Sign in to follow this  
inkspotdw

dooms day prepers tonight

Guest survival101

2 episodes. 1st was a prepper and his wife living in Shipping Container home, Geo pointed out these are a good option for BOL locations because they cost only about $4000. apiece, and the couple fired a few rounds off which did not penetrate the outer container. Impressive. They had a large stockpile of food preps, but I noticed much of it was in glass. If there were an earthquake, or a pole reversal (which they were prepping for) those jars would likely fall and break. My plan is to buy the wide-mouth plastic containers like at Forge Survival, and oxygen absorption product. They bugged out from their farm in 2 school buses and a pickup with a trailer containing all their goats. Sadly, I felt that they came off as a little extreme. I don't think mainstream America will buy it.

Second was an ex military loner type. He was skilled with weapons and fire-making as well as foraging. He planned to bug out alone, defend himself, eat off the land in an urban area, and barter. He had several knives but no gun. Geo gave him high personal survival marks, but wouldn't think he could sustain his herbivore lifestyle once the masses realized there was food to be had. They recommended he consider carrying at least one gun. This is the kind of person I would like to meet, if they gave me a choice, because he has "eat the weeds" and firemaking skills, as well as a presumable wealth of knowledge about self-defense.

Next in that episode was a young woman in Houston who believes we will have a global oil crisis. She was physically prepping, exercising, so she could make her bug out trek to her BOV, about 12 miles. She was proficient in firearm use. She felt her pack made her conspicuous so she went to a military supply for a better pack. Sold her one that looked like a briefcase or could be worn as a pack, with places to hook on additional gear. She made the trek and concluded that it was much harder than she had imagined, and that her pack needed to be lighter. Geo pointed out that her BOV did not carry enough fuel to make her intended trip. She had planned on getting fuel "by other means." They suggested she carry extra fuel. Wondered if her BOV had a locking gas cap, cause by the time she planned to bug out, which was about 2 weeks, her vehicle probably would have been looted and siphoned. Geo pointed she needed approximately 3 alternate exit routes and BOLs. Ultimately, she decided to join the military.

And, finally, the last guy was named David. He was by far my favorite and the most likely to make sense to Americans. His physical health was poor and he was overweight. He was very open about that being a drawback. His humor was awesome. He was a ham radio operator, and pointed out that in the event of an EMP, communications would be essential to rebuilding survivors. He felt his skill would be of use. He has prepping and survival vids on Youtube. He gave a demonstration of a basic Faraday cage he was building to store his radios. Found that very interesting.

Missed the second episode. Overall, they showed preppers looking like extremists the first five-ten minutes. Then, more moderate views of different preppers. We all know most Americans decide within five minutes what their opinion of a show is.

Edited by survival101

Guest survival101

Ok here's what I did see on the 2nd episode.

A "foodie" wife who cheerfully taught the ladies in her friends and family self defense and basic firearms skills. She also preps extensively, making sure her canned stores are "gourmet" as compared to basic rice and beans. Her platform was that prepping need not be grim and bare bones. She had even laid by a store room of luxuries, like chocolate and toilet paper. She and her husband kept a gun in every room, and made sure they were ingeniously hidden, and fully loaded.

New England woman (couple) prepping moderate stores, and learning food gardening. Networking with her friends and neighbors to swap skills. They planned to pull together as a community if TSHTF or TEOTWAWKI. Geo suggested they needed to fortify their Bug In location (they did not plan to Bug Out) and learn to use some form of weapon that they felt comfortable with. They declined, stating they had to be true to themselves.

Missed the next one.

Large extended adult family, each person has a special skill set. They had been training for years. Missed the rest.

Watched the whole thing with my mouth open, catching flies. Was watching it from a standpoint of learning something, which I did. But in the process, had to consider this is in all actuality, a Sociology series. It is amazing, given a basic premise, how many permutations there will be, given the influence of the individual psyche. If anybody has any corrections, or additional thoughts they had when viewing I'd sure love to hear them.

