Sign in to follow this  
Vicioustom

Wool Sweaters for cheap

So I was looking around for a replacement for one I'd finally worn down after years of neglect and abuse and it occurred to me that no one has mentioned these on any of the threads I've looked at. I mention them because wool, while old fashioned, continues to insulate while wet and doesn't react as badly as synthetics when faced with stray embers from the fire you just built. If you've ever had a synthetic melted to your skin you know what I mean.

These things have time proven, rugged, designs and for a very reasonable price. I pretty much lived in one of these during one of the most miserable relentless winters of my life. So for those of us that can't afford REI's latest offerings I present the USGI brown wool sweater.

The Army version http://wardenssupplyco.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=14

I'll include the version that Uncle Sams Misguided Children prefer just for fairness sake :rolleyes:http://wardenssupplyco.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_7&products_id=8

I personally prefer the army version, the button neck with the high collar helps lock in a bit more heat, and it feels a bit more robust. That's just my personal preference though, the USMC Sweater is just as functional, and a bit less expensive too.

This is a good piece of practical gear for any cool to cold weather environment.

I'd buy one but I'm never in cold weather. I think its definitely preferred over cotton sweaters for hiking/survival situations because of the insulation factor you mention.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the link vic, that is one thing that I want that I am lacking on...wool, want blankets and shirts...probably not underwear though. Have a few wool socks. Will have to order some as soon as possible.

No problem, wool clothing doesn't get much consideration these days it seems. All the newer survival oriented types seem to focus on all the high tech/latest breakthrough stuff. So I thought I'd reintroduce an affordable classic for folks just getting started.

And yeah, avoid the wool undies my friend... On a side note, did you know underwear is unsanitary in an austere environment? Just throwing that out there :rolleyes: