Sign in to follow this  
inkspotdw

dooms day prepers tonight

overall im watching this show and picking up bits and pieces of what i should do. im considering the pandemic kit, just for the simple fact i have a crappy immune system and would be probably one of the first to die in that sort of situation. im not talking going all out with the cleansers, and such cause that will just kill any chance of building up immunity to common stuff. im thinking about the masks, glasses, gowns, gloves etc. couldnt hurt to have them just in case. the swine flu was horrendous when it came to our area, taking 25 percent of our school population out sick. we even had family members end up with it. that part of prepping makes sense. im not running sanitation drills though. waste is all that is. my issues will be blackouts, flooding, blizzards and other natural disasters prone to my area. main issue being food and water storage. in a shtf scenario, we will have a weapon for defense, but considering my area, our redneck boys will probably have us outgunned. i think the problem with these preppers on the show is they are focusing on one area, when they should be spreading the resources out a bit. food and water, shelter. then go from there. consider the likelyhood that something disasterous occurs, figure out what the best odds on what it is. in california, id worry about quakes. that sort of thing. am i the only one who thinks we should be well rounded?

Im new to prepping also so Ive been checking the show out for some ideas but also looking for things not to do. My neighbors are ok but I def dont want them knowing about my preps. Were looking at firearms for defence also because theres no point in prepping if you cant defend it. Im trying to build up my supplies slowly and focusing on gaining as much info as possible. This site is a great source of info. Im trying to become as well rounded as possible. Want to look into first aid and firearms training for this upcoming year. Good luck to everyone. Makes me feel better to see at least some people are preparing

Im new to prepping also so Ive been checking the show out for some ideas but also looking for things not to do. My neighbors are ok but I def dont want them knowing about my preps. Were looking at firearms for defence also because theres no point in prepping if you cant defend it. Im trying to build up my supplies slowly and focusing on gaining as much info as possible. This site is a great source of info. Im trying to become as well rounded as possible. Want to look into first aid and firearms training for this upcoming year. Good luck to everyone. Makes me feel better to see at least some people are preparing

In a similar spot...just kind of tipping my toes in the pool at this point...so much info out there! Jusbeginning the lerning process and will be attending from one to three firearms training courses this year as funds allow...one for sure though. Still writing down thoughts on what / when / how much to get for anything from a big-out-bag to more serious long-term home storage...still more on this site I need to read and explore through!!

Gene

I wonder if it's possible that part of the damage this show does is by showing people with these elaborate setups that most folks can't afford and therefore discourage people from really preparing. After all, these people spend tens of thousands of dollars, but Nat Geo's experts are still pointing out all these holes. Now, those of us who've done this for a while know that you'll never close all the holes, but does Joe Sixpack who's also worried about an economic collapse?

Frankly, a guy who's ready for a two week power outage is a lot better off that 90% of the population...and probably more than 90%. The show doesn't show that most preppers don't have 80 foot long bunkers hidden in the mountains with five years worth of food. Most of us don't live in castles made of shipping containers with 20 years of food stored as well as chickens and goats. Most of us don't have all that, and that's fine.

Don't get me wrong, I like the show all in all. I've gotten some good ideas myself, but I've also seen some people who have spent piles of money that most of us will never have and I can't help but think that some folks will get discouraged by the whole thing (especially since the "experts" always talk about how remote these possibilities are :rolleyes: ) and never bother to stock up on some stuff that might help help them make it through a tough winter storm or unemployment.

Frankly, a guy who's ready for a two week power outage is a lot better off that 90% of the population...and probably more than 90%. The show doesn't show that most preppers don't have 80 foot long bunkers hidden in the mountains with five years worth of food. Most of us don't live in castles made of shipping containers with 20 years of food stored as well as chickens and goats. Most of us don't have all that, and that's fine.

Good post..as long as alot of are at least doing something we're not waiting for the gov't to come do it for us I think we're better off all around.

I have watched each show so far. They all focus on the extreme prepper. Hopefully as it progresses it will get to what an average prepper may have and show how to get there and improve and improvise what on what they have.

I am enjoying this so far, there are some good points and bad, so I will gleam as much as I can and forgive things like not being gray and the way NG protrays some of these people.

I did like bio kit that woman was selling, I made one of mine own, of course I don't practice with it or constantly scrub things.

I have watched each show so far. They all focus on the extreme prepper. Hopefully as it progresses it will get to what an average prepper may have and show how to get there and improve and improvise what on what they have.

I am enjoying this so far, there are some good points and bad, so I will gleam as much as I can and forgive things like not being gray and the way NG protrays some of these people.

I did like bio kit that woman was selling, I made one of mine own, of course I don't practice with it or constantly scrub things.

