Sign in to follow this  
rckmsc628

Your Opinon: Top 20 Must have in BOB

I want everyone's personal opinion/preferences on this matter what is your top 20 must haves in your BOB!? Details Details! Specifics! For example:

Instead of just 1. Knife. Instead you put something like: 1.E37S-N SEAL Pup Elite Straight TiNi Blade. Kits such as first aid kit, sewing kit, gun cleaning kit counts as one. Things such as food counts as one but be sure to put quantity. Don't forget to list the bag/backpack itself! I'm interested to see everyone's choices. I will try to post my list soon!

lol, I'm not normally into these sorts of threads, but I'll play along because your so passionate.

1. LBT jumpable Medics bag.

2. Condor Golok (with about 10' of jute twine wrapped around the sheath)

3. Nalgene 32oz wide mouth (smoke color)

4. Benchmade 9051BK AFO II

5. Coghlans fero rod

6. Lensetic compass on lanyard.

7. Gerber compact multi tool, black with belt pouch.

8. maintenance kit (tuff cloth, mill file, small medium/fine oil stone, bore snakes in 9mm and .30cal, 6oz of food grade mineral oil, sail-makers needle, waxed nylon thread, GI double sided toothbrush, bottle of militec, 2oz or so of beeswax.)

9. Beretta 92fs, with serpa paddle holster and 8 magazines, 3 loaded with 124gr hydroshocks, the rest with 124gr nato mock ups.

10. Medical kit (Israeli bandage, Duct tape, alchohol swabs, CAT tourniquet, 4- 6" squares of plastic film, pelican L-1 with green filter, 50-doxicycline 100mg, 1 package quick-clot gauze, tooth brush, toothpaste, 6-saline salt packets, quarter bar of antibacterial soap, 6-is razor blades.)

11. Nikon 10x25 field bino's with belt case.

12. stainless steel cup.

13. 10' OD green paracord.

14. USGI poncho.

15. 2pr Covert threads rock socks.

16. Shemagh.

17. AA maglight with red and blue filter. (2 sets of additional batteries)

18. Writing kit (rite in the rain note pad with G-10 pen, wooden pencil, red and black sharpy bound in rubber band.)

19. Chlorine bleach in a 1oz visine bottle (wrapped in red duct tape and marked) for water purification.

20. 4 MRE entrees, and a couple candy bars.

Hmmm, interesting trying to rifle through my bag and figure out what my twenty best were without unpacking everything.

something we have in our survival kit, is $$ cash, no power=no eftpos, and a bit cash could buy lots, food/water/help...

Hmm, good point, I guess I'm just used to being mostly broke these days and not having much to put in the pocket let alone the bag, lol.

On a side note I don't have to terribly much else in there. It's actually my weekend get away bag missing some things I use everyday, I just keep it packed so I can go whenever I want.

Edited by Vicioustom

One of the big things we learned from the Christchurch EQ, so many people couldnt buy what they needed, as no power meant no eftpos, some shops were pretty friendly and just wrote everything down and trusted that folks would come back to pay when they could, human nature? would you want to depend on it?

1. SOG Seal Pup Elite Straight Edge

2. Molle 2 Standard Pack

3. Berreta Storm Px4 6 Mags Loaded with Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr hp

4. SKS with 4 Mags 200 rds (100 fmj +100sp)

5. Elite fa 1080d M-3 Medic Bag with Added 100 Ibuprofen, 100 Amoxacyline, 100 Benadryl, 4oz Alcohol, 2 QuickClots, 2 Toothbrushes, 1 Old Fashioned Razor, 1 Pair Scissors

6. Russian Military Wool Blanket

7. 4 1liter Platypus Bottles

8. Gun Cleaning Kit: Snake Bore 9mm Kit and Snake Bore .30 cal Kit

9. Katadyn Pocket Microfilter with 50 Coffee Filters

10. Survival Blast Match

11. Repair Kit: Small Sewing Kit, Gorilla Cloth Duct Tape, 100ft 20lb Power Pro Fishing Line, JB Steel weld, JB Wood Weld

