Sign in to follow this  
Texas Bill

M1 Garand best options for ammo?

If I were to hypothetically aquire an M1 Garand, what would be my best options for ammunition? I have heard that the modern 30-06 Springfield round is a little too high pressure, so I wanted to quiz the crew here over what they use. I am also aware of some military surplus rounds floating around out there from Greece, Iran and Korea (South, I hope) and I wondered if anyone here has any experience with these sources. Please share your knowledge and experience with me.

At one time I was tripping over mil-surp 30.06,hard to find now. So I started reloading my own useing mil-srp powder and pulled bullets. Every so often I would run across some deals at gunshows. I have since sold my 1903 but the last commercial stuff I bought was Pzi Partisian I think it was called and they shot fine at about $16 a box....

Thanks, Bibleguns. I like the Privi Partizan I have used in the past- solid manufacturer. I have been told that I could get away with using the 150 grain commercial ammo in a hypothetical Garand M1, but I wondered about the surplus ammo market, which I understand is tightening up in all calibers.

Guest kevin

how much does a m1 garand cost at gun show these days? (hypothetical or other wise)

i've got a 1903 springfield. how does the garand compare?( never used one). my springfield will fire the 150 grain remington fine.

Sorry, Kevin, if I seem a little coy, but if I were buying an M1 Garand it would be a "shooter" not a collectible grade rifle and I would be purchasing from a private seller. At gun shows, expect to pay between $750-$1,200 for a Garand depending on the condition and manufacturer. If you qualify you can purchase from the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) for as little as $595, though I were going that route I would go ahead and pay a little more to get a nicer one.

I have wanted one of these for quite some time and I just wanted to do right on the ammo.

You have three choices;

Buy an adjustable gas plug from MidwayUSA or someplace similar. Your rifle will then be able to shoot current production commercial ammunition. You risk injury or damaging your Garand shooting commercial ammunition without an adjustable gas plug. The only exception is Hornady is now making a load specfically for the M1 Garand.

Your other choice is to join CMP and buy surplus HXP ammunition from them. HXP is made for the Garand and does not require an adjustable gas plug.

A third choice; go to gun shows and buy CMP ammo. at a huge premium from someone who purchased the ammo. from CMP.

Guest kevin

oh i understand coy. and understand the caution on a prizes piece. own a few guns that would fall under both.......and one that goes under turd.......was just asking about the garand as a replacement . its for my wife so recoil would be an issue. she has a remington 770 270(said turd) and shoots it rather well, as well as my 1903, was just wondering about the quality and recoil to see if it was an option for her "long range" (400 yards) , big game(wild boar/deer) gun.

Kevin,

I would take a pass on the M1 Garand for the little missus. Recoil is not the worst I have ever seen but that thing is 9.5 to 10 lbs unloaded, about the same as the M-14. Honestly, if you are looking for a heavy caliber hunter rifle for your wife, I would recommend the Savage in 30-06 or .308.

I have the Savage Edge (no Accutrigger) in 30-06 and I am good out to 400 yards. I got the rifle and a 3x9 Bushnell scope (bore-sited for free) for $199 on sale about 8 months ago. Rifle is crazy accurate and will take down just about whatever you want. On the other hand, I think you need a special mount to put a scope on the Garand.

oh i understand coy. and understand the caution on a prizes piece. own a few guns that would fall under both.......and one that goes under turd.......was just asking about the garand as a replacement . its for my wife so recoil would be an issue. she has a remington 770 270(said turd) and shoots it rather well, as well as my 1903, was just wondering about the quality and recoil to see if it was an option for her "long range" (400 yards) , big game(wild boar/deer) gun.

If a bolt gun fits the bill, look at Bill's recommendation. That is a nice set up. If you want/need a semi-auto check out the PTR-91 (American made HK-91 - same specs/gun, just different manufacturer) for the .308/7.62X51 NATO. Shorter and lighter than the M-14, same round, mine came with a rail to add if I want a scope (I'm considering an ACOG), but a solid rifle. It is a European model - the recoil can be stiff, especially if you shoot American style with a solid cheek weld. The Europeans don't use the cheek weld - it's a different way to shoot but it works and the recoil is better. You're looking at a $900 gun there.

For your wife, if you have a taste for mil surp guns, I'd personally go with an SKS. relatively light weight, rugged, reliable, and both the rifle and ammo are fairly inexpensive. Depending on how recoil sensitive she is that could still be a problem, but compared to you 1903 it'd be next to nonexistent. They make high cap mags for them, but loading them with a stripper on the integral 10rd box is actually easier, and empty strippers take up less space than empty mags.

I also realize the caliber is intermediate, but I've taken good sized deer with the 7.62x39 before, and a good condition SKS shoots true.

Just my thoughts on the matter, I have a High-point carbine in 9mm for my wife personally (the pistols are not so hot, but the carbines are pretty sexy).

Guest kevin

thanks bill,capt. and vicious. yes 10 pounds is to heavy and hear last gun was a savage(thought i was up grading.......was WRONG) and vicious she has an sks but we like the bolt action for stand hunting. capt. im gonna take a look but my max for a hunting rifle is $600.........and has been for 20 years.....oh crap my dads is still $250.....im just my dad plus inflation.

Well, the hypothetical M1 Garand is a reality and now I just need to stock up on the appropriate ammo. 1944 Springfield rifle rebarreled in 1954 after the Korean War. Mechanically sound, nice barrel (better than expected) with all new extractor and pins. Stock is not great but it is a shooter so I don't care!

How available are the magazines for the PTR-91? I have started hearing good things about this company after a period of production problems but I haven't realy considered this rifle until recently. Like I need another! I'm still looking for some good military surplus for my most recent find.

How available are the magazines for the PTR-91? I have started hearing good things about this company after a period of production problems but I haven't realy considered this rifle until recently. Like I need another! I'm still looking for some good military surplus for my most recent find.

Bill,

They've gone up a bit. I got some from Cheaper-than-dirt for $2 each. That's up from about $1 each locally but he was OUT (some ex special ops guy bought all he had!). Readily available at the $2 price. Uses either its own mag or the same mag as the HK-91 so there is a pretty good selection out there. You can buy special mags (clear, higher capacity etc.) for more money but I picked up a half dozen standard mags and am content.