Sign in to follow this  
simplejones

Edc, ghb/bob

my kit i designed for me alone in mind for simple, mobility and speed, i do have additional bags for my wife & daughter and will add what i need to add to mine if they are with me.

i know alot would say that a military looking pack is not a good idea. but it works for me with the modularity, size and fit. i do not posses any firearms at the time but do have plans for a glock 19 and socom M1A. i will try to post pictures soon of the contents.

EDC-

keys+whistle

cell+wallet in C4

surefire 6p

app trail pocket knife

multitool

survival bracelet

raincoat w/ fleece lining(weatherwise)

GHB/BOB-camelbak motherlode

-food

-swedish mess kit & light my fire spork

-alcohol stove w/ fuel(stored inside mess kit)

-food(2 times a day for 7 days)

-hydration

-katadyn hiker water filter

-omega 100oz bladder(part of pack)

-fire

-bic lighter

-flint

-shelter

-silnylon tarp with lashings

-light

-cr123 batts(12)

-nav

-map and compass**

-mirror

-tools/utility

-flush, gauze, tape, sutures, scapel

-painkillers, sm bottle alcohol, quikclot

-2X10' paracord

-1X50' paracord

-CRKT full size folder

-duct tape(on old hotel card)

-e-shovel

-hone

-clothes

-cotton/polyster zipoff pants & t-shirt(ziploc)

-socks(2)(ziploc)

-badana

**-will transfer to EDC when GHB/BOB is being used

winter gear

-blk cotton gloves

-wool finger stub gloves with mitten pullovers &fleece lined

-lg blk cotton watch cap

-skull cap

-long johns

-knee high gaiters

in event that im away from home i also have a 6 gal container of water in the car.

Edited by simplejones
bag adjustments

very good list sir, but as we all know on this site....your never really done=)

yes you're right im not done. this is my list until i have more funding. the first thing so far is to upgrade my survival knife, expand my first aid, and get a sleep gear.

but right now with my pack geared more toward GHB rather than a BOB, which was my goal to start, will add on more things to become more of a BOB later on, now i need to focus on my home stockpile and home defenses (not involving firearms since i dont have one yet) since i have a wife with some health issues which would make it very difficult to bug out quickly and doesnt do well with extreme changes, and a little girl(16 months as of feb 1st). so if the worst comes we're buggin in until our lives are on the line.

Edited by simplejones

Can you light a fire with what is handy? ever tried to survive when the lights go out? do you need a pocket knife or a hatchet? is education more important than things in a bag? Lighter/flint/small 1st aid/water/light stick/pen/wire saw/ whats really important...

Can you light a fire with what is handy? ever tried to survive when the lights go out? do you need a pocket knife or a hatchet? is education more important than things in a bag? Lighter/flint/small 1st aid/water/light stick/pen/wire saw/ whats really important...

yes fire 4 ways so far, flint and knife, bic lighter(used for lighting alky stove), bow drill using paracord and stick with split piece of wood using a hatchet and divot holes with a knife, and friction fire using split wood with a hatchet and thick branch cut up again with a hatchet. wire saw is useless for me after 3 days of good use therefore the hatchet which is good just about forever using a smooth stone to sharpen. yes i need to pocket knife just in case i need to drop the GHB/BOB and run, and hatchet is also good for making natural shelter, weapons, etc etc. yes/no to education, with out any tools your're almost screwed, having tools without education you're screwed. and i practice by going BOB camping. pen is useless to me. light sticks only last a few hours, i use my flashlight everyday and have back up batts to last me hours. i have to consider the fact that i travel between 10mi to 120 mi from home so if my fam is home and i need to get home i need to consider what it would take to get 120 mi.therefore my slightly weighty stuff. thats whats important to me.

Edited by simplejones

Just off the top of my head, I'd take either the hatchet or the e-shovel. You can use the shovel as a hatchet, or use the hatchet to make a digging stick. And depending on the local flora swap the alcohol stove for an esbit style pocket stove since you can alter it to burn wood with some efficiency. I didn't notice, it on the list, but a curved upholstery or quilting needle that's big enough to use with para cord guts is also handy, although I use a sail makers needle but I'm an odd one.

Edit; I'm not being critical, but if you have a lot of ground to cover less weight means more distance with lower calorie consumption. My suggestions are made with that in mind.

Edited by Vicioustom

Just off the top of my head, I'd take either the hatchet or the e-shovel. You can use the shovel as a hatchet, or use the hatchet to make a digging stick. And depending on the local flora swap the alcohol stove for an esbit style pocket stove since you can alter it to burn wood with some efficiency. I didn't notice, it on the list, but a curved upholstery or quilting needle that's big enough to use with para cord guts is also handy, although I use a sail makers needle but I'm an odd one.

good idea but e-shovel is not strong enough for batoning, and i have thought of making a hoe like scoop and somehow attach it to the hatchet, dont want to weld it tho. the alcohol stove is for when im on a jobsite. but i normally just set the mess kit on the fire itself. i have considered a needle for the paracord guts to use for repairs. havent gotten one tho. the ones i have are for standard thread

I'd like to recommend a machete then, as long as you don't live in the redwood forest, I used to have a Tapanga design that worked pretty well for digging as well as chopping, not trying to push my preferred tools an anyone, just share some of my experiences. I've also heard that rice machetes work well for this purpose, but have no experience with them. In either case you could get a significant weight reduction by replacing two with one. Just ensure you buy a quality blade as with anything else.

As far as needles go, you may be able to sind the sort of needle needed at a craft store, failing that try a leather working store. weight to usefulness ratio the needle is probably up towards the top imho.

i have really been looking at the kabar kukri machete, being a fan of kabars. any knowledge about it?

I owned one briefly. My experiences were poor, with the tool, and with the company when the tool failed. I'll probably get strung up, but I've owned a couple of Ka Bars and had bad experiences with all of them.

The Kukri in question suffered and edge separation most likely do to a poor heat treat. For machete's and similar heavy blades I try to stick with companies that have been making inductrial agriculture machetes for a long time. Imacasa(Condor knife and tool is owned by them), Marindale, Marbles, and Tramontina, to name a few brands. I've used a couple of Condors offereings and found the quality functionality to be exceptional, my new favorite is made by them. Ontario and cold steel are also worth a look. I own a couple of Kukri's and don't dislike them, but they are pigeonholed into what they can do by design so outside of chopping they kinda lag behind other designs.