Sign in to follow this  
PatzerDave

LDS Canneries

I'm sure many of you are aware that LDS (Morman) canneries sell food to the general public. I haven't read all the threads so if this information is redundant I apologize in advance. Youtube has a bunch of videos on the subject and I noticed some of the people on the Doomsday Preppers show had LDS boxes in their food stores. If you're interested go to

http://www.providentliving.org

and click on order forms in the left margin. Print out the form and fill it out. On the top of the order form page is a tab for locations. If you click on that there is a map of the U.S. and Canada. Just click on your region and it will give you a list of "welfare centers". Call in your order and they will tell you when to pick it up (usually two weeks). Some places might have you can it yourself at their facility, the one near me just has you pick it up already packaged. Most of the stuff comes in #10 cans that should be good for at least 20 years depending on storage conditions (temperature, etc.). Some foods come in bulk packages and you have to package them yourself in Mylar bags (or whatever your preferred method is). These people sell their food just above cost so it's a great deal. They also sell Mylar bags and oxygen absorbers.

Edited by PatzerDave

PatzerDave, we were fortunate enough to be part of a group doing "dry pack" canning at one of these facilities. We were part of a group of about 15 people. The facility had two can sealers. The bulk food (based on the orders of the group) was brought out and we began filling, adding oxygen absorber, sealing, labeling, and packing the food (assembly line style). As one type of food was completed, we moved on to the next. In about two hours we had completed hundreds of cans. It was a great learning experience for me as well as a major addition to our food storage. Talking with the folks there we heard varying opinions on the "best" way to do things. Some preferred using mylar bags for certain items while others swore by cans only. It gave me a lot to consider. If you have the opportunity to be a part of a group doing the canning, I highly recommend the experience.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a list of LDS cannery locations? I tried looking on google but the few links I found for my area ended up giving me 404 messages when I clicked on them.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a list of LDS cannery locations? I tried looking on google but the few links I found for my area ended up giving me 404 messages when I clicked on them.

Did you use the link Dave had in his post? It's in the middle of the post.

I found something. The closest ones to me do not offer canneries as far as I can tell.

They might call them welfare centers. Call the one nearest you and I'm sure they'll be able to help you out, or at least steer you in the right direction.