Sign in to follow this  
DesertRat

Prepping with an infant in mind

We are four months from being parents and I think it would be nice to have an article or something along the lines of how to prep with an infant. I realize that baby's needs change quickly as they progress through the months, but we are first time parents, and any information from someone who has prepped and been a new parent would be very helpful. Some of my questions include: How to stock up on baby food, when diets change from puree to solids, without having a lot of unnessecary stuff? To cut to the point; if I was going to restock and prepare our BOBs for a new baby what do we need? What is essential and what can you get by without?

Thanks in advance.

DesertRat

As a dad to one year old twins, a lot was constantly going through my mind before they were born trying to think as you are. I'm not sure of the baby food because my kids ate all freshly prepared food, never the store bought stuff. I think the food expires about every six months which is a bummer. A lot of the freeze dried like the yogurt, and those type of baby foods will last for a while and my girls love them. From my experience they were eating puree foods from 3-9 months. We steamed any fruit and mashed it for them. In survival situations fresh foods are the hardest to come by in even the most prepared scenarios. This is why breast feeding is extremely important. An infant can survive off just breast milk for as long as six months, then they start to require other food as a supplement. Since rise or oatmeal aren't that difficult to gather i would recommend those because they also have a long shelf life. And having some stock of the puree baby food that could feed them until 12 months would be ideal because by one year they can eat everything that you would eat. Make sure you have some good knifes that you are able to sharpen. Cloth diapers, and clothes for cleaning because obviously you won't be able to go to the store. That's all I can think of right now so i'm done rambling.

yeah diapers of some sort is close to top of the list. I second the cloth diapers because if the SHTF you will have no place to put used disposables let alone get more.

Stock up on some 'sturdy' bottles, and not to be invasive but a hand powered breast pump might be good because if you happen to be on the move mom might not have the time or luxury to stop and feed jr.

Clothing might be another one of those things that has to wait until the baby is here, but you can look at some unisex full body snow suits in case you are out in the cold, baby's size doesn't matter much with those since they aren't mobile they can wear an over sized one. Hats, gloves and socks of all sorts are good to stock on too, because they get lost somehow, fast...

This is an opinion more than anything but I would recommend the harness style baby carrier over the sling style due to unpleasant stories, but it's more an individual thing I'm sure.

There are other things but this is all I can think of at the moment. This site is helpful for those with wee ones.

http://thesurvivalmom.com/

DesertRat,

Gallon zip lock bags! The tent has NOT been invented that is big enough for a diaper pail! You'll want to do laundry daily but you'll need to keep the, ahem, 'used' diapers safe and the remaining contents of a BOB safe from each other.

Canned veggies, mashed up and mixed with honey should work very well. Even meat, not seasoned, can be taken from the canning jar and pureed, add some honey, and they'll love it. A little older and you can skip the puree step. Rice is always good, add a little honey and your good to go, just like with oat meal. Oh, did I mention you'll need a little honey?

Robes instead of shirts and pants, especially in the desert/high sun areas. Think Laurence of Arabia. They don't out grow that as fast as "American" clothes. Pacifiers, with a little honey, (did I mention honey?) will help keep them quiet.

Here I'm going to break a rule. While I strongly encourage breast feeding as being good for both the baby and for mom, in a high stress situation, it may not be possible. Nobody's fault but excessive stress, like, oh, I don't know, TEOTWAWKI, can interfere with the mother's ability to make milk. Be prepared to use formula. I think powdered would be best if it is available and your child can use it. It's been awhile since I was in the baby isle so I'm not sure what's there. I would go with disposable bottles. Yes, I know, trash, not reusable etc. BUT you are most likely not going to be able to conveniently sterilize glass bottles and that risks illness for the little one. I'd estimate what I think I need for the first six month in terms of bottles, nipples etc., double it and add 10% just because Murphy was a bloody optimist.

Just first thoughts. Thank you for starting this thread, it is a good one. I'd invite the more recent moms and dads to jump in. My reflections are all about 37 years old!

I definitely agree with the carrier, not a sling.

I'm on the fence about breastfeeding, both because of production in a high stress environment and the fact that it is tiring for the mother.

With an infant, I'm going to do everything I can to bug IN. If not possible, then improvise. Once they're 6 months old, you can pretty much just mash up whatever soft food you have for them.

I disagree on the honey, though it's just a generational thing. I know babies have been raised for a long time on honey, but these days it's a no-no until they are a year old.

Thank you to all. All the posts have given me quite a bit to think about. I think the bugging in option is really the only viable option unless something really bad goes down and we have to run for it. Now I have another question about security (goes with the topic on the main site) A colicly infant is sure to give away a position. Of course I am not going to ditch the baby, but what methods of quieting a baby actually work?

Mcs,

Not arguing about the honey, it was a long time ago for me, but do you have a specific reason for no honey? It might be important to know.

Auto,

My first born was fussy while my bride and I were out at a Gasthaus (German Restaurant). She kept spitting out the pacifier and just would not calm down. We were about ready to abandon our evening and leave when this well dressed lady across the aisle stood up, came over and, rather sternly, said "Nein, Nein!" grabbed the pacifier, dunked it in my beer and put it in my baby's mouth. She started on that thing like you would not believe and dropped right off to sleep. The lady looked at us and said something like "AMERICANS!", shook her head and went back to her meal. Worked very well for all three kids, (bourbon works pretty well also) but it needs to be a German type beer. Some of the American beers are pretty weak on taste when compared to German beers.

