Sign in to follow this  
ash1076

Bug Out Motorcycle???

Hello,

I am a long time newsletter reader first time poster so go easy on me.

I live in a congested part of the country, and as I was sitting in bumper to bumper traffic on the way to work yesterday I got to thinking about what a mess the roads would be in a real SHTF scenario.

I first thought that at least with a 4x4 vehicle you could off-road if you had to, but most of the major highways in my area have big sound walls up and nowhere to “off-road” once you are on them. So I got to thinking about a bug out motorcycle. Fast, maneuverable, easy to weave in and out of traffic or abandoned cars, and most bikes have at least some off-road capability if need be.

This is meant to be a fun post, I know there are many obvious disadvantages to being on a motorcycle opposed to being in a large enclosed vehicle. But I still thought it would be fun to hear others thoughts, and designs on this. I am looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say.

If I can get some good ideas I may even try building the "ultimate bug out bike"

Welcome Ash:

Other than potential drive-bys, I think a motorcycle has a lot of advantages, and the ability to avoid traffic by going off road if need be, could be huge. You'll just have to pack smarter than some of us that would be using 4 wheels

Now as far as "going easy on you" goes, you must be confusing this site with some others your have visited. This is absolutely the best site for the free exchange of ideas without the fear of some jerk putting you down...well, most of the time anyway. (I know of a few sites I won't go back to because the redneckedness <and my wife says I are one> outweighs the benefits). We have fun here and there are some great men and women, young and old, with great ideas. Don't be a stranger

I think a dual sport style bike, maybe in the 3-600cc range, if you can find a good one, not sure what's on the market these days, would work out pretty well for a self sufficient minimalist. I'm not sure how the type of bike would balance with a cargo system loaded. You'd have good mobility over a variety of terrain, respectable carry capacity, and fuel efficiency. On the flip side I'd be pretty cautious with one in a societal collapse scenario, folks hit motorcycles all the time as is, and that's with legal pressure to prevent it.

Thank you everyone... I appreciate the warm welcomes.

Please keep the ideas coming. My thought is this....if people can pass along ideas and suggestions on what the ultimate bug out bike should do or look like, I would then like to take some of those suggestions, in particular the ones on how to overcome or at least improve on some of the disadvantages that would come along with a bike, and then build it and share the results with all.

Sorry for not giving you the welcome, I'm new here myself. I kind of mulled it over in the back of my mind for a bit and wondered about how well a cycle trailer might roll with the sort of setup I'd mentioned earlier. Which then got me to wondering about the possibility of one of those old school WW2 messenger bikes or equivalent possibly with a sidecar.

Welcome. I'm in a similar boat. Been wanting to get my motorcycle license for a while now, but it makes even more sense in a SHTF situation to have a good bike (situation depending of course). You could get one with a side-car. A little wider, but adds some versitilty to it. I've been eyeballing the Ural brand bikes. http://www.imz-ural.com/. Pretty sharp looking. More of a dirt/off-road bike, than touring bike.

Welcome. I'm in a similar boat. Been wanting to get my motorcycle license for a while now, but it makes even more sense in a SHTF situation to have a good bike (situation depending of course). You could get one with a side-car. A little wider, but adds some versitilty to it. I've been eyeballing the Ural brand bikes. http://www.imz-ural.com/. Pretty sharp looking. More of a dirt/off-road bike, than touring bike.

To me that looks more like the old school multi-terrain bikes. That's why I had thought an old fashion wartime messenger bike or a dual sport bike would be pretty handy. they can handle rough secondary road or light off road while not beating you senseless or handling questionably on pavement.

I have to admit I am kind of with Vicioustom on this one... In my mind I had pictured an older WWII style bike, but some of these other suggestions are great. A lot to think about.

I love the kick start idea, I think having that as a backup would be invaluable. I am a bit concerned with a side car though, I think it may make it too wide and will negate the obvious benefit of a BoM being able to get around all of the vehicles either abandoned or stuck on the roads. I was thinking a tow behind solution would be better rather than a side car, but I am far from an engineer, and I love hearing all of the suggestions.

Now the fun stuff. Do we try to add some protection to the bike? Do I try to add a mounted weapons system? If so what practical or imaginative ideas could I incorporate into the weapons mount?

Vic, yeah, they are more three wheeler than motorcycle, but would be fun to drive (I imagine). Any links to the bike you are talking about? Love to see it. I think one of those 70's CB Honda bikes would be a good bet too. They are everywhere and you can get pretty 'cheap'.

realistically, I don't think I'd add weaponry, depending on your riding skills firing a pistol one handed is possible, but I'd rely on my mobility and speed to get me out of trouble. Now, with a passenger, or sidecar you now have a gunner although I'm not entirely sold on the idea of a sidecar either just looking at it as an option. I really wouldn't want to shoot while driving a motorcycle either.

