Sign in to follow this  
PatzerDave

Crovel

Is anyone familiar with these or have any experience with them?

http://www.gearupcenter.com/new-crovel-extreme-shovel-multi-tool/

I heard the guy who invented this on Coast to Coast AM a few weeks back. I think he's also going to be on the Doomsday Prepper series on Nat Geo. I was on the fence about getting one because it seems a like it might be a little gimmicky. And at five and a half pounds it probably isn't a good option for the BOB. However, I thought it might be good to keep in the truck so tonight I decided to order one. It costs more than other entrenching tools ($109 plus about $25 for the Kydex sheath) but it looks pretty solid so I don't mind spending a little more on something if I think it will last. I guess we'll see.

I've seen similar tools, and maybe that exact one of the years in the military, I'm not sure, a lot of it runs together after a while. I always found myself wondering how useful they'd end up being, in theory it sounds good to add as many applications to a tool as you can, but it can back fire if it's poorly thought out, or too much extra is added. Let us know how well it works after you run it through its paces, something like that could clear some space in my truck.

I agree that you can overdo something by trying to put too much on it. This even has a bottle opener on it which is probably a little unnecessary. A guy did a review of it on youtube. The saw blade got gummed up pretty quick and didn't seem to saw real well. Another guy had a video where he hacked through a pig carcass in about three hits, so the blade edge seemed to work. I'm not sure I'd want to store too much in the hallow handle because it would add weight and if you lost the tool you'd also lose everything in it. The reviews all seemed to agree that it worked well as a shovel, hammer, and crow bar. And that it's well built and sturdy. I'll let you guys know what I think when I get it.

Ha, I like the part were he's chopping vegetables. Yeah...I don't think it's a totally original idea. There are other military style entrenching tools (like the Spetsnaz) that have cutting edges and maybe other functions. I suppose you could sharpen the edge of any shovel and cut or chop with it. The thing I like about the Crovel is that it's all steel construction (and that its made in the U.S.). The one in this video, as well as all the ones I've seen in local Army Navy surplus stores, have wooden handles. Reviews I've read of other brands (like Gerber) all seem to indicate most of these tools fall short under hard use and over time. This is the only one I've seen that's all steel. Of course, it's also a lot heavier than other brands. I guess it's a trade off.

I got the Crovel today. It looks solidly built but weighs a ton. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. It'll probably end up in my truck.
You will have to give us a more detailed review when you go to use it. I'm interested in hearing more about it. I think its ironic that you say it weighs a ton because the guy on natgeo that made it said his goal was to replace the weight of all the tools it is supposed to replace.

Ok guys myself and my best friend purchased a couple of crovels and have been testing them for several

months now. Let me put it this way we are very disappointed in the quality of this product, the design is

pretty good. The main problem we are having with them is they rust very very fast, the inside of the tube

had rust in it when I received them in the mail. The powder coat wears off very quickly faster than it

should I know powder coating I ran a powder coating shop for 3 years the problem is they are using cheap steal and it isn't prepped correctly before it's coated. That being said the design of this product is good the main problem with the design is the saw, it's pretty much useless as a saw it gums up way too fast and is too short to cut anything over one inch thick or so. Over all I wouldn't recommend the crovel not unless they change the material they are using for $110 they need to use stainless steal at least on the head of

the shovel.

sorry I didn't finish I am actually not going to be using my crovel in my bob, I am looking into something different simple because I don't think these things will last. I am looking into the chinese survival shovel a friend of mine has one and likes it so I am going to get ahold of one of them and test it as well. If you have any questions please ask

I have been talking to the makers of the crovel and have told them my problems with there product. It turns out that they have come out with a new model and the head on this model is made of 4140 chromoly steal, so I am guessing that they have had a lot of complaints about this rust problem. They assured me several times that my findings are not the normal, and they are actually going to exchange mine for this new model. So at least this company is fixing there problems and also they are willing to compensate for there problems. if you have a crovel with the same problems I would urge you to contact them about it because they will do what they can to make you happy.