12. Ultralight Folding Camp Stove with 12 Esbit Solid Fuel Tabs

13. Ultralight Gillie Blanket that I Made

14. MSR Alpine Pot Set

15. JetBoil Flash with 2 Fuel Canisters

16. Aquamira Frontier Pro (Military)

17. 3liter Platypus Water Bladder

18. SAS Survival Handbook and Compact Bible

19. 10 3600 Calorie Emergency Food Ration and 72hr Wise Meal Kit

20. Crovel Shovel with Sas Basic Survival kit Stored in Handle

Guest survival101

wow, just realized if i do this now, i don't have the top twenty things i need totally covered. time to get after it.

Edited by survival101

1. cold steel bushmans knife w /sheath has hone

2. wise freeze dried food 7 day kit

3. stainless steel canteen, cup and cooker in cover and water treatment tabs

4. 1liter stainless steel screw top bottle w/ carabiner

5. BIC lighter

6. magnesium fire starter

7. Swiss army knife explorer

8. stainless steel saw back machete

9. 100 foot hank of paracord 550

10. 6x7 tarp

11. wool blanket

12. Block & tackle / game hoist line replaced with para-cord

13. Suunto sighting compass

14. home made med kit weights 3 pounds has tinder and bleach medications bandages bug repellent

sewing kit is needles with dental floss peppermint candy

15. Ronco pocket fisherman has small compartment for accessories unless I am in a desert area

16. a few 4 inch long Duke spring traps

17. back pack wide shoulder straps all zipper pulls fitted with key rings and carabiners

18. folding camp chair

19. mixed ammo for flare gun and inserts .410 22LR flares

20. H&K flare gun with inserts

just for grins I would also have a

mosquito head net

emergency space blanket

emergency tube tent

map of local area / state

soft cover trapping book

book of knots

and a deck of edible plants playing cards

of course I would wear everything I could depending on weather you can always shuck it and

put it back on as sunny day and high altitude night or buggy forces you to adjust your wear.

Danner boots pronghorn I have another model but price and protection these cant be beat

treat the leather with mink oil or beeswax water proffer.

pair of kung fu shoes night wear

few pair of white tube socks

few pair of boxer briefs non white or bright colors

T shirt

denim pants and multi pocket BDU shirt

good quality rain jacket

emergency repel belt riggers belt

boonie hat

cotton scarf neckerchief

always carry a bandanna

knee pads elbow pads

leather gloves

polarized sunglasses with eye glass strap

1. Eberlestock J34 & rain cover

2. Esee 6 with Leatherman Wave & fire kit in pouch on sheath

3. GB small forest axe

4. Stainless steel water bottle 32oz

5. Coleman 32oz pot with nesting 16oz pot (want to replace with lighter ones)

6. Fire kit (wetfire cubes, cotton balls w/ vaseline, big firesteel, 2 lighters, other tinder)

7. sharpening kit

8. cordage, both bankline and 550 cord.

9. Katadyn water filter with coffee filters & bandana

10. Kifaru paratarp

11. Sitka, Russel APXG2, & Patagonia base layers 1 light & 1 expedition wt set

13. Military poncho & liner (raingear & ultralight sleeping bag)

14. 2pr spare wool socks

15. wool cap & gloves, also fleece baclava

16. Medical kit (vetwrap, quickclot, neosporin, gauze pads, various medications)

17. Gaiters (wet grass or snow leads to wet socks, boots, & feet without)

18. fishing and snaring kit, premade snares, picture wire, hooks & line, copper wire, fish gig head

19. Remington 7615 with Leupold scope, ammo, Otis cleaning kit, spare mags, open sights

20. S&W 60 pro series 357 with speed loaders, ammo, holster, speed strips

I figure that I'll likely be wearing good outer layers that the base layers can improve on if I bug out & wearing my Meindl Alaskan boots so I didn't include footwear and clothing on my top 20. They are sitting by my bag and would definitely go along. Also I chose to set my girlfriends bag up with the 22lr rifles (Rossi single shot and Ruger 10-22) and ammo so that the would be together. I'd have the single shot 22 in my list othewise.

