Sign in to follow this  
JonM1911

Krav Maga

Ok, so I figured with all the talk about unarmed self defense I'd go on my Krav rant. I've been doing it for 2 years and I've tested to "level 3". There are 5 levels, then your black belt. Krav is not a martial art, its a self defense concept, for lack of a better term. It was developed by a gentleman in Israel back in the '30s IIRC. He took things from different fighting styles, strikes from Mauy Thai, boxing, BJJ, etc. He would get in fights, not purposely, and then re-think what happened to see how he could do things better. Eventually it was adopted by the IDF as their standard hand to hand training. Its not pretty, it doesn't rely on fancy moves, its basic natural movements. Its hard to explain without showing it, but I'd recommend checking it out f you're looking for good self defense training.

Here's a video from a while ago, before I started. Form isn't the best, but let me say I've experienced the level 2 test, which was the level 1 and 2 tests combined, that was a 3 hour test, the level 5 test is longer than that so form does start to suffer. My leg is still bruised from kicks at that was in December.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9LKUhX3qew&feature=related

I'd considered getting into to Krav for a while, but decided against it for complicated and unimportant reasons. The system seems solid, from everything I've seen, and I've been impressed with it when having friendly matches, and "talking shop" with Krav guys over the years. I tend to recommend it to people I know who don't have the time/interest in following the same sort of "lifetime" of study that I have.

I think if I had it all to do over again I would have gone into Krav and spent all the time I put into martial arts doing something more productive like taking over the world.

Krav is good

it is better to learn one thing well than many not as well

I am guilty of learning many as no one art was perfect but krav is as good as it it for combat

some arts are to immersed in mysticism and religious crap hoodoo and voodoo and some get so

snake fascinated they forget there is a real and dangerous world out there and their students

and looking to protect themselves not be converted to a eastern religion or be groupies

and followers of the sensei like some spiritual Yoda.

for those who feel and are not capable for medical or size or age reasons stick fighting is a

good alternative.

I think everyone needs to know that different arts were begun as there were some lack to another

version or a hatred of the master of the dojo family quibbles money or prestige

dave allen a Irish comedian one of my favorites

spoke of a man who learned martial arts and finally could break a brick

because he would always get beaten up in bars so now he can break bricks and goes into a bar

and in moments out on his arse bleeding and bruised as he laid in the street and there is a brick,

he grabs it and breaks it.

there is a lesson there lurking in that LOL

You bring up something valid there Snake. I mentioned on another thread that there are some martial arts that are useless in actually bringing violence to bear on another human being, actually quite a few these days.

As far as learning one well as opposed to many not as well, I'm inclined to disagree since that train of thought is goes against the very foundation of systems like Krav, where they take sampling from multiple styles and blend them into something new. These days all I have to do is point you to a UFC fight, I realize it's not mortal combat, but there are few if any single style "masters" there. Those who only have one bag of tricks don't last very long.

tinderwolf

all you have to know is sticking your thumb until you can feel the back bony part of the eye socket

my favorite is lifting a person off their feet and slamming their head into something imagine dropping

a water melon.

and a BIC STIC PEN my favorite I can make anyone do what ever I want LOL

That's a bit vague, as compared to what? Or what doesn't seem effective about it? I'm genuinely curious.

no ground defences at all. what "street fight" have you seen that both parties remained on their feet for very long? Master bruce said he wish he had spent time learning a ground defence and more with

wing-chung. in the video there were so many counter move/attacks that could have been had that would have stopped the fight rather quickly, way to many wasted moves in my opinion. thats just my opinion, and that doesnt mean im right either ya know.

no ground defences at all. what "street fight" have you seen that both parties remained on their feet for very long? Master bruce said he wish he had spent time learning a ground defence and more with

wing-chung. in the video there were so many counter move/attacks that could have been had that would have stopped the fight rather quickly, way to many wasted moves in my opinion. thats just my opinion, and that doesnt mean im right either ya know.

No I hear you. I'm not a Krav guy myself, so I don't claim to have any expertise about the system. But I've known and trained with some people who were pretty deep into it. They had a ground game, again I don't know if it was just them or the system, but it was using the most basic and effective escape/defense/disabling techniques. It wasn't a particularly deep or diverse ground game, but just the bare bones.

Krav isn't really a martial art, at least I don't consider it to be one, it's a self defense system so counters and the like have little to do with it. It's all about explosively exerting your will on someone to make them not a threat anymore or to escape.

Just my $.02. If I'm wrong hopefully Jon will come back by and set the record straight.

No I hear you. I'm not a Krav guy myself, so I don't claim to have any expertise about the system. But I've known and trained with some people who were pretty deep into it. They had a ground game, again I don't know if it was just them or the system, but it was using the most basic and effective escape/defense/disabling techniques. It wasn't a particularly deep or diverse ground game, but just the bare bones.

Krav isn't really a martial art, at least I don't consider it to be one, it's a self defense system so counters and the like have little to do with it. It's all about explosively exerting your will on someone to make them not a threat anymore or to escape.

