Sign in to follow this  
Vicioustom

What you'll always have.

I realize I'm new here, but after a bit of reading I've noted a disturbing trend. There's a lot of talk about Hollywood finishers like the nose into the brain, using writing utensils as weapons, Anti-personnel knives, man stopping guns/rounds. However no one has really addressed or paid interest to the one piece of equipment you'll always have, you're own body.

Please, don't misunderstand where I'm coming from here, I'm a tool using human and quite proud of that fact. There a considerable amount of attention paid to fire making without gadgets, tool making from what you can forage/scavenge. However, few seem to consider personal protection without gadgetry in a very serious or realistic light.

I've heard all of the nonsense about, "I'm in poor health." "I'm not physically large enough for it to be feasible." "I'm female making it impossible." "Well I always have six guns and twelve knives so it doesn't matter." "If your up against more than one person you can't win anyways." "I have no talent for it." "I don't have the time." and the list keeps going on and on.

I'd like to hit a couple of the high points quickly. If your health is good enough to survive the EOTWAWKI then it's good enough to break limbs. Size and sex have next to nothing to do with it, if you can exert twenty pounds of pressure using both hands combined, and learn to systematically move your feet breaking people is easy. Do you take all of your guns and knives into the bath with you, have them strapped on when your making love, you will always have moments when using them is either impossible, or ill advised.

What I'm getting at in a kinda long, meandering way is this. All of you fundamental survival skills should be solid, not perfect but well rounded and functional. I like to think of it as a pyramid of skills, with the base being all of the low tech bare bones skills, like making fire with a stick, or pounding out cordage with some rocks. When it comes to personal defense the basis should be the fundamentals of breaking the human body with no gadgetry, and building from that.

If you pyramid doesn't have a good base, where are of your fundamentals are functional it compromises the upper levels of the pyramid, and creates a shaky, unstable set of survival skills.

I'm reminded of a fellow soldier some years back who was attacked with an agriculture implement in a mud hut, he was seriously injured. Here we have one of the best trained fighting men in the world, carrying some of the best gear in the world, and his personal skill with his equipment was excellent. However, he'd never paid much attention to the fundamentals of personal defense, which is not uncommon in our high tech military these days. I spoke to him some time later, and he admitted that if he'd simply had a better understanding of zero range combat he would have avoided a hospital stay, and the woman who's attacked him out of fear may have survived the encounter as well.

These are of course just my thoughts and opinions. My hope is that it will provoke thought, and hopefully strengthen others.

First Welcome.great post..

Most of what you say is true and its about Balance, personal defence should be about" in close and personal" our Ladys have adressed this much and some of us have the training or benifit of getting our Butts kicked to learn how "Not TOO"..Balance in personal defence,stoping something at 20 ft, first a hand gun.Stoping at 6 ft and closer is a knife and the skill to use it,up close and personal.Unarmed is not to be prepaired,but have the knowledge to use your body to its max effect is what everyone needs.

I have never been with out "STEEL". A blade is more frighten than a gun when I pull it UP CLOSE and Personal and yes I have used it in personal defence.I do have years of study and use of personal defence that will break your arm if you put your hand on me with out warning.

Realy Im a nice guy...But dont get aggressive with me..I will drop you like a bad habbit because I know talking does NOT work ..JMHO..

Edited by 101matt

Yeah, I should clarify, on one point, I'm not advocating the notion of wandering the wasteland with nothing but kung-fu :o

If you have a bullet launching device, use it obviously, but violence can be a fickle mistress and you never know when you'll be tackled by the guy that flanked you, have an equipment failure etc.. The possibilities for needing to go "hands on" are near limitless, and that's the wrong time to realize you don't know how to break an arm, lock in a good blood choke, or smash an eye socket with an elbow.

I will clarify also.

my 2 older brothers who I grew up with are 9 and 10 years older.They thought it was fun holding me down as teenagers.I learned that a parry knife worked very well.

At 21 and discharged both were paid a visit.Open hand,marks were left.I was 6ft 4inch and a well fit 200 lb.Both my brothers are 5ft 7inch and were over weight.

I love them both very much......BUT if need be you do what needs to be done.

Welcome and great first thread, what you say is very true. I am not a very large guy but have the confindence I could defend myself against bigger and more fit foes becuase I feel I think outside of the box and know how to use my body in the defense sense.

I know how and can but I will not explain because it will get a person arrested

even if their attacker is armed you will need witnesses and even then the damage

may cause them to turn on you and even if you are not charged at a later date

you will more than likely be sued for damages and disfiguring injuries in a tort case.

All it takes is one person in the crowd to make a statement like "they did not deserve that"

and your up to your azz in alligators.

I do not think this is a good topic for a number of reasons