Edited by survival101

That couple from New England are DEAD MEAT if the SHTF. Everyone within a 30 mile radius will know who they are now and that they refuse to arm themselves. They will be easy pickins. They plan to just give people what ever food they need and then the people will move on. Yeah move on to there back yard and sit up camp HAHAHAHAHAHA, they are so dum. I'm thinking of buying property right next to them so I can spend my money on guns and vactions while they buy and store the food for me. HAHAHAHAHAHAA man are they stupid.

I thought the woman and husband from Utah segment was pretty well done and I think that they have the right attitude towards prepping. I also noticed that Nat Geo is doing everything they can to make these people look crazy. Everytime the subjects say somthing like "brown sugar has gone up 300% in the past two years" then a little box pops up on the screen and says "brown sugar dropped 30% in price in the month of December 2011". Ok so that still means that brown sugar has gone up 270% in the past two years and by the way brown sugar always gets cheaper in the month of december because of all the holiday baking and sales on baking goods.

They kept trying to make it look like nothing will ever happen. They narrator made the comment two diffrent times "most economist agree that currently there is no chance of hyper inflation or an econimic crisis in america" Are they freaking joking? They even proved that hyper inflation is not only coming but is already here, a 270% rise in sugar prices I think that says it all. In the first episode they made the statement that the poles shift every 300,000 years. And then they said that the poles last shifted 900,000 years ago. They then said that experts agree that there is no chance the poles will shift during our lifetime. But there own math makes no sense, I mean if it happens ever 300,000 years and it hasnt happened in 900,000 then we are overdue by a lot.

Nat Geo will makes us all look like fools before it's over and I fear bring alot of unwanted attention to us weather we want it or not. I already have people I work with who have put two and two together and asked if I was prepping. They have been to my house and seen things like buckets, camping gear and the like and now that they have watched the show they have figured out that Im prepping so Nat Geo has already cost me some OpSec.

We will always look crazy because anything that breaks the "normalcy bias"(thanks for that term Capt. Bart) in happy-pretend land is a crazy person.

Oh and I hate to break it to Nat Geo but the poles already had a 'minor' shift last year.

We will always look crazy because anything that breaks the "normalcy bias"(thanks for that term Capt. Bart) in happy-pretend land is a crazy person.

Oh and I hate to break it to Nat Geo but the poles already had a 'minor' shift last year.

reality TV is never real

I was afraid that the show would portray preppers as extremist crazies and think it did. I'm relatively new to prepping and had hoped the show would help make my wife see the need to prepare. Unfortunately I think it turned her more off to it. I found myself saying "see? Im not looking to get that extreme" Not sure if the show will end up being positive or not.

Guest kevin

well i watched and over all i enjoyed the show. even found a few nuggets of prepping i can use. i am so f-ing jealous of the first couples shipping container set out i can't stand it......or afford it. a few loons in the show(as every where) and some good law abiding folks who are doing what the feel is best for them and theirs. hope that the new england couple isnt just prepping for someone else who does have a gun. the if they show up we will feed them and hope they move along" tactic isnt very sound. when the news gets out about the "free food" how many a day do you think will show up? how many would chose to leave and try to tuff it out on their own again? you can feed the world threw a new england winter.

Guest kevin

you know the tv motto shawn. every thing to the extreme. im no where near as prepped as most of the ppl on that show and never will be, however we feel that at this point we could make it much more easily than when we first started prepping. 20 years of food,not for me if things are so bad you cant restock after 2 then i dont think the standard of living is going to be good enough that i care about surviving. but i do intend to have the things i need to be ABLE to restock. not just the STUFF but the SKILLS as well. with out both you arent prepared.

I myself enjoyed it. Just found it a little abrasive for someone like my wife that doesnt believe in the need to prep. I would like the shipping container idea for a BOL. Also thought the Utah couple were well prepared and liked how they were trying to get their whole community involved. The more people prepared around you the better the chance of survival. Like I said I think parts of it were a bit too much for my wife.

