Sign in to follow this  
Capt Bart

Gray or Gone

Just for a slight bit of Hummer.

When a bill collector calls.Or sombody I dont know.

I answer.This is lieutenant Smith who is calling???I see that you have called this number many times and what is your relationship with this person?(over my shoulder I yell" Dont step in the blood dumb ass the guys from the CSI have not been here yet") and I continue to ask questions about where they are located and why have they been calling so much?Where are you at and can I send someone over to talk to you?

Ok so you get the driff....

Grey hmmm what a strange concept to aspire to. I was living in the modern world and remained what I thought was totally off radar. Boy was I wrong. I found out when a family member of mine was promoted to a highly senior position in the foreign Intelligence community. In order for him to gain the clearances required they had done a DEEP background check on our entire family. Though they and I are distantly related (first cousins once removed) I was checked as well since we have contact more then once every ten years. After popping back on grid for a career change I had to under go a background check because i would be working around top level Dignitaries and their entourage's. The check came back in 20 minutes and passed as previously vetted. From 18 to 26 I had intentionally tried to leave no trace. But as I found out so long as you live in the world you leave foot prints everywhere.

If you want to vanish you have to leave society completely. Or take extreme measures to obfuscate you existence and tracks. There is a trick favored by a few of my friends that seems to work though does lead to some annoyances. Data flooding. Have a few dozen names you use for junk mail and anything else that doesn't require proof of identity put it out every where give them all your address phone number. Fill out tons of demographic profiles for products and online test or anything else give all sorts of random data. basically flood misinformation into the data sphere. IT doesn't make it impossible to data mine you and track you but it makes it more difficult. In this modern world information is power and money and there are a million ways to manipulate it refine it and pull disparate facts out to reveal you. Amazingly a company that specializes in data mining was able to hand a list of 30 names to the FBI on the evening of Sept 11 2001 identifying potential suspects involved in the bombing. This was done pro bono and as a project by the owner of the company not at the request of the FBI. In those 20 Names where all 19 of the Hijackers. That is data mining and that ten year old tech now.

As for coming for our guns I truly do not worry about that. No I dont think they will; I think they will just bankrupt us on ammo prices.

anyone know what to do if you lost several guns in a boating roll over on the river? is there paper work to file?

Yo Kevin: Rule number 1. Do not allow the police to engage you. Therefore do not call the police! EVER. Sorry about the gun loss, but in my opinion nothing good will come out of any report that you make on this issue. You will not get your guns back, the guns are lost or I am sure you would have found them, you will be on a police S__T list, and you will take abuse from the police for making this report. A loss is a loss, don't make it worse by involving LEO.

met a guy that had been a police officer for some time and then became a P.I. I asked him what kind of things did he looked into? he told me oh the usual. wife believes husband is cheating that sort of thing. he told me he can investigate 95 percent of his cases by computer. you can put something on facebook or even this site and then remove it. every thing is archived for later use. email accounts were his big scores on intel. crazy how much info you have floating out in cyberland. is being truly grey just a Fantasy??????

met a guy that had been a police officer for some time and then became a P.I. I asked him what kind of things did he looked into? he told me oh the usual. wife believes husband is cheating that sort of thing. he told me he can investigate 95 percent of his cases by computer. you can put something on facebook or even this site and then remove it. every thing is archived for later use. email accounts were his big scores on intel. crazy how much info you have floating out in cyberland. is being truly grey just a Fantasy??????

Fantasy? For most of us, yes it is. Even the Uni-bomber was not gray enough to keep from getting caught. It is just a matter of can you avoid popping up on their radar. Go out and buy a "sniper rifle" and a thousand rounds of ammo three days before POTUS shows up and you'll probably be visited by the secret service. Given the history since 1960 that is probably even a reasonable outcome. Part of being gray is to establish a baseline that you stay within. You can't avoid making tracks but you can avoid big changes. When I went to Europe my credit card company blocked my card until I could call them and tell them it was I and yes, I was using my card there. If the card companies notice, I assure you the data miners notice.

You can also avoid things like the 'social network' pages. Those things NEVER go away, they are prime mining sites and WHY would you EVER advertise that you did or would do some of the stuff that shows up there? Stay away from them!

As for archiving, if your data is on the computer overnight, it is backed up somewhere unless the IT guy is a complete idiot. Data preservation is their job and most are good at it. Saving data is easy, getting rid of data is really tough. It is saved in way too many places.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Fantasy? For most of us, yes it is. Even the Uni-bomber was not gray enough to keep from getting caught.

That is the point that i am trying to make. Being gray is something you do in order not to stand out. Being gray is not being a ghost. Gray is blending in not disappearing. As you put it the Uni-bomber was not even gray enough to become a ghost.

Grey hmmm what a strange concept to aspire to. I was living in the modern world and remained what I thought was totally off radar. Boy was I wrong. I found out when a family member of mine was promoted to a highly senior position in the foreign Intelligence community. In order for him to gain the clearances required they had done a DEEP background check on our entire family. Though they and I are distantly related (first cousins once removed) I was checked as well since we have contact more then once every ten years. After popping back on grid for a career change I had to under go a background check because i would be working around top level Dignitaries and their entourage's. The check came back in 20 minutes and passed as previously vetted. From 18 to 26 I had intentionally tried to leave no trace. But as I found out so long as you live in the world you leave foot prints everywhere.