That woman has a cleaning disorder

One episode, there were a couple of guys who had gone in together and, along with their families, were sharing a farm. The guy shows all these tripwires he had set up and that he had all these caches. The guy was even careful to ask that they not show anything but the cache so it would be difficult to find. He understood OPSEC...and here he is on television. Does he think that he wouldn't be recognized? The need to be famous is more important to some folks than it is to be safe and secure apparently.

His name is Dave and he has a Youtube channel called southerprepper1 He is retired military and has posted well over 150 Youtube videos about prepping. He has some very good info in his videos and his theroy is that he is willing to risk hs OpSec some what to help people prep. He feels the more people that he can teach how to prep then the less people will be knocking on his door. He has what he calls a retreat and I belive he has over 30 people that are a part of it. I think he is pretty well got his stuff together as best you can and due to his large retreat and preps I think you would have a very hard time breaking into his prmieter.

His partner Scott goes by the name Engineer775 on youtube and has some awesome videos about getting off the grid. And in case your wondring they are the two guys who grade the Doomsday Preppers show and give each family thier score at the end of the segments. They do alot for the prepping community and recive hardly any money in return, they do it cause they belive that helping you prep is the best kind of help that they can give.

What we see it not the the whole deal.

Remember this is TV

It makes me wounder about the rest of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgQD4DuK81k

Someplace in "announcements"There was a couple who goes by "Jackjobe" . They said they did a segment of DDP, has anybody heard from them since this series started? I am hoping that someone will come out with something positive about their experience.

That woman has a cleaning disorder

I was cringing while I watched that one... REALLY?!?! If you're going to use the PPE getup, at least learn how to use it. I was yelling at the TV (silly now) while they were taking all that stuff off because of the way they did it. They may as well have not even been wearing it. Sorry, I work in healthcare and anyone using PPE like that would be in serious trouble and probably very sick.

His name is Dave and he has a Youtube channel called southerprepper1 He is retired military and has posted well over 150 Youtube videos about prepping. He has some very good info in his videos and his theroy is that he is willing to risk hs OpSec some what to help people prep. He feels the more people that he can teach how to prep then the less people will be knocking on his door. He has what he calls a retreat and I belive he has over 30 people that are a part of it. I think he is pretty well got his stuff together as best you can and due to his large retreat and preps I think you would have a very hard time breaking into his prmieter.

His partner Scott goes by the name Engineer775 on youtube and has some awesome videos about getting off the grid. And in case your wondring they are the two guys who grade the Doomsday Preppers show and give each family thier score at the end of the segments. They do alot for the prepping community and recive hardly any money in return, they do it cause they belive that helping you prep is the best kind of help that they can give.

Hold up, let me make sure I'm tracking what you're saying. The two guys who were on the show are the NatGeo "experts at Practical Preppers"?

I find that hard to believe since two two guys I was referring to were told their location was to exposed, and they balked at the assessment.

However, that said, I think there's a big difference between some YouTube videos and the National Geographic channel as far as OpSec goes. Their work on YouTube? Nothing but respect for that kind of thing, because there's a lot of ways you can go about that and you don't have to pinpoint your location. NatGeo, however, doesn't seem to really care.

Not just that, but as someone who works in the press, I know that it's common practice for television shows to send press releases to location television and print media, letting them know someone local is going to be on television. Now, since no one in my area has appeared on the show just yet, I don't know if this happens with Doomsday Preppers or not (and I sincerely hope not), but personally I just wouldn't take the risk.

FWIW though, those two guys were probably the most squared away folks on the show IMHO.

Hold up, let me make sure I'm tracking what you're saying. The two guys who were on the show are the NatGeo "experts at Practical Preppers"?

Yup, Dave talks about it on one of his latest youtube videos, he talks about how they have no say about how the show is done and that they just evaluate the preppers from a preppers point of view and report their findings to NatGeo.

Military Retiree my foot a public check of military service records shows he is not a retiree did he serve yes he is what we call a short timer also known as a one tour wonder its like his hang up that everything is a force multiplier half of what he was calling force multipliers are not a trip wire on an alarm is an ealy warning device connect said trip wire to a claymore mine now it is a force multiplier. four automatic thermal targeting phalanx cannons are a force multiplier an L.P.O.P. is not it is detection and early warning also his OP's are death traps completely indefensible and provide no cover or margin of safety and any good soldier will tell you that. Above ground and no earth works or sand bags? most L.P.O.P's are foxholes or bunkers a aluminum truck top thats elevated and has air space under it not a sandbag or dirt rampart in sight is a deathtrap a .22 will shred right through. if anyone believes he is an expert good luck let us know what you want your epitath to read I wouldn't want this guy to grade my daughters brownie troop. Like telling natgeo that they have manditory weapons training that every member of the group must participate in on every weapon they have BS his wife and daughter have very little experience with weapons watch them flinch badly as they fire the weapon and almost lose control of the .357 next onto his partner who on the air admits it is the first time he has ever fired an AR. Please...

