Sign in to follow this  
TheMcs

when/where are you most vulnerable?

Just picking up from the beginning of Zombieland (bathroom scenario);

When and/or where are you most vulnerable?

I can think of several offhand.

On a regular basis, at the gym. All my EDC stuff is in a locker. If SHTF, most people will be scrambling to get back there to get their stuff. Bags are off limits on the floor. Might have to put together a small wallet sized pouch to keep back-up keys, etc, in case I need to head out the door rather than further in towards the locker room.

At night, asleep. Granted most everything I need is within a few steps, but the dulled senses and delayed reaction time will be a major factor. I work hard and sleep accordingly.

Travel. We've got two flight related travel plans this year. There's very little I can place in my carry-on, and I don't have a clue yet as to what I can put in my checked bag. In flight will be an extremely vulnerable time. At-destination will be as well, since I will be without a GHB or BOB.

I feel most vulnerable while road tripping. Last couple trips I was thinking how much it would suck if a major SHTF event happened when we were 2 or 3 hundred miles from home or our destination. That's way farther than I'd want to walk if travel by car wasn't possible, and we don't usually pack for the EOTWAWKI when we travel for fun.

I agree on traveling, is when I/we feel most vulnerable. While we hqve ,our "go bags" with us when we are on road trips, when flying commercially, it's difficult to have all of the gear with us we normally do on a road trip in our POVs. Since we were first married 35 years ago, I always wanted to be sure we had sufficent "gear" on hand to repel pirates, marauding bands, and

assorted thugs and thugettes. Now, we make sure we.ve got a bit more "gear" on hand for such contingencies. I don't like

thinking about the "coulda-should-woulda" scenarios at all.

Flying is worst for this no lighters knives ect (if I had to have only 2 items those would it) one thing you could do if ur not checking bags you could mail or fedex ups ur BOB if your going to a hotel or have fedex ups hold it at station if you know one by the destination you cant ship firearms but to some of the basics would be better than nothing at all reg fedex is $$$$$$ use fedex ground or ups

Swimming. More exposed than the bathroom, except the shower, as I've got my EDC in the can. The Detroit Municipal building, I got through the TSA like check point fine after I 'pulled my teeth' but they still gave my flashlight, surefire lx2, the hairy eyeball. The 60 yo woman behind me was not as lucky, she had nail clippers, tweezers, and a tiny pencil sharpener.

I dont shop during the main rush hours,trafic jambs..your stuck!!!I dont go in the Box stores when checks come out(pay days)to many people going for the doors.I shop after work.(11pm..or later)for most items.But I have a different job and hours than most and I like it .lol

Not to rock the boat on the spirit of this thread, but I've always believed vulnerability is a state of mind. Being in an urban area I know that for most scenarios I can get by with nothing but a sharp object initially, and I can fabricate one of those if for some bizarre reason I'm not carrying one.

MikeE and Tinderwolf,

I do not wear a sidearm in my house

Why not? I just got out of a meeting and came home for lunch. Will probably work rest of the day from home. First thing I do is unlock door, enter and shut off alarm, pet dogs, go get a gun on, THEN go unload the car. If I have not been at work, I can skip the gun step because I'm already carrying. On of the great things about a pocket pistol is that you can always have it with you. It also remedies the concern about kids in the house. If it is in my pocket, I'm not worried about someone getting it who should not.

I carry a Kel Tec P11 (9mm double stack. The P9 is single stack and is smaller as is the P3 in .380) in a pocket holster everywhere it is legal to carry. Crime seems to be changing. Around here at least it is becoming kill the victim and take what you want at your leisure. I don't carry at work because I work on a Federal Reservation and I do not want to get cross wise with the law. EVERYWHERE else, I'm packing, even at Church. If I can't go armed, I don't go with extremely rare exceptions. If one of those exceptions gets me killed I'll really feel dumb but there it is.

