Sign in to follow this  
ash1076

Bug Out Motorcycle???

as a rider i have found that people in cages (regular cars) dont pay much attention or dont see you and will run you off the road, in a shtf tthose people would run you off the road without any though and weaving in and out of traffic would be unsafe at that point where traffic would be backed up.

on the off road side i would consider going with a four wheel all terrain bike due to being able to carry more gear( they can be made street legal).

I've been riding for a few years...so I'll throw in my two cents worth.

I think your better off with a sidecar than trailer. If the Ural has 3 wheel drive (and the old German bikes that they are based on did, then thats a plus).

If you have to off road, the trailer would in my opinion be more of a liability than an asset. Think in terms of riding along on the side of a hill...the pitch and the angle the trailer would be at as opposed to the bike itself. Sidecar could/would have the same problem as well.

Look at the rokon trailer it is made to follow your balance and I think a sidecar would be more a liability for balance on hills and clearance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXc5QqMLI5g

man the Rokon 2x2 bikes are bad &$$ as long as you dont need to out run anyone in the open or on a maintained road, at that piont you might be missing the speed. but, I dont see how some of the accessories cant be modified to fit my GS BMW. specifically the rokon trailer. Im considering the idea of building one for the GS.

side cars are nice. i hade one for a min when i worked at DMC sidecars, but it just didn't do what i wonted at the time. now i have 2 kids and a wife im reconsidering the idea.

think there need to be at less 3 options for your motor cycling it out and pick one to best match your situation, bug out routes and planes.

1 dart bike street legal, lite, fast and go anywhere

2 BMW GS style bike go fasts for a long time on any rode and some trails with all the basic gear you need

3 the Rokon go any where with all the basic gear you need. think this would be good for wont's your at your bug out location trail head, assuming its location is in the deep woods.

Maneuverability on a vehicle with such a small footprint as a motorcycle, IMO would be a great 'scouting' vehicle. Ride ahead of your group, easily weave in and around cars and other obstructions. A nice dual-sport with hard bags is in order for my house. Right now i have a VMax which is loud and i would never dare taking it off road. I like the idea of a dual-sport in a survival situation. More easily concealed than a car or truck. 40+ miles per gallon means you can go farther on less. I am getting either an old enduro or a newer dual sport.

Look at Rokon (2 wheel drive) motorcycles lots of cool attachments 1 wheel trailer, generator,farm equipment the tires are 2.5 gallon drums for water or fuel only draw back top end 35 mph

http://www.rokon.com/index.php?p=1_11_Rokons-In-Action. Definitely check out the accessories

how can you not like a bike with a honda engine that ranger looked good.

I'm possibly looking at an enduro for a cheap commuter as well as potential BOV. I already have a couple vw buggys set up (one might potentially be turning into a sandrail) and I think a bike would work well hand in hand with a buggy/rail or two. I'm not very emp savy YET and I know a little about cycles but haven't ever owned before. How emp safe are cycles and is there a general cut off year or weak point for them not to be affected? I'm also a smaller fellah, 5'5" 160 and I've noticed that most enduros seem to be super tall....older bikes shorter in general? Thanks for any info...this is something I've been pondering for a bit now.

I'm possibly looking at an enduro for a cheap commuter as well as potential BOV. I already have a couple vw buggys set up (one might potentially be turning into a sandrail) and I think a bike would work well hand in hand with a buggy/rail or two. I'm not very emp savy YET and I know a little about cycles but haven't ever owned before. How emp safe are cycles and is there a general cut off year or weak point for them not to be affected? I'm also a smaller fellah, 5'5" 160 and I've noticed that most enduros seem to be super tall....older bikes shorter in general? Thanks for any info...this is something I've been pondering for a bit now.