Her bag is 32lbs including both rifles. Her pack is also a good Eberlestock, an X1A1. Having a good pack with a scabbard can really make the weight feel lighter. I guess I feel that a good 22 is priceless, and having a spare also gives us a second one so we can split up and hunt different places. My bag is 47lbs including my rifle, about what I'd carry on backpack hunts.

1. Remington Camo Evac Pack (w/waist straps and removable fanny pack w/16oz alum canteens), add cash to your evac bag (mine 15 1's, 2 5's, 10.00 quarters), and camo pack weather cover. (I spray my pack with camp dry, makes it water "resistant", it works)

2. Beretta Neos .22LR, 6 clips, 1100 rds Win 550 .22, bodyguard .380, 2 clips, 100rds pdx1, gun cleaning kit

3. 4 3600 cal bars, 12 carnation instant breakfast, 200 multivitamins

4. Gerber gator, Gerber BG Fixed blade, Gerber BG Large Survival Kit, knife sharpener

5. Fire Starter (Steel rod, 5 bics, 2 packs matches, 1/2 roll toilet paper, 4oz hand sanitizer, (2x ziploc), also spare fire rod in knife sheath.

6. Brunton compass, Maps of all my locations, Brunton Crank radio/light, 2 AA maglites, 8 AA litihium, 4 AA rechargeable, kodak solar charger, 1 AA headlamp

7. Trauma first aid pack w/meds and sewing kit (to stitch), snake bite kit

8. GOOD fishing survival kit (fishing line, bobber, flies, spinners, etc. (mine fits in a snuff can, 100yds braid 8lb test, 2 bobbers, 6 gold hooks, 4 spinners, 12 flies, split shots, etc)

9. 6 Snares, a small jif pb for bait (or backup protein)

10. SEEDS. Peas, Soybean, Tomato, others. Very important to be able to hunt, fish, gather, and grow your food supply. Plan for that immed. upon fire/shelter/water/food.

There is much more small items I throw in, 2 tubes ultrathon mosquito repellant, 200' camo paracord, multi-tool, tarp, bivytent, wool blanket, water tabs, 2 water filtration straws (great for on the run), trash bags, space blankets, bear oc spray, encrypted sd card w scans of all life info, camo poncho, rocky thermals, camo jeans, shorts, camo long tshirt, camo hat, sunglasses, backup wrist rocket slingshot w/2 pair extreme bands, backup combo compaass/magnifying glass/thermometer, cayanne pepper, pocket bible, some other good stuff. Always have a survival manual if you don't consider yourself an absolute expert. I carry important pages only of SAS. Snake boots stand next to the bag. Make sure you break in boots before you go trying to hike in them, that'll make you rethink your life over blisters.

Have at least 3 evac locations, 1 local, 1 within 300 miles, and a hot location, mine's in the midwest. Have all your maps and compass. That will leave you with 4 options. Stay put w urban supply, or one of your 3 evac locations.

My entire pack loaded (as it is) weighs 51lbs according to my deer scale. I can pack this in over 10 miles a day, and set-up camp in 1/2hr. Another important thing is fitness. You don't have to be a professional athlete, just in shape.

I also keep a truck pack and 12ga shotgun (200rds buckshot & 380), and an oh sh bag w/ 50rds pdx1 24/7. I also keep snake boots in the truck.

The .380 is attached to me if I'm not sleeping.

3 tier plus home, 4 tier evac system.

