Sign in to follow this  
DC Matt

Hand Tools for SHTF

I'm looking to pick up some hand tools for general use, but also for SHTF. I have the standard tool box (hammer, few screwdrivers, pliers, etc) for a small condo dweller. In addition, I have a few battery operated power tools (drill, circular saw, dremel, etc). However, I know I need to add to my hand tools for when we live the city and can get a bigger place, as well as, for SHTF. So my question to you, what would be on your list of must have hand tools?

So im sure some or most of you have seen the doomsday preppers on national geographic channel. One of the preppers on there invented or actually reinvented a tool (E-Tool). He called it a crovaul not sure how to spell it, pronounced kro val. So has anyone heard of this tool? Have one? Used one? Know were to buy one? Im not trying to steal your thread DC Matt, i think it would be a useful tool for you and other preppers, survivalists etc.

Thanks for feedback. Going to add big crow bar, smaller pry bar, small bolt cutter, and maybe sledge (if I can find a good storage space). Was thinking if I need to add any construction type tools to the list, but sounds like a better idea to focus on the urban scavenger tools first.

rck, no problem. Here's a link to the tool : http://www.crovelfoldingshovel.com/. Never used it or seen it in person. I did pick up a Gerber E-Tool to keep in the car during winter. Luckily haven't had to break it out, but it looks like it could handle a lot of work and got some decent reviews. Plus is was a about half the price (which worked for me). If you get one, let us know how you like it.

Just finished looking at the crovel and it's big brother for a few dollars more I think I would go with the Crovel big brother. It look's like a real nice set-up, but I just wonder if it would be worth the money, and that guy did bring up a good point last tuesday night when he said something to effect of this "What will you use to defend yourself and family when you run out of ammo"

bootstrap, nice. Glad you recommended it. I thought it looked like a great tool, but good to see someone else liked it. I do have a medium hunting axe, but something more rugged might be in order. Thanks for the link Auto. That rancher fencing plier seems like a good set up. Lots of tools in one for sure.

Thank now I need to take a look a all these tools again, see where the overlap is. Think I'll divide them up in Bug-in and Bug-out uses. Small pry bar and maybe something like those fencing for Bugging out. As always thanks for the feedback.

Hacksaw, and blades, hand crank drill (bit an brace?), extra drill bits.

Hacksaw will cut through almost everything and is low weight.

Hand crank drill can help you 'navigate secure areas' *wink wink* while on the move or foraging;lighter insufferably lower weight than bolt cutters.