Sign in to follow this  
tinderwolf

Death By Scented Candle

When buying candles for a back up light source/cooking, don't by scented candles. They violate the rules of OpSpec. You don't want to give your position away because someone or something smells apple cinnamon strawberry delight. Just a thought.

Guest survival101

I have to laugh at myself sometimes when I read this stuff. I'm just the one who would do this, too. Thanks for that.

hey rick we didnt want to say any thing. But Aqua Velva and high karate scented candles?
LMAO!

My wife and I were going through our BOB's and I notice she packed a bunch of scented candles, she said if she was roughing it she didn't have to "rough" it and wanted to add a bit of class to the outdoors. I told her she would be adding plenty of class to the outdoors with just her being there, with her heart spinning in the clouds she didn't notice me smashing the candles into the trash can. OPSPEC OPSPEC! After whispering this to myself all night while I walked around the house she thought I might be taking my prepping too seriously, Oh yeah I told her?? You watch Doomsday Preppers lately????

Good catch Tinder. My wife would have every hungry person for 1000 miles coming if she still "had" the candles she bought; pumpkin pie and apple something or other. I'm with you, a candle may be necessary, but it doesn't have to be scented to do its intended purpose.

Well, if you get short of food, burning the candle that smells like pumpkin pie would just make things worse. I guess it would make eating weeds a little more pleasant.

LOL, true. What is it they say, 75% of taste is actually through smell? (I am not sure number is correct or even close)

maybe that would make an interesting post for reg5 or capt bart. ROFLMAO.

Alright Rick...lol. The first to go is fashion sense, plaid pants that stop 4 inches from your ankle, striped shirt, belt and suspenders. Other than that, we wouldn't have to worry about the comments from other thread about placing limits like china...lmao.

Alright - but the scented candles do have a role .... placed in the center of an ambush spot they serve as a decoy to lure in the BG's. The drill would be to stop before nightfall, eat your evening meal, right at nightfall light the candle and move to your overnight location. Any bad guys will head for the original stopping site, giving you time to react, either offensive action or E&E but you have time.

In truth, I suspect that after TSHTF we'd find our noses become much more sensitive due to the lack of man made smells assaulting our senses. No perfume, no aftershave, no deodorant, no fuel smells - we will become more sensitive to smells and a scented candle could become overpowering and an irritant.

Just my not so humble opinion.

In truth, I suspect that after TSHTF we'd find our noses become much more sensitive due to the lack of man made smells assaulting our senses. No perfume, no aftershave, no deodorant, no fuel smells - we will become more sensitive to smells and a scented candle could become overpowering and an irritant.

Just my not so humble opinion.

capt, they will come in handy to help cover up any smells of sewage or death though too. there will be a time and a place for the sented ones.

BUT I WANNA SMELL LIKE SWEET PEAS!!!!!!!!!

no really though, great point... but given the circumstances a special candle that you only light every now and then could be a bit of a morale boost... *shrug*

Or as Capt noted, a great distraction...

Edited by Mudbass7