Edited by warrior7r

First, if anyone takes any television show as the gospel, or a 'fair and objective look' at any topic, they are just plain foolish. What you see on the actual show is a fraction of what was filmed - its called editing, folks - and the people who participated in the show have no say whatsoever in what actually gets viewed later. They may have said something that makes total sense, but that doesn't really make for a sensational (i.e., profitable) television show. So that gets shortened, or left out, or played back as the 'answer' to a different question. You see what the producers and editors left in the program, and you see it in the context/order that they arranged it for you. It's easy to point fingers and laugh, but until you've been on a show and had yourself 'edited for content', don't be so quick to judge.

Having said that, the show was interesting from a couple of different angles. It gives you an opportunity to maybe spot a few clever ideas for prepping you hadn't thought of. It might show you some gear (in action) that you thought about buying, but now realize isn't a great choice for your needs. It gives you a chance to look at someone else's prep work and consider how you might do better (which leads to better critical thinking for your own planning). In some cases it demonstrates why you shouldn't talk to the media. The show might open up conversation between you and your family/spouse/coworkers about prepping in general.

The fact that a major TV channel even bothered to do a series about preppers, shows that prepping has become much more common and/or accepted in society. If you think NatGeo should have been a little more objective and less biased, then send them a letter or an email and tell them that. This tells them the show was watched by more people, and they might do more/better shows on the subject in the future.

Personally, as soon as they failed to actually introduce their 'judges' who were going to be grading, their 'evaluation' of the participants lost all credibility with me. It's no surprise that some of the people on the show said 'well thanks for your anonymous evaluation of our plans, but no, we'll just keep on with our own ideas'.

As far as the New England couple goes, I just have to shake my head when I read some of the stupid comments in this thread. They have their whole community prepping together, and they personally choose not to train with guns...so that somehow makes them dumber/weaker/less prepared than you? Going to head straight over to their town and take over their farm, eh? By yourself? You may not have noticed, but they said there were others in their group that had guns and were willing to use them, it was just the older couple themselves that didn't want to bother with firearms. I'm guessing that in a real end-of-the-world situation, a whole community working together is going to do better than most individuals. They already have an established base of operations, stockpiled supplies, knowledge of the area (and all of their neighbors) and lots of warm bodies to work/watch/defend. The 'home field advantage' as it were. You have...yourself...maybe a map of the area and a general idea of where their farm is...and a long, long way to travel to get there. Good luck on your short career as a parasite and raider, assuming you actually survive the trip to their location.

Some of the preppers did pretty well, I thought. At least they actually practiced with their equipment, and tested things to see if they could actually execute their emergency plans in real time. Way too many people prepare for an emergency but never actually test their plans. I don't know if the Houston girl will do well in the Army, but it wasn't a bad idea to join up for some training and physical conditioning on her part. If she had kept a bicycle in her apartment, she could have evacuated from the city much faster and safer than her 'hike it out' plan. That was the first thing my wife and I both said when her part of the show aired. It would have been the ideal answer for the first stage of her plan.

Overall, we thought watching the show was a decent way to spend some of our time, and certainly many times better than watching the other garbage on TV (American Idle, Plastic Housewives of Beverly Hills, Another Tired Sitcom With Laugh Track, etc)

Guest survival101

Agreed. But, I cringed when they showed their new commercial for the show twice last night. Made as a parody of the "Dr. Pepper" jingle, it just made the whole thing look silly, and preppers, who are generally the last bastion of our American forefathers common sense, look like freakish oddities.

Watched preppers last night, I see they have a song now, must be the show is pretty popular! Anyway the first group they showed seemed ok, the seed people made me nervous. You have to admit the the welder guy had a pretty cool bunker set up, made be worry a little when he stuck his kids in that cart in the pond.

Agreed. But, I cringed when they showed their new commercial for the show twice last night. Made as a parody of the "Dr. Pepper" jingle, it just made the whole thing look silly, and preppers, who are generally the last bastion of our American forefathers common sense, look like freakish oddities.

Everytime they played that damn song, I felt a little more stupid. I had to change the channel, of course I changed it back after awhile, I especially liked the underground bunker idea.

Our segment (S1E9) on Doomsday Preppers begins March 27th, 2012.