On the other hand I could imagine a few way to creatively mount something between the handle bars, Some thing with either volume of fire, or spread would be ideal, but not being an engineer myself I'm not sure about the effects of recoil going directly into he bike.

Vic, yeah, they are more three wheeler than motorcycle, but would be fun to drive (I imagine). Any links to the bike you are talking about? Love to see it. I think one of those 70's CB Honda bikes would be a good bet too. They are everywhere and you can get pretty 'cheap'.

A quick Google search led to this result. Similar in a lot of ways to what you posted.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanenglish/3935122273/

Here's a German variant, note the MG-34 advantage mounted in the sidecar.

http://www.clash-of-steel.org/gallery/pages/view_entry.php?image_number=226

With the though that you could separate a side car I wonder about building one that can play the role of side car or bike trailer depending on what your driving through.

Edited by Vicioustom
corrections

Yeah, the Russians during WWII, or right before, 'borrowed' a few of the German BMW motorcycles and reversed engineered their own version. I think you can take off some of the side-cars, but it makes them ride a little different (from what I read). Think it all depends on the bike. The Urals have it so the side-car wheel can be used as 3WD, I believe.

Welcome to the site. An excellent question.

Back in flight school I had a Honda 175 that I just loved. It was a street legal dirt bike. I think that is a key factor. A great many off road vehicles are not street legal and if the situation is not a complete collapse of law you could lose your transportation or be jailed over riding a 'dirt bike' on the street.

An additional factor is if the bike is too heavy to be easily handled off road you have restricted yourself to paved surfaces. May not be a bad thing but think very carefully about your escape route. In a gun, the intended use determines caliber and platform. In a BOV, car or bike or ATV, the intended route determines the parameters of the vehicle.

Just my not so humble opinion.

The Harley is Bad A$$ but if you can get the German bike with the mounted gun that might be a better choice haha, just kidding. Its super important to think about the comfort of the bike, especially if you're trying to go great distances (over 15 hours of drive time) I'm with Capt Bart on this one, street legal dirtbikes are comfortable, you dont have to mix the gas normally, maintenance is easy, and they can be found just about anywhere especially the old ones, just keep looking around you're guaranteed to find something that fits your needs.

Welcome to the site. An excellent question.

Back in flight school I had a Honda 175 that I just loved. It was a street legal dirt bike. I think that is a key factor. A great many off road vehicles are not street legal and if the situation is not a complete collapse of law you could lose your transportation or be jailed over riding a 'dirt bike' on the street.

An additional factor is if the bike is too heavy to be easily handled off road you have restricted yourself to paved surfaces. May not be a bad thing but think very carefully about your escape route. In a gun, the intended use determines caliber and platform. In a BOV, car or bike or ATV, the intended route determines the parameters of the vehicle.

Just my not so humble opinion.

I agree 100%, I had a 175 enduro when I was a kid, which was street legal, and I could go anywhere with that bike. Nowadays I might need something with a few more cc's, as I am a bit heavier than I was then, but I have been keeping my eyes open for a good used ultimate backup BOV in case the trail ain't wide enough for a full size pickup.

I remember back when i was about 8 or 9, there was an older guy somewhat of a hermit, that lived alone and kept to himself. He lived on a back road a good ways back in the lower forty and his primary means of transportation was an early 90`s model yamaha dirt bike that he rode every where and had fashioned an old milk crate onto the stiffer rear fin or wheel guard, which ever, and he always had jugs of water buckets with fish bait or any other thing he could fit in there. i do remember seeing red clay bricks and 3 quarters of a cinder block in there before.

I personally have a 2011 KTM 450exc. http://oldboystoys.com/2011/05/06/motorcycles/2011-ktm-450-exc-review/ here is a link to it. I love this bike, but the down side is that it is a maintenance horror. I have to check valve clearance every 15 hours. Also It has a short fuel range. (bigger tanks are available) The reason I bought it was the Dakar Rally.

If you are looking for something that can get you to your BOL, beat the snot outta it, and only have to wash it once in a while, then i could recommend 3 bikes

1) http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/DR-Z400/2012/DRZ400S.aspx?category=dualsport

This is a great bike. A friend that I ride with loves it. He can punish his 400 all day and nothing breaks. If I could go back I would probabally buy one of these.

2)http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/dirt_bike/141_0305_honda_xr400r/index.html

Another good bike that will never let you down. This one would be for some one who is under 175 lbs. It can hander bigger people just dont do any jumps.

3)http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/products.php?model=3879&class=13&group=M|&LANG=en

This would be a great bike. Cheap, air cooled, reliable and you can get a huge tank for the thing. Small enough to put on one of those hitch bike carriers and still be out of the way.

If the above bike seem a little too small to you i recommend reading a few book by robert wicks. Adventure motorcycle series. They are printed by haynes. He goes over all the big bikes. 600cc +.

