Sign in to follow this  
Guest survival101

Survival on a Budget 2.0

Guest survival101

This was a great thread, and really well received.

http://www.survivalcache.com/forums/showthread.php?168-Survival-on-a-Budget

So how about we do a spin on that? I was wondering what you and yours have done to generate or save extra cash so you can buy necessary gear? And just for the heck of it, what item(s) are you saving for right now?

We're paring down, and the items leaving to make space in our home for storage are going on Craigslist. And, once a week, I sneak in an extra item on the grocery list, and tuck it in storage. Just started couponing again too. It's amazing how motivated you can be when you have a purpose in mind. How about you?

Oh, yeah, we're saving for a Kelley Kettle and a Coleman Stove, cover all the bases. Bug Out, Bug In Off Grid.

Edited by survival101
added info

Was just reading through the new posts and came across this, Scholarships pay for my college tuition and books and all that good stuff, but every semester I get a refund check, whatever is left over I get paid, so every semester I go on a little survival shopping spree it always helps to put away a little extra from every paycheck also ;) just dont tell the girlfriend lol

Guest survival101

@Tryn2Survive, I'm sure you already sell back your textbooks, or sell on half.com, but if not, that's always good for a few bucks.

Guest kevin

i too am on a budget so doing things on the cheap is a must. the one area i've found a big savings in is getting my animals(chicken,rabbits, for now, milk goat soon) to pay for themselves .fresh eggs we sale for 2 bucks a dozen and a bunny will run you $10, we up that to $20 the month b4 easter , this easily pays for the feed and helps to off set the building expenses ,that are considerable, to get started. my next project is a wood gasifier. one other way i try to save is by purchasing my non military ammo around hunting season not only does remington and winchester have sales then they also have mail in rebates witch makes a box of 30-06 or 270 (20 count) that normally sales for around $20 is reduced to $13.

and on the lines of not letting the old lady know. walmart now has tula 7.62x39 ammo for 4.88 a 20 count box, ive found i can send after a box every time she goes and she doesnt fuss because hey its 5 bucks. one trip a week 52 weeks in a year = 1000+ rounds SHE bought.

We also have a few things to put on craigslist, and my hubby scraps (mostly stuff from our business). I bargain shop for just about everything via thrift shops, craigslist, garage sales, and sometimes freecycle to save money and to get some cheap preps too.

I've been looking for nice 55 gallon rain collection barrels. I think I might have save for those as I've only been able to find unattractive ones for cheap.

Guest survival101

Good feedback. Thanks. Been thinking of scrapping myself. I've done just about everything else. My Bov seats fold up, and it's like a cargo van almost. So, at least I have something to haul in. Was thinking of telling folks having garage sale I would haul off their stuff free, then sort it, re-sale, scrap, or donate it. Return the donate receipt to them. My mind is bent on prepping and even one box of ammo, or one grocery item put by is like a victory.

and on the lines of not letting the old lady know. walmart now has tula 7.62x39 ammo for 4.88 a 20 count box, ive found i can send after a box every time she goes and she doesnt fuss because hey its 5 bucks. one trip a week 52 weeks in a year = 1000+ rounds SHE bought.

Thats what I like .....teamwork....:)

I bought some Tobacco seed and will give it a try.We are getting ready for Yard sales soon and going through stuff we realy dont need.

Will convert the cash to wifes want list.Ruger 9mm/SR9c.and my Mosin and ammo.

Edited by 101matt

Poor mans equipment

Multi-tool

4" Vice Grips slightly modified (I put a groove in the jarw of mine with a dermal that runs inline with the jaws for holding the saw blades.

Reciprocating saw blades

Magnetic bit holder

Bits

Drills

Exacto blades

Box blades

razorblades

Other assorted longer blades

Small crescent wrench

Point file

Mill file

Small box like and altoids to hold the bits and blades.

Survival Knife

One big ole heavy butcher knife with a few basic modifications

One smaller paring knife with a few modifications

Tent

Heavy plastic drop cloth

Duct tape

Heavy string

Sleeping bag

Wool army blanket

Space blanket

Flannel sheet

Hammock

4 yards of ripstop nylon type material ( I paid a dollar a yard for mine from Wally world.

Tie a knot in each end

Hang with several strands of 550 para cord

Put plastic drop cloth material over it

Fire

Bic lighter

Strike anywhere matches dipped in paraffin

Fire starter

Old candle stubs melted when ad sawdust, dryer lint from cotton towels and some small wood chips. Pour into fiber type egg carton and cut out.

Cotton soaked in Vaseline then stuffed into film canister or cheep waterproof match box.

Real flint and steel, make it yourself and practice. You will also need char cloth and tender but those you also make yourself and cost nothing.