Since it's only 'half real', we're just hoping to come off as The Craziest of the 'Weirdos'. LOL Another participant ask, "Why does 'Reality TV' always S##T on their guests?" That's Entertainment! I hope you get some laughs, especially during 'knife training' and the Comedy Show.

post-1181-13851497868569_thumb.jpg Quasimodo's voice (with Over Filled 72 Hour Bag) "Ounces add up to Pounds; Pounds add up to pain."

QUOTE: "I already have people I work with who have put two and two together and asked if I was prepping." and then this guy blames NatGeo. LOL LOL LOL

That's a problem. NatGeo is the reflection of a distorted reality. "Survivalists & Preppers" can't hide. We see you at Self-Reliance, Guns, and Outdoors Shows, in Meet Up Groups, bulk food places and .....

IF I was your next door neighbor, AND I don't know you 'prepped', I'd beg for food if I was hungry. IF 300,000,000 people flee the cities, name me one realistic place ANYONE could hide. Let's educate the public; not plan to kill them WHEN they show up.

Our segment (S1E9) on Doomsday Preppers begins March 27th, 2012.

Since it's only 'half real', we're just hoping to come off as The Craziest of the 'Weirdos'. LOL Another participant ask, "Why does 'Reality TV' always S##T on their guests?" That's Entertainment! I hope you get some laughs, especially during 'knife training' and the Comedy Show.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]633[/ATTACH] Quasimodo's voice (with Over Filled 72 Hour Bag) "Ounces add up to Pounds; Pounds add up to pain."

QUOTE: "I already have people I work with who have put two and two together and asked if I was prepping." and then this guy blames NatGeo. LOL LOL LOL

That's a problem. NatGeo is the reflection of a distorted reality. "Survivalists & Preppers" can't hide. We see you at Self-Reliance, Guns, and Outdoors Shows, in Meet Up Groups, bulk food places and .....

IF I was your next door neighbor, AND I don't know you 'prepped', I'd beg for food if I was hungry. IF 300,000,000 people flee the cities, name me one realistic place ANYONE could hide. Let's educate the public; not plan to kill them WHEN they show up.

Can't wait to see your segment!

The guy that really worries me is the guy who talks about hiding in his "spider hole" and waiting for someone to move into his house and then picking them off one at a time. This guy is a real psychopath and is exactly the type of person that gives survivalist/preppers a bad name. Let's say for example things go south and you and your family have to head out of town. You've been on foot for a few days(or longer) and you come across a house that appears to be empty. Now normally you wouldn't think of moving into someone's house but desperate times call for desperate measures. You're hungry and tired, this doesn't mean you are bad people. If someone was obviously home you would keep going or approach cautiously and ask for help. But no one is there. As night falls this guy is out in the treeline with a night vision scope trained on you and your family. It also appears that this guy lives in the Sierra's of California. This guy is running around with illegal 20-30 round magazines in his rifle on nat'l television. I suppose it's possible that he's on the Nevada side.

The guy that really worries me is the guy who talks about hiding in his "spider hole" and waiting for someone to move into his house and then picking them off one at a time. This guy is a real psychopath and is exactly the type of person that gives survivalist/preppers a bad name. Let's say for example things go south and you and your family have to head out of town. You've been on foot for a few days(or longer) and you come across a house that appears to be empty. Now normally you wouldn't think of moving into someone's house but desperate times call for desperate measures. You're hungry and tired, this doesn't mean you are bad people. If someone was obviously home you would keep going or approach cautiously and ask for help. But no one is there. As night falls this guy is out in the treeline with a night vision scope trained on you and your family. It also appears that this guy lives in the Sierra's of California. This guy is running around with illegal 20-30 round magazines in his rifle on nat'l television. I suppose it's possible that he's on the Nevada side.
Right i record em so I can fast forward when it gets to ridiculous Nat Geo goes for the extremism....

JackJobe

I really enjoyed your part of the show. Like you, after I realized that this nice protective bubble a lot of us live in could actually burst I began prepping and striving to become more self reliant. It was nice to see someone with a sense of humor on the show. I feel like they try to find the ex-military, overly serious, seen too much types.

I think your level of motivation will inspire others who think location, age, fitness level, and being looked at as crazy or silly are reasons why they shouldn't or don't want to prep to start. Prepping has helped motivate me to be more organized and prepared not only for unforeseen disasters or events, but life in general. A lot of times prepping and trying to live a healthier lifestyle are the same thing.

I love the show in general. It's entertaining and sparks ideas, but I have a feeling the spider hole guy is one seriously lonely man. However crazy some of the people on the show seem, most of them have some really good ideas and the little fact and statistic pop ups are nice too. Our wednesday mornings are DDP on the DVR then reading and coffee. Can't wait till next week.

Sign in to follow this