Sign in to follow this  
awake

Hammer foot.

I was not sure where to put this thread. So here we go. I have seen threads that deal with foot care. I have seen threads that deal with boots. I have seen threads that deal with problems that occur with backpacking. This one deals with all three. Mainly it deals with something most hikers and backpackers have had happen at one time or another. Its called hammer foot. Sounds odd but it is very painful. What happens is your foot slides forward in your boot and your toes impact the boot. This happens repeatedly until you have bruised toes and swollen/sore joint in the foot. People that are flat footed or have narrow heals are prone to this condition. Downhill conditions with extra weight on your back will become almost unbearable. Up hill with be painful as your foot flexes. Given that most folks will have to hump it by foot to their chosen BOL when shtf this condition may slow many of us down.

Actually this has a simple fix. Actually it is a proactive action on your part. Simply put. Change how you lace up your boots. Its called a surgeons knot. Remember i said it was simple. When you tie your shoe you start with one lace crossed down and over the other lace. Just add one more crossover and you have a surgeons knot. The knot should be placed at the place where your boot breaks at the top of your foot and starts to move up your ankle. This knot will lock your foot into one position in the boot and will not allow your foot to slide forward in the boot. This knot will also cut down on heal blisters.Click on pic for larger image.

post-1355-13851497820092_thumb.jpg

Edited by awake

You know Awake, it's these little thing like this all added up that can really make the difference between surviving and not. On the subject of lacing your boots to fit your feet, if you have really high arches like me you may find you need to skip a set of eyelets to prevent foot damage. Figuring out how to lace your boots up to fit your feet can save you a lot of pain, and even injury.

Vicioustom.

you are right about the pain and injury from your boots. I make a living standing on concrete 9 hours a day. Also my hiking and backpacking interests have made in plain to see that proper lacing of your boots can make the difference. Ten miles of hiking in pain can set you up for failure.

It seems like foot care and all the ins and out of footwear tend to get overlooked in a lot of peoples considerations for worst case scenario. I suppose due to modern living and sedentary lifestyles where few people have put five miles on their feet at a time, much less thirty, not many really know the kind of agony poor fitting and care can cause.

I think we need more threads like this, it's a very common problem with folks that have never had to travel far by foot, but quite easy to remedy with a little know how.

when the shtf and folks grab their GOOD gear, i believe that we will see half of them keel over in less than 3 miles. Poor gear choices, poor route planning, lack of exercise and lack of practice will be their worst enemy.

thanks for the advice I will definitly have to try this out!

it works very well for me. my forefoot is normal, my heal is narrow, and i am flatfooted as a duck. I have not even had a foot blister since i started using this technique.

Awake, thanks for this post and especially including the picture. Made it very clear!! I already have bad feet, bad knees and a bad back, anything like this is really helpful.

I would also like to add, everybody need to make sure that they have items like foot powder, cream, heal cushions, Inserts etc stockpiled. My left arch collapsed from standing on cement and the pain was incredible. Got a good set of inserts and the pain was gone. Don't underestimate the value of proper foot care!