I hate to fly anymore because you are at risk. The joke that is HSA/TSA "security" couldn't stop a home coming queen from getting a weapon on a plane; they are just a warm, fuzzy, feel good to sheeple who don't know any better. I fly when there is absolutely no other option but I DO NOT LIKE IT!

Most vulnerable is terms of probability is first time I walk out of the house everyday. I'm going to work, I'm not armed, the neighborhood is quite. If I don't threat scan immediately I could be taken by surprise. How often do folks walk out their front doors and IMMEDIATELY turn around and lock it. Not a clue who might be waiting for them. The other time is coming home from work. Again, not yet armed, getting out of the car with my laptop, the mail, etc. I'm preoccupied and therefore vulnerable. I tend to make several trips. First is to get into the house, secure the alarm and pups, pick up my pocket pistol, then, and only then, go to the car to unload the stuff. Minimize the time you are at risk. Learn to scan the neighborhood first time you see it and every time there after. Something feels wrong, don't investigate, just leave. Times like in the shower, I count on the pups to give warning. If you have kids in the house it is tough to have the alarm on when you're inside as the kids can trip it. I use the hotel "do not disturb" type hangers to block my doors with the alarm is set for inside. That reminds me not to open the door because the alarm is set.

Travel is riskier than at home. I have to decide what guns I have with me. Usually it does not include a long gun unless it is a longer trip. Still, even if I have a long gun, it is still a subset of what I would have at the house and I almost NEVER have a shotgun. Plan every trip as if it is a Bug Out because it could become one. Then go from there.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Well Capt, you'll remember me as one that has been trying to convince, cajole, and plead with my wife about prepping and I'm afraid that if I "carried" inside our house, I'd loose any chance I have at winning her over. And I don't own a pocket gun...yet. I'm trying to eat this elephant one bite at a time (prepping that is, not my wife...she's still pretty dag gone hot. LOL) so I don't want to bite off more than we can chew

That would have to be when my wife, grandson and myself went on a cruise to the Bahommas, I felt pretty secure going from my HOR to the port where the boat was at, because on the way down I was in my EDC mode and also had our GEHB's with us. But when we boarded the ship I had NOTHING and I was really uneasy the whole trip

call me whatever

but I have had a GAIT in the shower in a plastic bag before zip lock bags were available.

now I have a cast iron tub and on the wall side I have a holster attached to it and it ain't for

extra soap, stainless is wonderful don't ya' think, keeps the back side clean as the front,

no spider webs or dust check every time before I get my hands wet.

and then behind the trash can next to the can there is one and by the bed and and and and

well I am a prepper what did you expect.

Hey folks. Time to re access. I had small kids in the house. They learned early what a firearm was. Teach them about firearms. Enroll the family in a NRA gun safty course. I learned that these were my responsibility. Get a small safe for 30 bucks if you leave a hand gun at the house. use trigger locks on the long guns or better yet buy a safe for them. Wear your sidearm in the house and on your property. learn to conceal when outside and when company is over to visit. If you are more than two steps form your firearm you are toast.

I travel to and from work with a sidearm. I cant have one in a parked vehicle on company property so my wife commutes with me. Her office allows firearms in cars but not in the building.again we have the firearms secured in a lock box in the car.

I dont go to sporting events any more because i cant carry there. I dont go to states that dont honor my permit. If you cant find info on what states/ cities accept your carry permit call the local sheriff's office. If you carry onto Indian reservations you are best to know your right there. The local law enforcement on a reservation will offer you an explanation of their laws.

When you buy that first firearm with the intent to defend you and yours, its time to put on your big person clothes and accept a new life style.

When am i most vulnerable? At work. but i chose to work there. I have a EDC back pack 10 feet away and four E&E plans.

If this seemed to be a rant, i apologize to all.

Dont be vulnerable, be proactive.

Since I retired I took a job transporting cars. We drive all new vechicles up to 500 miles in any direction for trades. This is a good gig if you like to drive. I was surprised that all the drivers have edc bags with food water and other needed supplies with them.