Just my $.02. If I'm wrong hopefully Jon will come back by and set the record straight.

your probably right with this too. i dont know the system either, im just going off first impressions.

i tend to look at things a little differently sometimes.

Ground is handled a little differently in Krav. Yes we do ground work, a good amount of it, but our goal is to not go to the ground. The entire goal of Krav is to end the encounter as quickly and violently as possible so you can run. Think about it, is it easier for me to strike, knee, punch, etc. and then run away, from a standing position or from the ground? I don't have to get up if I'm already standing, so our goal is to not go to the ground. That being said, we do teach ground work. Starts out basic, attacking from guard and while you have someone in guard. Buck and roll so that you finish on top, break guard, and escape. As you progress you move to chokes and headlocks from the ground, that's usually in level 2. Level 3, what I'm in now, builds on that. You are right that ground is not a main component of Krav, but it is taught. I've been trying to get to a BJJ class, but they run at 2030 and that's just a little late for me. On a side note, I'm planning on taking the Level 1 Instructor exam sometime this spring, basically a 3 day seminar with another 4 hour test...My level 3 test was 4 hours, and they suck.

Forgot, as to the video, that was a test. Its stuff the have to know to progress, not necessarily how a fight would go down.

I am a professional {i hate that word}

I have been paid to maintain propriety and demure demeanor in guests and personnel.

in other words I tried to keep the locals and hired help from killing my client at public functions\

or at their luxury digs.

led the procession for the caterer and oversee the serving of the guests.

make sure the truck got to location and the food riot that ensued caused no harm to servers

{guys throwing sacks off the back of the trucks}.

I was responsible for site survey and construction of seating and delivery systems

find the best place to squat and wait for ....................

Been a tour director and pointed out points of interest maintaining supplies for extended

nature trips and manage wildlife encounters.

read what you want into that.

in the interim I would recharge my batteries and contract for future work

{I drank and had fun until I got a contract to do what ever having a few professions}

during an early midlife crisis I decided to hire on to a government entity and settle down

{that was the worst experience of my life and was the only time I was threatened by the

people I worked for for doing what I was being paid to do, weird}

after retirement I chose to maintain my skills and accepted employment in the entertainment industry

I ran nightclubs for rich folks who could not handle the stress of interacting with customers

{fighting drunks, bikers and thugs who attempted to extort the employees {nude dancers}

feeling my skills were underutilized and wanting to expand my horizons and use my multilingual skills

I contracted to oversee a multi ethnic benevolent organization.

{ran a group of Mexican bars although Mexicans were in short supply so they had been augmented

by other south American entities hence the multi ethnic}

benevolent well not really more violent.

part of my duties to mediate between staff and consumers and maintain direct communications

between the parties and insure no group used improper tactics to impede or derail daily business

operations,

{ try to keep the hookers working as wait staff not to deal substances in the club and the customer

to get a fair price as these hookers sold beer for different prices and the sit with the high bidder}

clarify and maintain cooperation among parties until a mutual agreement could be reached.

{this means I had to knock the snot out of someone until cash flowed one way or to another

as if the client got gypped the waitress refunded the money if the customer was a tightwad

I loosed them up.}

I have been in more fights in one night against more diverse weapons and ethnic groups than

can be imagined, in a world where weakness is not respected and failure is not an option

if you want to live, which does not mean you can't fail but there will be a sever penalty.

I think krav is fine I have played with them all {all that I came in contact with}

there are no magic beans or elves in trees making cookies but there are BG / cold blooded killers

many people I dealt with were ex military or anti gov types from every part of the globe.

and if you do not know how to read them or second guess them your worm food.

the best way to get your head handed to you is think your the smartest fastest guy in the room.

life is like the beach it looks pretty but there are undertows and deadly creatures swimming and

sun and cold water and crap floating in the water and unseen rocks and coral we all swim in it

and some become desensitized to its danger or oblivious those get picked off first.

Remember there is a difference between sport arts and combat art. I suggest learning there history. Judo, Karate, Aikido, Tae Kwon Do and all new systems of sport arts. The UFC is a sport art, or one contestant would be dead. Krav Maga is a limited combat art to teach soldiers good combat skills in a short time period. Ju jitsu was the art that gave birth to Judo. Aikijutsu=Aikido, Okinawian Kenpo=Shotokan, Tae kwon Do and other Karate systems. Ju jutsu, Aiki Jutsu, and Kenpo all were used on battlefields. Find a good combat art and stick with it for a year. Learn what is use from other arts as well. I have been in multiple arts for 34 years and have been teaching for the last 24 years. I have found good and bad in every art. The marines do takedowns that can get you kicked in the groin, Gracies system that is taught to the INS, Customs, and secret service can get you shot, bad gun disarm techniques. No one system offers everything but some are better than others. You emtpy hand skills should also apply to armed combat as well. Practise hard and often and look for knowledgable teachers that dont have huge egos and unbeatable techques.

Welcome katoku66..

I agree with you..Not everyone is 5ft 4inch..The common size of most fighting systems...

Im 6 ft 4inch and a lean 215..My muscle group is different,my legs have more power than my arms,and have a good reach..Aikido works for me..

A 36 inch reach helps when Holding steel..lol