Sign in to follow this  
Vicioustom

Old fashioned possibles.

I've seen a lot of high tech gear on here, and I have quite a bit myself. But I wonder, what are some of the old fashioned low tech items people carry and use?

I personally at a minimum keep a double wrap of jute twine on knife sheaths or handles when possible as it has a lot of uses and is extremely inexpensive to buy in bulk. I also keep a bit of beeswax in my kit, again, a ton of uses and fairly inexpensive.

A couple items I have acquired in quantity are zip ties in various sizes, lengths, and colors. Uses are endless. I just rehung some posted signs on gates at the base camp. Another item keep in all kinds of lengths and hook types are elastic or rubber straps. These secure gear on top of car racks, ATVs, and lash gear into the truck bed. I also keep several ratchet straps for buckling down gear securely. And it may seem to simple to mention, but I have two full sets of mechanics tools, sockets, rachets, screwdrivers, hammers, pliers, open end wrenches, etc. Keep plenty of duct tape and black electricians tape, too.

Long ago, when I was first a Boy Scout, I was taught how to prepare a walking stick. It started with a good stout, straight, five to six foot stick. Around it you wrapped a couple of feet of duct tape. Then you added at least 50 foot of parachute cord as a handle. On top a j-hook was screwed in for retrieving things and to act as a tarp prop through a gromet. Some tied a small compass and whistle to it. There were many other optional features.

Since then I have never been without that walking stick. Over the years I found it to make a good defensive weapon and tied beween two trees a place to dry your socks, hang a tarp for shelter, and set your pack or a pot. The cost is just about zero so anybody can afford it.

It helps provide stability on a rough trail and to support some of the weight on your back. Never leave home without one.

Long ago, when I was first a Boy Scout, I was taught how to prepare a walking stick. It started with a good stout, straight, five to six foot stick. Around it you wrapped a couple of feet of duct tape. Then you added at least 50 foot of parachute cord as a handle. On top a j-hook was screwed in for retrieving things and to act as a tarp prop through a gromet. Some tied a small compass and whistle to it. There were many other optional features.

Since then I have never been without that walking stick. Over the years I found it to make a good defensive weapon and tied beween two trees a place to dry your socks, hang a tarp for shelter, and set your pack or a pot. The cost is just about zero so anybody can afford it.

It helps provide stability on a rough trail and to support some of the weight on your back. Never leave home without one.

Admittedly I've never been the walking stick sort. Is it a scout thing I wonder? I keep hearing about how useful they are. I'll have to finally give them a try when spring rolls around.

One thing that I have that I think is pretty cool is something my father in law gave me a few years back. It is a powerless drill. the shape is just like a large screwdriver but when you press down on it, it spins and turns the drill bit. Just something I think it is pretty cool, even though at the time when he gave it to me I probably didn't think much of it.