Sign in to follow this  
Vicioustom

On the Subject of Religion.

Only in tragedy do people change..

Quote from Capt.Bart//

"Then examine the path America is on. The collapse of Western Civilization is inevitable unless we make major changes. I suspect that those changes will result only from a rediscovery of the necessity of the divine in our lives. "

I have seen it to many times on a personal level.People wont change unless they are forced too and have no other choice.

The Question is will the change last???

25% Do and the others only coast untill they are back on there feet and they seem to be in Control again.

Its a personal choice and its on them,We can only support and Pray.

I fought the "organized religion" battle in my own mind for years. And still there are times when I get frustrated by the holier than thou attitudes of the sanctimonious. However, I just can't let those people be more influential to me than God. Religion, or should I say " faith" is a personal thing, so that is between you and God. Just don't let personal pride stand in the way of reaching out to Jesus. None of us get out of this world alive so John 3:36 pretty much sums it up for me.

Autonomous,

another source is to examine the lives of the ancients to see what traits they have that made them great; traits that we might like to emulate. Plutarch's Lives is an excellent study in what was right and wrong with the greats of his and earlier times. Amazing to some is the fact that the traits that make men great haven't changed all that much in the last 3,000 or so years.

An item that has always fascinated me is that it doesn't seem to matter much what the religion was, when a nation lost its original fervor for its God or gods, that nation soon decayed and fell. That or changed into something that was almost unrecognizable. The Roman republic fell as its people lost their devotion to their gods. When the emperor's proved that they were lousy god's, the empire turned to Christianity and the empire fell. Napoleon was a 'divine', god-like emperor (look at the paintings and such) to the French people but when he proved susectible to defeat, the people lost faith in him and his empire fell. Same with the Mayans in Central America; apparently the god-kings lost favor with the people and the empire collapsed. When Communism failed to fulfill its promises and the rulers came to be seen as greedy oligarks, the Soviet Union fell apart.

Whether we like it or not, we are creatures of faith. It seems the only thing we learn from history is that we truely learn nothing from history.

Just my not so humble opinion.

"It seems the only thing we learn from history is that we truely learn nothing from history"

Very true. Personally I am not a big fan of religion, I think too often it is by maniacs to wage war and divide people, that's what labels do, divide people into little controllable herds so that things seem black and white and killing your neighbor seems like the only thing to do to preserve a way of life. I am religiously and politically on my own because whatever "ism" you choose, it was developed or at least some point used by men who are trying to stay in control. Are war and death any less horrible if they are organized and each side thinks they are correct or justified? I like to watch lock-up, there are always gang wars going on involving some pretty gnarly and even sometimes intelligent dudes, I always think to myself that the prison guards and warden would be pretty well effed if instead of fighting with each other, the gangs combined their efforts to better their situation, of course that would be horrible because they would probably escape and do less than nice things outside, but it makes me ask the question, even in America, a "free" country, if cannot move past differences between religion, race, etc, how free are we? Are we free at all or just continuing the same pattern that has been relentlessly repeated? again "It seems the only thing we learn from history is that we truely learn nothing from history"

Scientology, lol, all hail Zenu.

IHopeThatitsZombies,

I would suggest that because evil people do evil things in the name of good, it doesn't make good any less deserving of being pursued. We err when we judge the past by our standards; I hope the future is kinder to us than we are to those who came before us. Different times have/had different values and standards.

Religion and politics touch the core of our being and so people are passionate about their point of view. That is a good thing. That they try to force their view on others is an evil; terribly destructive and too often the result of reacting with emotion and not prayerful thought. It is easy to assign 'evil' to the merely different or ignorant. It is hard to examine other's motives dispassionately when we are being harmed.

In RVN I saw a scribble on a latrine wall that said, "KILL A COMMIE FOR CHRIST!" I think it was meant to be sarcastic (Lord, I hope so) but it does express the feeling of many who 'think' they are Christian but are not followers of Christ's path.

Just my not so humble opinion.