Swedish fire steel…Look up Ferrocerium Flint on Ebey, buy the bare rod and make your own with a little piece of wood a piece of shoe lace and a broken hacksaw blade for around 5 bucks OR buy them with a magnisiam bar rod for a little over 3 and a half bucks from China on Ebey

Trick birthday candles…you blow them out and they will relight themselves!

Edited by Danm

Guest survival101

Dang it, Danm, I'd hate to meet up with you in a dark alley. Wondering about modifying the butcher knife... hmmmm... Today we bought our first storage locker. We bought it for the prep stuff we wanted inside it, but plan to sell off some to help pay for the locker. BTW, the storage rats in our area turn out to be pretty nice folks. Not too many are hard to deal with.

I actually like the old school carbon steel knives and have gotten a lot of my stuff from old backwoodsmen and mountain man types. In the old days a knife was a general do all tool and as such were basically a lot like butcher knives because that is what they did a lot of. I scrounge a lot of my goodies in resale shops, flea markets and garage sales. I'm always on the look out for old rusty knives. I like a little more point on my knives than most butcher knives have so I reshape them to suit my eye. On some I also may add a brass guard and may even put a new handle to them. I do a lot of knife work and have made a passel of them out of good old carbon steel. I bought a big sawmill blade one time and made a slew of great knives out of it. Files that are annealed, shaped and then tempered just right also make nice knives.

Generally I don't have much money invested in them just some time. Among about a half dozen other professions I'm a machinist so metal working is something I'm familiar with and have the tools for.

LOL, My days of hanging out in dark alleys are over. It is amazing how time takes the meanness out of you. Now you are more likely to run into me in a book store, coffee shop or out walking in the woods or on the water fishing. Hell I don't even hunt much any more. It's not that I have a problem with it, I just would rather look at them now and then buy a rib-eye.

Edited by Danm

i have actually found a lot of good deals on ebay. i look for free shipping and try to get small items, such as compasses, and whistles for pennies. each week i draw out about 50 bucks and put that towards preps. later i will upgrade on the items that could use being higher quality. i find great deals on amazon too. found a 100 dollar solar/battery/ crank wb/am/fm/sw radio, for 20 bucks on amazon and that included shipping. i go on listia as well and have gotten things like a multitool for free points and no shipping. i also hit up rummage sales when its season. i got a portable toilet, unused for only 25 cents that way. i hit up the second hand stores regularly too. basically anywhere i can think to save money i do it. im saving up for a rack to hold 12 of the 5 gallon jugs, as well as the water to store on it. also looking to purchase #10 cans of foods that my family will actually eat like mashed potatoes. also saving for a shopping spree at sams club, to get things like spoons, forks, knives, plates, cups, garbage bags and toilet paper and paper towels. they are not high cost items. my most expensive purchase was our bug out vehicle, which is also hubbys work vehicle. we had to save for that first as a reliable vehicle was a necessity. our others were slowly nickel and dime ing us to death. the minivan was large enough for the family to fit but had little in the way of storage. the other was a full size van which is huge enough that everyone can sit comfortably but it has been very unreliable. instead of sinking more money in that pit, we found a crew cab pickup with cap. but our next purchases will definitely be food and water preps, as that is where i am lacking. i am considering renting a storage shed to store the food and water preps. but i am trying to stay within my budget.

i have actually found a lot of good deals on ebay. i look for free shipping and try to get small items, such as compasses, and whistles for pennies. each week i draw out about 50 bucks and put that towards preps. later i will upgrade on the items that could use being higher quality. i find great deals on amazon too. found a 100 dollar solar/battery/ crank wb/am/fm/sw radio, for 20 bucks on amazon and that included shipping. i go on listia as well and have gotten things like a multitool for free points and no shipping. i also hit up rummage sales when its season. i got a portable toilet, unused for only 25 cents that way. i hit up the second hand stores regularly too. basically anywhere i can think to save money i do it. im saving up for a rack to hold 12 of the 5 gallon jugs, as well as the water to store on it. also looking to purchase #10 cans of foods that my family will actually eat like mashed potatoes. also saving for a shopping spree at sams club, to get things like spoons, forks, knives, plates, cups, garbage bags and toilet paper and paper towels. they are not high cost items. my most expensive purchase was our bug out vehicle, which is also hubbys work vehicle. we had to save for that first as a reliable vehicle was a necessity. our others were slowly nickel and dime ing us to death. the minivan was large enough for the family to fit but had little in the way of storage. the other was a full size van which is huge enough that everyone can sit comfortably but it has been very unreliable. instead of sinking more money in that pit, we found a crew cab pickup with cap. but our next purchases will definitely be food and water preps, as that is where i am lacking. i am considering renting a storage shed to store the food and water preps. but i am trying to stay within my budget.

Nice going Jessie! Sounds like you are making great progress.