If you want to vanish you have to leave society completely. Or take extreme measures to obfuscate you existence and tracks. There is a trick favored by a few of my friends that seems to work though does lead to some annoyances. Data flooding. Have a few dozen names you use for junk mail and anything else that doesn't require proof of identity put it out every where give them all your address phone number. Fill out tons of demographic profiles for products and online test or anything else give all sorts of random data. basically flood misinformation into the data sphere. IT doesn't make it impossible to data mine you and track you but it makes it more difficult. In this modern world information is power and money and there are a million ways to manipulate it refine it and pull disparate facts out to reveal you. Amazingly a company that specializes in data mining was able to hand a list of 30 names to the FBI on the evening of Sept 11 2001 identifying potential suspects involved in the bombing. This was done pro bono and as a project by the owner of the company not at the request of the FBI. In those 20 Names where all 19 of the Hijackers. That is data mining and that ten year old tech now.

As for coming for our guns I truly do not worry about that. No I dont think they will; I think they will just bankrupt us on ammo prices.

If they wanted to stop people from using guns they could just STOP the manufacture of ammunition. Granted this is a long term prospect, but sooner or later the supply would dry up. Also stop the sale of reloading equipment and powder. Yes, I know that there still will be a lot of ammunition out there but , if you had a small amount of it would you go out and target practice? Would you sell off some of your supply? What then? The Government has time to wait. Just try to remember a time when you have waited for them to do something for you..... Just saying.

If they wanted to stop people from using guns they could just STOP the manufacture of ammunition. Granted this is a long term prospect, but sooner or later the supply would dry up. Also stop the sale of reloading equipment and powder. Yes, I know that there still will be a lot of ammunition out there but , if you had a small amount of it would you go out and target practice? Would you sell off some of your supply? What then? The Government has time to wait. Just try to remember a time when you have waited for them to do something for you..... Just saying.

Black powder and molds for the lead will help in that case. Still, if you use percussion caps, those could be hard to come by. I can make BP and the ammo, but the percussion caps are beyond me.

Well, that might work. There would be only one draw back. That being that the projectile would be much too small to be effective. Also the fouling from the powder would be excessive. Then you think that you might use smokeless propellent....not a good idea. Black powder gives the projectile a strong push out of the bbl. with an even build up of pressure. Smokeless gives a detonation with a high pressure build up, contained by a cartridge which forces the projectile out of the bbl. with a much higher velocity.

A larger bore of .32 or larger could work with black powder.

It's not easy now, to be "gray" but you can make yourself legally dissapear as much as possible, if you are resourceful enough to pay attention. Like those grocery store affinity cards to get the "special sale price"? It's the grocery chain's largest source of profit, anything you buy with it is tied to the debit and credit cards and checking accounts you use. Every single time you swioe that debit or credit card, your information IS being sold to an information broker. There is nothing that is not for sale, if

You or your client has the money to spend on it. Sign up for email reminders to have your "free tire rotation" or your oil changed, guess what, the powers that be now know what vehicles you have or are driving as well by color, make, model and

license plate number as well as how younpaid for the service. Think those pharmacy and medical records are secure? Ever had a medical bill go to collection? Those records are now in the public domain, same with all property records, and evennyour personal income tax filings can be purchased from information brokers outside the US, not that I do that of course.

I have read about this theory and also read about the other parts of the Constitution that protect you from laws that prohibit access to freedom already granted and also selective taxation to achieve a law without it "being a law".

Good example would be a "voter registration test" or "sin tax on alchohol". Those we used to keep people from being able to vote or buy whiskey (unfortunately us down here can go into good detail on both) the same way as a tax on ammo or outlawing of ammo would be an attack on your second ammendment rights.

Now the tax or loopholes for obtaining ammo would need to be deemed "excessive" or selectively unfair and not equally applied to all guns or persons.

If the goal was to eliminate the use of guns and they prohibited the manufacture of ammo, then bootleggers would find themselves in a similar situation to meth manufacturers who first just appeared on lists for buying "too much" cold meds with ephedrine in them... Eventually, the lists were a problem to maintain, so now ALL consumers have to get a prescription to get effective cold medicine because meth-producing agents are no longer freely available in drug stores. So you'd have to expect that powder components would have something similar happen.

I think going gray might involve a fair amount of just being a "normal" person. For example, I have a Facebook page and actually enjoy keeping in touch with family and friends that way. But I:

Don't post pics of my home/property/vehicle

Don't post status updates about what I'm doing at any given time

Don't comment about news except in a general way

Don't bitch/moan about the government, my employer, etc.

My status updates are usually links to cool things I've found online (music I know my friends would like, an inspirational quote or beautiful image), general "happy holidays" types greetings, non-offensive jokes, and the like, and I only update/add things once a week or so. I'm active, but so bland that all you'd know is I'm a middle class, 35-year-old, single woman with a huge extended family who is against breast cancer and domestic violence and seems vaguely left-leaning.

I have no doubt that I would be easy to track down, and that's I can live with that because I wouldn't EVER put something online that I couldn't answer to if TPTB (the powers that be) decided to ask questions.

As for prepping, I'm still in early stages yet and don't have vast reserves of anything to jeopardize now, but IN THEORY I could see having a couple of "surrender caches" that I would give up to either a government authority or marauder, while still maintaining ones that are hidden. I would also be comfortable with answering only the questions that are asked, and not volunteering information during questioning. For example, instead of, "Here's a list of every firearm I own or have ever owned," I would wait to be asked if I had X and then would say yes or no, whichever is accurate.

Oregonchick,

Just so. Being invisible is impossible so hiding in plain sight becomes necessary. A great deal of intelligence is spent on looking for 'tells'. Not orders directing the fleet to sail but increased commissary purchases. In the days of sail, an increase in barrels for water was a key that a fleet was preparing to sail for example.

A great deal of intelligence is spent on looking for 'tells'. Not orders directing the fleet to sail but increased commissary purchases. In the days of sail, an increase in barrels for water was a key that a fleet was preparing to sail for example.

Hmm. Cash purchases and private sellers make more and more sense.