Sign in to follow this  
DesertRat

Prepping with an infant in mind

a thought with the cloth diapers, you can buy these washboard basins on amazon and use a bar of like ivory soap. ivory will get stains out and the washboard basin is small and easily portable. in fact i just bought one of these washboard basins as a backup for when our electric goes out. but i know for a fact that ivory soap removes stains and smells from cloth diapers and ivory soap is fairly inexpensive

Ok, here I go... First off breast fed babies have fewer problems and in a world without refrigeration it is just the easiest way to go. Now, that said there are options that you might not have thought of. I kept my Grand-baby from 6 in the morning to 5 in the evening for the first 9 months of her life. She was breast fed. Mom pumped and even at work she would go to the bathroom and pump during lunch. Mama's milk doesn't require refrigeration for at LEAST 24 hours SO Daddy, you don't get to slide on the feedings or the night time stuff. This worked great because from the get go my Little Danni was a gnawer and it just drove Mom up the wall! I hate to think about when she got teeth! So all you need is bottles a dependable pump and the desire to do it.

As far as the other foods, they don't need other foods for a long time. Danni got nothing but milk from Mom for the first 7 months and did great. People used to breast feed for two years at least. When it comes time to let them try a little real food do it as the Indians did. YOU chew it up and then give them a little bit. In a survival situation you do not need a blender or other fancy stuff. You have teeth and can prechew until they get some of their own. Danni is 18 months old now and she just naturally tore up some ribeye steak last night so it doesn't take long. I would just bite her off little pieces and give it to her.

Babies are really pretty easy little monsters to take care of. They are tough as hell with soft bones and just seem to bounce when you would be broke for sure. Apes are not rocket scientists and they manage quite well without a lot of fancy equipment. As far as diapers, when you are carrying them it is pretty important but when you are not on the move let them go sky clad (nakie) as nature intended.

When I was a kid this was pretty common in the rural areas as was the sight of a lady breast feeding. I personally think that it reflects a sick, dying and decadent society when a woman feeding a baby in public is considered almost a crime. Most of the crap you see for babies is actually stuff for parents. All a baby needs is love, milk from mama and swaddling clothes when they are in bed so they don't pee and crap on their blankets. Just keep them warm and near and they will do great...even better than the kids raised in a normal (read messed up) society. When out and about let them go aunaturale and wipe their buts as needed. Believe me, if you can house break a dog you can get a kid to do it outside most of the time too.

As far as toting the little buggers, carry them in a sling in front when they are tiny then move them into a backpack when they get so their little necks are stronger. I packed Danni all over the place in an old back pack with leg holes cut in it until the kids got me a newfangled fancy one that was made for baby toting. Kids are fun, enjoy them and realize that in general they are tougher than you. All the crap you hear these days about honey and such is mostly legal issues. There is NO such thing any more as acceptable risk. If one baby in a hundred million would be killed because of a reaction to honey or peanut-butter then everyone has to be scared spitless about it. If they don't warn us into terror then when that one poor child dies they get sued and will WIN because they KNEW that it might happen and didn't make every effort possible to warn people! This is also why when you buy an Electric Iron they have to tell you and WARN you not to iron your clothes while you WEAR them....Sheesh!!!!

PS: Thumbs don't get lost, wear out or get stuck in a baby's throat if they come apart like pacifiers. You won't be out at midnight trying to find the one type that will make them stop crying because you can't find any.

Edited by Danm

Good point about the stream washing but theres nowhere to dispose of the liners if theres no trash pickup, or the disposable diapers would be ok. There will have to be a cleaning system setup the cloth diaper most likely.

Burn it, if possible.Worst case, bury it