I really feel vulnerable on these trips so far away from my preps. Think EMP a few hundred miles from home. Nothing would work ,no comms, no ride, just a long walk home.

Well Capt, you'll remember me as one that has been trying to convince, cajole, and plead with my wife about prepping and I'm afraid that if I "carried" inside our house, I'd loose any chance I have at winning her over. And I don't own a pocket gun...yet. I'm trying to eat this elephant one bite at a time (prepping that is, not my wife...she's still pretty dag gone hot. LOL) so I don't want to bite off more than we can chew

It might take awhile, but she'll come around. My wife was never around guns as a kid, but now that we're living out in the sticks, she realizes that guns are a necessity, I started working on her while we still lived in town, I explained to her what some of my firearms were worth, and how much I paid for them, showed her they were a good investment...and now, every once in awhile, somebody will have car trouble and show up at our front door after dark, so now guns are allowed in the house. (she even lets me clean 'em on the dining room table!)

I cant have one in a parked vehicle on company property

Double check federal law on this, you can also look up the Weyerhauser (sp?) court case. Even local, state, & fed gov't buildings cannot restrict you from keeping a firearm in your car in the parking lot. The argument being that company policy cannot restrict you from protecting yourself in the course of travelling to and from work. Law is actually on your side on this one. People around here who's workplace tries to get away with it, well they just call the state Bureau and tip them off. Around here they'll whip the company into shape fast.

Double check federal law on this, you can also look up the Weyerhauser (sp?) court case. Even local, state, & fed gov't buildings cannot restrict you from keeping a firearm in your car in the parking lot. The argument being that company policy cannot restrict you from protecting yourself in the course of travelling to and from work. Law is actually on your side on this one. People around here who's workplace tries to get away with it, well they just call the state Bureau and tip them off. Around here they'll whip the company into shape fast.

In Texas the key is "public access parking". If it is controlled access then the company can restrict guns. Of course on federal reservations there is also no guns allowed.

Interesting. It's my understanding that here it's allowed in any parking lot. At least that's how the OSDA book reads.

Just another feather in the cap of why Okla is better than Texas. ;)

Oh just rub it in why don't ya' LOL

but just another reason to love it in the south no matter what state. <);=}

Probably when I'm at work, especially if I have to go to WPAFB. Its almost 2 hours away, one way, and while my vehicle has never been searched, I'm not brave enough to attempt taking my firearm on base, even unloaded and locked in separate areas. Just take my GHB and hope for the best. Work is about the only time I don't have a sidearm on. I work in IT so its amazing what I can get away with. I can take just about anything anywhere as long as they verify who I am. Leatherman through security at the courthouse, same plus my Spyderco anywhere else. Heck half the 'security' at these office buildings don't even require ID. None of them are armed, except the guards at the Boeing facility. Other than that, I don't think there's any other time when I'm unarmed, except the occasional Sunday when I make it to church, which is a completely ridiculous law here in Ohio. I need to get permission from the pastor to carry, which wouldn't matter anyways b/c most of the churches I have been to are all schools as well. I carry a loaded gun around the house, in the bathroom, and it sits on the toilet next to the tub when I take a shower. Of course when I'm asleep, but its kinda funny; I live at home, and if my mom wakes me up to move my car at 6am, I'm groggy, but if I hear an out of place noise, I bolt up in bed wide awake. My dad works 2nd shift and I'll sleep right through him coming home, but if he comes home at a different time, I hear it. We also have an alarm, so that'll help.

dont know what state you are in but NC just passed a law that a person can have a firearm in a vehicle on company property as long as it is out of sight. nothing the company can do about it.

JohnM1911,

Yeah, the Federal Reservation crap really frosts me but since it is a Federal Offense and given Holder's Justice Department it isn't worth the risk. If you go there often could you get a storage shed of some kind? I get nervous over the 15 min. from home to work. Two hours each way would drive me nuts.