I can pretty much start a small commune with my main evac pack. I can evac for life with my vechicle, and I can evac with the simple oh sh bag for months. I have 1500rds of ammo and a 60 day rotating food supply at home. I also keep hurricane shutters close, pre-drilled, so I can hang them in about an hour. They are already painted "LOOTERS WILL BE SHOT ON SIGHT" in blaze orange. I also have a 75lb blue nose pitbull, for protection (and God forbid, food), and I keep enough dog food on hand for 30-60 days.

I also keep 2 small caches at my 2 main evac locations, similar equipment, survival takedown bow, dozen arrows, etc., some extras.

Fun stuff. My equipment is constantly evolving and changing as new items develop.

And one thing that no one mentions, incase of a localized situation, which is most likely, you need to have a cell phone that will roam all towers. I also keep 2 charged batteries for my phone in the bag. Their like $6 on ebay.

I have been hunting and fishing, trapping, all outdoors etc for 33 years. I am quite confidant that I can survive anything if I can evac. Confidance in yourself and your equipment is paramount to your mental state. Survival is about 80% mental, your mental gets messed up, it's going to alot harder on you, you will make bad decisions, cause injury, or die, simply by panic or being overwhelmed.

IMHO.

Edited by bowtechhunter

1. Canteen/Cover/cup/stand/water purification tabs X2

2. Mess kit/utensils

3. twig stove

4. Survival Straw Water purifier

5. Fire Kit/matches/lighter/Firesteel/Mag Glass/candles

6. Med Kit

7. Bed Roll/hammock/nylon tarp/wool blanket/sheet/groundsheet

8. Snare wire and Fishing kit

9. Sewing kit

10. AAA LED Flash lights and head light/ batteries

11. GI Poncho/liner

12. Belt knife

13. Victorinox knife

14. Leatherman

15. Trail Hawk

16. Toilet kit-soap/comb/Straight Razor and blades/toothbrush/Toilet paper/towel

17. AR-7 & ammo

18. Cold Steel Bushman

19. Binoculars

20. Ruger Auto 22LR more ammo

1. Camelbak w/ 2.5liter bladder

2. Plastic camp eating utensils

3. Folding pocket size 1burner stove

4. Aquamira emergency straw + bottle w/ filter +tablets&drops

5. Magnesium/water&storm proof matches/BIC/Ferro +tender

6. Med Kit

7. 100'paracord

8. black nylon thread/needles

9. LED flashlight +2sets of replacement batteries. AAA & 1x 8hour chem. light

10. 10'x10' tarp

11. emergency poncho, Emergency blanket <--(soon to be replaced by Bivvy)

12. fixed-blade hunting knife & min-folding blade

13. Bear Gyl. Gerber Machete, pocket size knife sharpener.

14. Multi-Tool

15. toiletries (travel size soap/deodrant/toothpaste/toilet paper etc.) + 1pak potty chem.

16. Survival Flash Drive

17. 2x 3600calorie rations, 6 servings Quaker Oatmeal (variety pack)

18. Ziploc with Meds, Vitamins etc.

19. Small stainless steel cooking pot

20. Smith&Wesson MP .45 + Winchester LE Ranger Hollowpoints

1. Camelbak w/ 2.5liter bladder

2. Plastic camp eating utensils

3. Folding pocket size 1burner stove

4. Aquamira emergency straw + bottle w/ filter +tablets&drops

5. Magnesium/water&storm proof matches/BIC/Ferro +tender

6. Med Kit

7. 100'paracord

8. black nylon thread/needles

9. LED flashlight +2sets of replacement batteries. AAA & 1x 8hour chem. light

10. 10'x10' tarp

11. emergency poncho, Emergency blanket <--(soon to be replaced by Bivvy)

12. fixed-blade hunting knife & min-folding blade

13. Bear Gyl. Gerber Machete, pocket size knife sharpener.

14. Multi-Tool

15. toiletries (travel size soap/deodrant/toothpaste/toilet paper etc.) + 1pak potty chem.

