Sign in to follow this  
wardog513

has anyone seen this camp stove?

Good catch, that does look pretty handy, not that I tend to carry much in the way of electronics ever. I do know of a lot of ppl who do cart their Mp3 players and phones into the bush with them and can see these stoves selling like hotcakes if they perform as advertised.

I googled Biolite. It appears from the info I dug up that they may have developed a product which has some real merit. Their camp stove may be a good idea for bugging out. Their home stove (a larger version) may be even better for bugging-in. They've been field testing the stoves for two years now and are attracting some serious investors. They're expensive but I would expect that cost to come down once they go into full production. The stoves were designed for third world use so cost must be a consideration. I'll be watching this new innovation very closely.

i wish they showed you how it is "easy to lite" and i really dont fully understand where/how it is creating the energy, however it is a really cool idea!

that was my thought.. which it seems to me you will still have to have some way to light off the wood which means tender and kindling. but still the thought of not having to carry extra fuel is enticing

i wish they showed you how it is "easy to lite" and i really dont fully understand where/how it is creating the energy, however it is a really cool idea!

Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It's only converted into different forms.

But, I see what you mean. How exactly does it work? I'd like to know.

Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It's only converted into different forms.

But, I see what you mean. How exactly does it work? I'd like to know.

seems to work on word like "solid state thermoelectric generator" which sounds really cool although I have no idea what it means.

On a side note it's apparently far less sooty than your typical wood burner which alone would make it a heck of a stove.

Edited by Vicioustom

Looks like it could be of use (though I don't have much other than the kindle I would want to tote around). It definately would be good for buggin out, but i think that my kelly kettle will do good for that as well. i just need to figure out a good, comfortable way to carry it. Would be nice to know how it works.

seems to work on word like "solid state thermoelectric generator" which sounds really cool although I have no idea what it means.

On a side note it's apparently far less sooty than your typical wood burner which alone would make it a heck of a stove.

That means it converts heat energy into electrical energy. Typically the way that is done is by boiling water which evaporates and that vapor spins something and creates a current. However, How they can get it to do something like that in such a compact unit is where the real challenge is. Unless of course they are using a different method I'm not aware of.

OK, Checked out the biolite stove, about $140 with shipping to the midwest.

It brought 3 quarts of water to a hard boil in about 10 mins. It brought a canteen cup of water to a hard boil in under 2 mins. It did charge a cell phone. It burns very clean, smokes a little when first lighting it but once warmed up, hardly any noticable smoke (we used oak wood mostly). After 3 full loads of fuel, it had maybe a handful of ashes.

The drawback is a single load of wood lasts about 15 mins, so for long term usage, someone would have to remain up to keep feeding fuel in...alot.

We are running a test to see if charcoal will last longer, but haven't gotten to that part yet. I'll try and have more detailed information once we do more testing, but thought I'd post some prelims on here now since I had time.

A friend was doing some more testing today and put 4 charcoal briquettes in the stove. The stove remained at operating temp (little green light on side) for 40 mins. They didn't check to see how long it took to boil water, so will run the test again later this week to check that data.

if your in a hurry, it takes way to long to boil water. i wouldnt use charcoal as they will burn hotter than sticks or twigs which is what the stove was designed to burn. i dont know about that plastic charger on the side there. what if you have a boil over on the stove and now the plastic yellow part and your phone cord are covered and possibly melting. just my opinion.

I'm not big on a cell phone in the woods anyway.... I go to escape the world, not "leash" myself to it. The 2 mins to boil a canteen cup wasn't bad IMO and 3/4 gallon in 10 works for a camping trip. The stove didn't get too hot from what I was told on the 4 briquettes, but agree that charcoal burns alot hotter than regular wood and may cause damage with prolonged use.

Did you get 1 Rick? I was just curious what all you have tried with it. I may get a small "can" stove to put a pan on, but I'll probably stick with just a fire pit when I am out and about. I have the campstoves when I have the family with me on camping trips or a smaller grill. I was hoping this would work for some other purposes, but I don't think it will meet the needs I envisioned for it.

no sir i didnt get one. just thoughts that came to mind right away.

ive been looking at stoves for a long time. just not sure what i want yet

to replace what i have. i think i look to much at what a stove wont do instead of

what a stove will do reg. its a fault i really need to deal with when i look at things

to buy i think.

LOL@Rick.... I think you got at least half of it covered. I still think it needs further review myself, but for just heating water/cooking, it seems to do the job. I'll say that I figure there are cheaper alternatives tho, especially since I'm not real concerned with charging a phone, ipod, etc.

LOL@Rick.... I think you got at least half of it covered. I still think it needs further review myself, but for just heating water/cooking, it seems to do the job. I'll say that I figure there are cheaper alternatives tho, especially since I'm not real concerned with charging a phone, ipod, etc.

i agree, there are cheaper alternatives. i do believe in "double duty" for items but i really want my stove to just cook. im just still convinced that if that stove gets to hot down will go the charger.

Dont know if I believe that this is a real item that would really work but if it is I would be interested in in a larger TEG for around the BOL could I strap it to the back side of my wood burning stove? Will keep eye on this tech. But for Eco friendly bio waste cooking in the back country I will stick to this one I really like it

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/foldable-pocket-cooker.aspx?a=288270

But you need to add a 2" piece of small wire and repacking after use is messy if you use ANY green wood

Edited by DonDon

Don,

It truly did charge the phone (only portable electronic device I own). My Dad mentioned the same thing about a bigger set up for mounting on a woodburner. He figured he could keep the kids ipods charged and keep them from being bored....lol.

Rick, I am not sure where the overheat would be. I'll have to get the literature out and read it. I think just getting the fan like the biolite uses would greatly enhance any stove but would like 1 I can turn on/off so it would burn longer for some overnight heating if need be. Like everything, we'll keep evolving our gear until TSHTF and we are forced to "run what we brung".