Sign in to follow this  
Floyd

Fire starters

I had to fumble my way though it, but i heated up some parfin in a small crock pot, using a bowl floated in a pan of simmering water is what I used to do for working with wax before I got married and got all the nifty appliances. I mixed in saw dust liberated from an acquaintances garage turned wood shop until it hat a consistancy like crunchy peanut butter and then clamped in into a hastily made wooden mold, fabricated out of scraps I had lying around. I left extra material sticking out of the mold to try to create pressure, not sure how well it worked. I walked away and cracked it open the next morning, it took a bit of prying to get the bars out, but that was probably related to how rough my mold was.

There are probably a ton of things I did wrong or could have done better, hopefully one more knowledgeable than I will post a better way to go about. They did work though, so I was satisfied with my little experiment.

i like the old school egg carton fire starters, take a old cardboard egg carton, melt wax, cover the sides, add dryer lint in each egg holder, cover with melted wax and BOOM, thing will burn for ~5 min dependoing on the amount of wax and lint you use. and you just break off one or two or 3 egg parts depending on how many you want, i keep them around all the time at least 2 dozen of em.

I have been using the Rutland fire starter squares. A box of 144 squares ( about 1 1/2" square and 12 squares to a panel ) are about $12. They burn for about 8 minutes or so and light easily. I would surely like to use 1 of those squares to get started then build up a larger fire than work my way up from a spark of flint n steel and dry grass.

I use them at home in the fireplace and like them and figured keep a box back and use a box, and keep them rotated. Since I already have them on hand, I would throw them in when GOOD. Easy fire is hard to be overrated.

I do like the make your own style and it is a good skill to have, but for the time, $, and effort it takes to make them, I'll just pick up an extra box while at Tractor Supply, Wally world or ACE Hardware

my fire kit has all this:

vaseline with cotton balls

steel wool and 9v battery

blast match

charcloth

flint rod and striker

storm proof matches

bic style lighters

candles

penicle sharpener

Edited by awake

a five minute highway flare is the best thing going for a quick fast , hot fire. If you mean what to carry? Bic lighters, Steel wool, Birch bark. Hot fire in seconds. A piece of Steel wool

The size of a walnut will catch a spark and hold it for quite a while. Birch bark will burn even when wet. Bic lighters are really good as long as you keep them dry.

Get out and practice different techniques. Try all of the locally available woods, grasses, weeds and stuff in different weather conditions. Practice, practice , practice. Any one can light a fire in the back yard under ideal conditions. Go out into the woods when it is wet, snowing, and blowing and then see what is the best. None of this does you any good if you can't make a fire in less than ideal conditions which is pretty much most of the time.B)

I kinda do things on the cheap.Whenever I buy a bottle of Ibuprofen they come with a lot of cotton in them.When I empty the bottle I just put some vaseline on the cotton and put it back into the empty bottle.

Most of the bottles with the snap on lid are water proof anyways.So there you go I have lots and lots of these to restock.I always carry a Rod and Magnesium block.I take both with me.Another thing I do is to take them fire starter logs and chop them up into smaller parts.They will lite everytime trust me.I buy them by the case at wally world.O yea and always carry a Bic.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bayou-Classic-Western-Red-Hot-Fire-Starters/19516926

Today I made some cotton balls with vasoline. WOW ! I struck the fire starter and the second time it started like magic. I also used dryer lint and parafin wax in paper egge carton. Havent tried that method as of yet. This forum is so helpful. I thank all here...

http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/_jthy/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=939

Here is a site I found this morning with a blog where they were discussing making char wood, char cloth, etc for tinder. They even offered a few tips on making it without the aid of a "tin" in the field. I haven't explored the entire site yet, so they may offer some other tips/tricks as well. Have funa nd good luck experimenting.