Sign in to follow this  
Guest kevin

what "saying" sums it up for you?

Guest kevin

I have noticed that many members posts have a saying or quote tagged to them ( your gun is like your nose no one else should pick it for you. ect) and enjoy them.(wish i knew how to do that). that made me wonder what is your favorite "words to live by". mine is something my dad used to say;

"if you take a shot at me you wont be loosing anything but the gun powder, the lead will be coming right back to you..... fast."

if anyone has one they'd like to post id love to hear'em.

"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." Skyrim

"hope for the best, plan for the worst." unknown

All I can think of on the spot.

"Luck is a really lousy plan A." Capt Bart, thanks!

Edited by Gilla
Found one

"stop upsetting my carefully constructed, overly simplistic view of reality with facts and reason"-me

My saying that I use is " Eat shit and bark at the Moon"..because nothing else works and they wont listen..."pearls before SWINE"

dont wast your time..lol

A few of my favorites are:

1. History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives.

- Abba Eban

2. The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced.

- Frank Zappa

3. It's always darkest before it turns absolutely pitch black.

- Paul Newman

Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship.

Buddha

A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history.

Mahatma Gandhi

Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

If one does not understand a person, one tends to regard him as a fool.

Carl Jung

"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.” A Ghandi quote that always stuck in my head.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." Nietzsche

"The foolish man thinks he'll live forever if he keeps away from fighting; but old age grants him no a truce, even if the spears do." Ballad of the high one.

For laughs?

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography." ~ Mark Twain (sometimes attributed to Ambrose Bierce)

For inspiration:

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." ~ Albert Einstein

"It's not the load that breaks you down, it's the way you carry it." ~ Lou Holtz

"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree." ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." ~ Robert Frost

And by the great Sun Tzu (who wrote The Art of War):

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."

"If the mind is willing, the flesh could go on and on without many things."

"Opportunities multiply as they are seized."

"Build your opponent a golden bridge to retreat across."

"Thus we may know that there are five essentials for victory: (1)

He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight. (2) He

will win who knows how to handle both superior and inferior forces.

(3) He will win whose army is animated by the same spirit throughout

all its ranks. (4) He will win who, prepared himself, waits to take

the enemy unprepared. (5) He will win who has military capacity and

is not interfered with by the sovereign."

I find the eclectic mix of authors quoted somewhat reassuring. It never ceases to amaze me what a well read group of folks preppers in general truly are. It is interesting that our 'elite leaders' often consider we plebeian masses as uneducated illiterates yet I often find folks here who are quite well read and very educated in the classical sense of that word. Kind of makes me proud to be associated with you guys. Like the pioneers of early America we are well educated in the important issues of being human. Thank you for letting me be part of the group.

By the way, Blackthorn, I really like

The fact that no-one understands you doesn’t make you an artist.

There are any number of variants on that theme such as rude and uncouth behavior doesn't make you an artist.

There is a debt of service due from every man to his country proportion to the bounties which nature and fortune have measured to him.

Thomas Jefferson

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

A ship in a harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are for.

John A. Shedd

Men do not care how nobly they live, but only how long they live; although it is within the reach of everyman to live nobly, but within no man’s power to live long.

Seneca

This one probably most directly relates to the mission of these pages:

Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Guest survival101

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers."

"I'm a delicate flower of the South." (said with tongue in cheek)

"If you don't like it, move on." -me

"Patience is not one of my virtues."

"If you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best." Marilyn Monroe

"I can't go on. I'll go on." Samuel Beckett

Pior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Preformance (Command Sergeant Major Dykes said this to me when we were standing in our battle position on Folda Gap)
mine said the same thing-lol,i used it alot raising my kids when the "why" questions pop up. as a medic one of my favs is.."All bleeding stops...eventually.."

Ok so here is one of my favorite quote..

"We dont need no stinking Badges"...

This sums it up .

Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival.

C. S. Lewis