16. Survival Flash Drive

17. 2x 3600calorie rations, 6 servings Quaker Oatmeal (variety pack)

18. Ziploc with Meds, Vitamins etc.

19. Small stainless steel cooking pot

20. Smith&Wesson MP .45 + Winchester LE Ranger Hollowpoints

I noticed that you are not carrying any snares, fishing kits, or hunting weapons? Your survival rations would run out on my mountain in less than a week, if your ALONE.

Might want to pick up even a small single shot bolt .22lr, and 100 rds. 3-4 extra lbs.

No way of procuring food would be a serious challenge, and you won't get close enough to my herd to use a .45acp effectively. Maybe swap your m&p for a Judge so you can defend, hunt, and depend on your weapon. I currently own the same weapon in 9mm and love it, but unlike a my glock 9mm, it loves to jam after you put 100rds through it, and their mags, like hi-tech guns, are crap (in my op), if you keep your mags loaded round the clock, and do not rest your clips, as well as I didn't notice a gun cleaning kit as well.

While the US Army trained me, I am sure I could make it on your 20 items, simply because I make snares and trap, as well as trail and kill within 20 yards. Thats about the effective range of your 45acp.

IMHO Thanks

I noticed that you are not carrying any snares, fishing kits, or hunting weapons? Your survival rations would run out on my mountain in less than a week, if your ALONE.

Might want to pick up even a small single shot bolt .22lr, and 100 rds. 3-4 extra lbs.

No way of procuring food would be a serious challenge, and you won't get close enough to my herd to use a .45acp effectively. Maybe swap your m&p for a Judge so you can defend, hunt, and depend on your weapon. I currently own the same weapon in 9mm and love it, but unlike a my glock 9mm, it loves to jam after you put 100rds through it, and their mags, like hi-tech guns, are crap (in my op), if you keep your mags loaded round the clock, and do not rest your clips, as well as I didn't notice a gun cleaning kit as well.

While the US Army trained me, I am sure I could make it on your 20 items, simply because I make snares and trap, as well as trail and kill within 20 yards. Thats about the effective range of your 45acp.

IMHO Thanks

45acp versus squirrel or chip monk NOT GOOD IMO

IMHO Thanks

I live in a dense Urban area, my & wife's pack are merely to serve as something to get us somewhere else; for which i also have plans & gear. Being that the thread was asking for 'top 20', my basic essential 'top 20' are also contained in these smaller packs. I dont have any plans on eating ROck City Chipmunks or pigeons or any other urban wildlife. Even most of the squirrels here seem to be of african descent...

M&P .45ACP will work just fine. And giving very serious thought to making a rifle purchse soon. Trust me... this lil pack is just a small fraction of my prep efforts.

Edited by NavyVet_77

I live in a dense Urban area, my & wife's pack are merely to serve as something to get us somewhere else; for which i also have plans & gear. Being that the thread was asking for 'top 20', my basic essential 'top 20' are also contained in these smaller packs. I dont have any plans on eating ROck City Chipmunks or pigeons or any other urban wildlife. Even most of the squirrels here seem to be of african descent...

M&P .45ACP will work just fine. And giving very serious thought to making a rifle purchse soon. Trust me... this lil pack is just a small fraction of my prep efforts.

OMG! :eek: Africanized squirrels who knew now I know the world is ending. LMAO

I am guessing Navy means the "black" squirrels Michigan is known for. They are "black" phase grey squirrels and Michigan's lower Peninsula is the only place I've heard of them being common (not sure tho).

And Navy, no worries, they make good gravy as well...lol.

I am guessing Navy means the "black" squirrels Michigan is known for. They are "black" phase grey squirrels and Michigan's lower Peninsula is the only place I've heard of them being common (not sure tho).

And Navy, no worries, they make good gravy as well...lol.

yup... thats right.