I agree. Dont think I could ever get that prepared either. Im shooting for about a years worth for food, water, medical. I totally agree with the nessasary skills to grow and store your own food,fuel, etc. I did notice too how the show stated multiple times how unlikely the evnts they were prepping for were to happen. I myself am just looking to become more self sufficient and ready for any likely disasters

Guest survival101

You're very welcome for what it was worth. Sorry I fell down on the second show. Learned quite a lot from this, and being new to prepping was glad of it. Geo did show a variety of different folks from different backgrounds, and the different approaches were pretty fascinating. I would not ask a newbie to watch the show either, Shawn, having seen it. It does give a pretty skewed view. I think what I'm doing makes perfect sense. And I'm sure you do too.

It's the Boy Scout motto: "Be Prepared." How much more American can you get? Anyone who gets an intro into prepping from friend or family needs to get some background info, and think about how prepared our forefathers had to be every winter to make it thru. Firewood didn't grow on trees (snicker.) They had to chop it all summer long to make it through the winter. And more. Best of luck to each and every one of you on your preps. Kudos. Keep on.

I had a conversation with my father in law this past weekend about prepping. Told him I dont think were going to be attacked by terminators or zombies but I had a big eye opener with hurricane Irene this year. I just want to be ready. He gets it. He grew up in Maine and used to hunt and fish. I expressed interest in learning to fish and hes going to teach me. To me its all about learning as much as I can to be ready to survive anything.

awesome Shawn.... learning from others is the most important thing we can do... I think the biggest fear right now is OIL and BAMA has left us at the mercy of the middle east.... If oil leaves us... or is in the hands of the military... (by necessity)... Food is a HUGE issue... foraging , hunting, and fishing are my current topics of study....

I was especially interested in the evaluation of each prepper. Although I didn't exactly agree with the evaluations I was quite interested in who the evaluators were. I was looking for a name similar to Capt Bart. Looks like the evaluators were from a company called Practical Preppers LLC. I googled the company and it appears that they are a two-man small business consulting company for the rich and wealthy. I think Nat'l Geo made a serious mistake not coming to members of this forum for their evaluation criteria. We prep for life not for money.

Watched both hour long episodes. Learned a few things, confirmed others.

Not sure if y'all noticed, but the container couple were putting .22 rounds into the support beams of that container, which is the strongest part of those things. I think if it were me, I'd be checking to see what something with a little more powder behind it would do and to the thinner siding.

Glad to see that young lady in Houston decided to join the military. Where she was, she wouldn't have made it two blocks, let alone all the way to her BOV, and probably wouldn't have lasted long living in an apartment in downtown. :(

The New England group is doomed.

Guest survival101
I was especially interested in the evaluation of each prepper. Although I didn't exactly agree with the evaluations I was quite interested in who the evaluators were. I was looking for a name similar to Capt Bart. Looks like the evaluators were from a company called Practical Preppers LLC. I googled the company and it appears that they are a two-man small business consulting company for the rich and wealthy. I think Nat'l Geo made a serious mistake not coming to members of this forum for their evaluation criteria. We prep for life not for money.

Yep. I couldn't agree more. So, I'm sure Nat Geo has some kind of blog about this or feedback forum. What do you think of sending them them the message that the moderators want a shot at that? My only thought is that it would violate OpSec and bring in the "haters."

Sign in to follow this  

• Recent Topics

• welcome to the forum there are only about 5-8 people here that post anymore but welcome nonetheless....
    • now when you say deer do you mean a slingshot with an arrow or something else?
    • Hey I am new here i go by Bishop but not new to  the survival world what I call every day Life hoping to add to the site I am interested in slingshots bows Kylie stick bolas slings atlatls blow guns camping fishing hunting traping and playing sports but not watching .
    • I am new here name is Bishop I make hunt and shoot slingshots I have taken everything from bees to deer  with a sling shot I shoot flat bands mostly if you need any advice just ask 
    • Great thread. My son is attending a higher-end university in VT. His tuition is over $60k a year - can you imagine getting out of school with almost  a quarter million dollars' debt and just starting at the bottom of the barrel? I started working construction when I was 20, learned an incredible amount, worked my ass off, and now I have a comfortable job with zero college debt.