Been thinking on the EMP angle on a older bike I guess you could put a entire electrical system in a small faraday box and do it twice then with a few tools and a little practice swap them pretty quickly

as far as a motorcycle trailer I thought that it should have some custom considerations just for the fact of being off road and pintle connection instead of a ball hitch.

here is a site that I thought may have some merit and it should be not much wider than the bike when your off road those trees close in and ground clearance should be slightly more than the bike I would consider it a good

idea to double as shelter as well as a trailer .

my best explanation would be build it like a V with a cap. inside the cap hangars or snaps and the V can be dropped flat for a deck the cap would be part of the top and tarps making up the sides like a pop up camper

even a canoe on a rail trailer anyway something that you can set in or cover your self

and with the use of a tarp a tent over/ with a wind block as well as use it to hold your equipment in route

the last is a sleigh if you live in a area that has more winter than summer either way I can see where this

Idea gives lot of flexibility and as light as any trailer

http://www.singlewheel.com/OneOfAKindFR.htm

http://www.porta-bote.com/dimension.php

http://totem.scottcanoe.com/

I would guess it could not be over 8 foot long 250 pounds with payload I thought the tire size should equal the rear bike tire or best scenario all 3 should be the same so a spare would be completely useful.

the Rokon motor bike has a side car already made to buy it is a neat idea and with a honda motor and side car

with a trailer hitch built on now that is versatile

it is not a waste as it could be used to do yard work I hate buying something that is a one trick pony.

Hi I’m (Little Miss Motorcycle Girl), brand spankin’ new to this community! I just discovered this site I think around 2300 8/24 and now rolling into 0520 am!!! (Consolidating & improving my 72hr/BoB has been on my mind a lot lately~this site will help me do it right~very glad for this site!)

I don’t own a car, I have two bikes, so once I saw that there was a forum, I INSTANTLY typed in motorcycle in the search because I was wondering how people fit their shtf gear on a bike!

Capt Bart 02-10-2012 12:14 PM & terrance450 02-11-2012 12:24 AM are both on to something in my opinion. My roommate has a BMW 1200 GS he loves it, but his friend has a smaller street legal dirt (Honda) and quite simply goes and does so much more in the dirt than the 1200 GS. Something like my friend’s Honda would be my get out of dodge bike of choice. I got to ride the Suzuki 400 it was a bit on the tall side for me, but I adapted to that better than expected (I’m 5/7”), I think that would be the good mix between power for street riding and agility in the dirt. But to be true, I’m currently talking out of my arse…I don’t have enough dirt experience to really talk dirt bikes. Now, how to load up all of the 72 hr kit necessities on my bike! I think it can be done. Those Iron Butt riders…they know how to pack. Some of them are on the advrider forum http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=625143&highlight=shtf

a wealth of moto information!

I’ll keep notes when I start setting up my GSX-R w/BoB(s) and update this thread with my ideas & request for ideas from you! I’d start with the soft side bags I used for my trip from Orange County to SLC. (Comfort schmufort…that gixxer broke my body in at about 3,500 miles~ which was approx 50k miles ago.) I appreciate everybody’s contributions!!! This is pretty rad!

Weapons mount would not be possible without a sidecar and second person to operate. You need to be able to turn and unless your target is directly in front of you, you won't have a high degree of success. A motorcycle is more suitable to fleeing then standing your ground. Now being able to include detachable weaponry might be good idea. Make it easy to draw and re-attach. Still, shooting accuately and driving a motorcycle regardless of how you mount the weapons is going to be really tough.

On a side note I can't wait to own a bike again.

Edited by Breaker

I've been thinking about something similar myself. In all honesty, You could probably make due with a steet-legal dirtbike. They're light, extremely versatile for terrain, and good mileage. Maybe outfit it with a few luggage bags from a local mike store. Coupled with a few tie downs you could probably manage to strap down a ruck sack or small duffel behind you, plus a backpack on your shoulders.

I ride a smaller-ish dirtbike (street legal potential, just no mototrcycle operators license. Its honda 180 [i think its 180CC! Been a while since I got out on it!]) and I could see myself being able to rig some sidebags up or just getting some tie downs, bugee cords or whatever to hold my Ruck.

Hope this helps a bit.

Edited by William Tell