Hope this helps

I think one of the drawbacks of a motorcycle would be the noise. A few weeks ago I was watching an episode of "Finding Bigfoot",(the name is kind of a misnomer - they're still looking) and they had a couple of electric motorcycles. These things were nearly silent. I don't know how far you could go on a charge, and I'm sure these things cost a pretty penny, but I thought they were cool.

According to wiki ( which I hate to trust to much) the Zero dual sport electric motorcycle has a 60 mile range but I could not find anything at all about the charging system other than it a lithium system and the battery life is said to be over 300,000 miles "kids be good to that old bike when I gone"

HI yes I'm new here

Im on a gsa 1150 bmw. its my Dayle ride to work. my thot with the potential threat of earthquakes and living by mount rainier a dormant volcano. and then there's me just being me, this bike fit.

I can ride the 48 miles home from work and git there in a big hurry to help my family.

bike I like gsa1200,

triumph tiger explorer

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/motorcycles/range/adventure/tiger-explorer/2012/7944

diesel KLR

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/24/automobiles/24KAWASAKI.html?_r=1

bike G.H.B

git home bag

(+) will identify things in bikes bag's

keep it dry "zip lock and water tight box's" in pack and on bike

FOOD & WATER

-+water 2 32 oz on bike and 32oz in pack pluss a camel pack bladder

-iodine tablets

-coffee filters

-steripen water purifier

-1 brock down MRE

-5hour shot

COMMUNICATION

-AM/FM Radio with batteries

-ham radio

LIGHT SOURCES with batteries

-LED Flashlight's on body

-LED hed lamp

HYGIENE & SANITATION Kit supplies

in bug out bag or git home bag

-bare of soap scentless

-toothbrush toothpaste

-scentless deodorant

-sanitary napkins

-straight razor

-scissors

-Toilet paper

-eye care

TOOLS most of the tools are on bike (+) will identify

-+GPS

-map home and or bug out spots with alternative routes and transportation in the notes

-compass

-+run flat plug kit

-+small tool kit mm of tools

-small thing bailing wire

-150 feet of paracord

-5 XXL zip ties

-+small Roll of Duct Tape

-+Machete just my preference

-+hatchet Note: if i left my bike this gos with me

-Binoculars - in ez rech – See game and enemy before they see you

-+oil

-+fuel filters and air, pantyhose for your air filter "keeps ash and sand out"

-+2 rode flares

-+fuel siphon, long punch and a hatchet.note: 38% atf, diesel, hyd, thin oil and Vegetable oil will work in gas, no more then 1 gal out of 4 gal

-+ 3 gal gass can Note: check this out rotopex.com

-knife on belt

-multi tool on belt

FIRST AID Kit and supplies

red box

-Vaseline

-cotton balls

-instant blued clot or quick clot

-bullet wound pressure

-First Aid Booklet/Manual

-Burn gel and dressing

-Turniquet

-Insect repellent

-Sun block

-Special medication

-advil, tylenol, hi pane pills Over-the-counter pain medication [aspirin]

-moleskin

-ACE wrap

-Activated Charcoal (for poisoning emergencies)

-Adhesive strip bandages - assorted sizes

-Adhesive tape

-Alcohol - rubbing 70%

-Alcohol wipes

-Antacid

-Antibiotic ointment

-Calamine lotion

-Cotton swabs

-Disposable latex or vinyl gloves

-Face mask for CPR

-Gauze pads - various sizes

-Roller gauze - self adhering

-Safety pins

-Salt

-Tweezers

-Waterproof tape or Electrical tape

-Kerlex

Firearms - in your git home bag

-one good hand gun 6 clips

my thot, any gun you are carrying need to tack ammo that can be found anywhere 9mm or 45.

MONEY in bug out bag or git home bag

-At least $100 per parson quarters for phone calls the rest in small bills 1s,5s & 10s

-per-paid calling cards

-small bottles of hard alcohol, smock and goold, good for trades.

IMPORTANT PAPERS in bug out bag or git home bag

-Emergency Instructions, map, gps coordinates and routs routs,

-Copies of documents such as birth certificates, marriage licenses, wills, insurance forms, ccnc,

phone numbers, address, credit card infor, etc. keep all on thumb drive with the pick you wont to hang on to.

STRESS RELIEVERS

-inspirational reading

-paper, pen and sharpy,multicolor alcohol markers

EXTRA CLOTHING

-4 extra socks Fox river

-2 underwear

-1 dark shirts

-dark or black hat Wool stocking cap

-work gloves for rop work, cutting wood what ever

-2 rain ponchos

hows it look?

just thot it might git u rolling

I've been riding for a few years...so I'll throw in my two cents worth.

I think your better off with a sidecar than trailer. If the Ural has 3 wheel drive (and the old German bikes that they are based on did, then thats a plus).

If you have to off road, the trailer would in my opinion be more of a liability than an asset. Think in terms of riding along on the side of a hill...the pitch and the angle the trailer would be at as opposed to the bike itself. Sidecar could/would have the same problem as well.