. But I agree that mice and rat will be the biggest threat TEOTWAWKI as the refrigs die and people leave houses with assorted edibles and if there is a mass causality situation you will see a explosion of rodents followed by a sea of starving rodents as they over populate than run out of food. Disease and damage to crops and stored goods will be drastic in the wrong scenario. Unless we can get enough cats together..... Then we will need dogs to eat the cats..... Oh $#%+ I don't want eat dog, guess we better hope it doesn't come to that!

I ate dog it in the Philippines

off a barrel Bar-B-Q pit on the street my girlfriend at the time had the chicken's feet both on a stick.

anything tastes good Bar-B-Q'ed even lizard but balut is not a food I would advise anyone to have

as it takes a special stomach to digest such a delicacy and them beaks are hell on the lower intestine.

I ate dog it in the Philippines

off a barrel Bar-B-Q pit on the street my girlfriend at the time had the chicken's feet both on a stick.

anything tastes good Bar-B-Q'ed even lizard but balut is not a food I would advise anyone to have

as it takes a special stomach to digest such a delicacy and them beaks are hell on the lower intestine.

Balut, that takes me back. Could not get past the smell. Love the chicken feet, chewy. Monkey balls in Thailand O.K., BAMEBA 33 O.K., ZPUs, fireworks and red smoke put knots in my stomach.

Edited by VIS 9