DesertRat,

Bugging in is the best option with a newborn. Put the baby's room as far to the back of the house as possible to maximize the sound proofing effects of the house. Bottom line is, the little one may give away your position and then you are forced to deal with others. They may be coming to help, thinking the baby may be alone, or they may be coming to take, figuring they have an easy target. Don't be trigger happy but be prepared to defend your location. I have a book review pending on 'Holding your ground'. Some things in his Chapter 12 I didn't like at all but everything else was pretty decent and had some good thoughts.

Chapter 12's problem was the author's love affair with the AR platform and 12 gauge. He really does a disservice by assuming those are the only viable weapons for our use.

Finally, have a bug out plan anyway. If 50 MZB start ransacking your neighborhood, you want to be able to grab and go before they get to you. Develop the plan, perhaps cache some supplies on your exit route and have that as a plan B. Never want to use it, but it will be there for use on a VERY bad day.

As always, just my not so humble opinion.

I've heard dipping the pacifier in beer is the German solution to teething. I don't know about the honey I've been told not to do it but I don't remember why.

Infants can develop severe allergic reactions (SEVERE!!) when exposed to certain foodstuffs. Honey is definitely one of them. I believe peanut butter and strawberries may be included also. Their little immune system needs to grow a bit before they are able to deal with things. Check with your doctor or nurse first.

Never used much honey but did use white karo. A little whiskey on your finger and rub it on thier gums when teething works wonders. Us old farts where raised on the old ways and turned out just fine and so did our kids. So I don't always agree with these new doctors when it comes to babies. I do agree about being on the fence when it come to breast feeding in a stressful situation. A supply of good quality powered formula is a good idea. Like capt. bart said some zipp lock bags for diapers WHEEEW can still remember that odor. lol

Mcs,

Not arguing about the honey, it was a long time ago for me, but do you have a specific reason for no honey? It might be important to know.

Had to look it up as I couldn't remember the why;

from - http://kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_newborn/feeding/honey_botulism.html

It's true that honey should not be fed to infants younger than 1 year old. Clostridium bacteria that cause infant botulism usually thrive in soil and dust. However, they can also contaminate certain foods — honey in particular. Infant botulism can cause muscle weakness, with signs like poor sucking, a weak cry, constipation, and an overall decreased muscle tone (floppiness).

Parents can reduce the risk of infant botulism by not introducing honey or any processed foods containing honey (like honey graham crackers) into their baby's diet until after the first birthday. Light and dark corn syrups are thought by some to also contain botulism-causing bacteria, but no proven cases of infant botulism have been attributed to ingesting these products. However, check with your doctor before giving these syrups to an infant.

As kids get older, their bodies are better able to handle the bacteria.

Edited by TheMcs

I would wait until the baby is born before stocking up on baby formula. When my daughter was born she was on special formula for a year. Id also stock up on baby wipes. Those are good for a lot of things.One thing I read about recently was stocking up on shoes and clothes for when their older because if its TEOTWAWKI who knows if any stores will be available. Ive started stocking up on baby meds like Infant tylenol and advil also cold meds. My daughters 3 now so my needs are a little differant now. Shes a fussy eater so its hard for me to figure out what kind of foods to stock up on. Ive been looking out for clothes for her at the end of a season you can usually pick up some good deals.

Guys and ladies,

Thanks for the posts. The honey thing was new to me, now I know. The Karo syrup sounds like it might be a decent idea.

I'm still using baby wipes - there are a ton of things they're good for besides little chubby backsides.

The baby meds are probably critical. My Brit friends couldn't get the meds in England due to rationing - I don't care what the government was calling it, if you can only buy 10 pills a week IT IS RATIONED! Want to bet it happens here if the infectious diseases cross the border?

Again, thank you for the new information. I appreciate it.

Amen to the baby meds. I've never tried the beer to the paci, but I know that oragel works wonders. I actually tried it myself to see what it did that worked so well... that part of my mouth was numb for an hour! Its like what the dentist does to you without the shot. Give some infant tylenol or ibuprofen at the same time and you should be covered for a few hours.

I've heard dipping the pacifier in beer is the German solution to teething. I don't know about the honey I've been told not to do it but I don't remember why.

merlot works well too ;).

i think there is a low allergic risk to beer or wine and it does not spoil so you won't poison them either. people have used beer and accidentally inventred beer due to its ability to stay fresh and consumable

Guys and ladies,

Thanks for the posts. The honey thing was new to me, now I know. The Karo syrup sounds like it might be a decent idea.

I'm still using baby wipes - there are a ton of things they're good for besides little chubby backsides.

The baby meds are probably critical. My Brit friends couldn't get the meds in England due to rationing - I don't care what the government was calling it, if you can only buy 10 pills a week IT IS RATIONED! Want to bet it happens here if the infectious diseases cross the border?

Again, thank you for the new information. I appreciate it.

Processed honey probably has enough sugar to keep them awake and alert for several hours!

Whiskey will not keep them awake. Just another thought.

Processed honey probably has enough sugar to keep them awake and alert for several hours!

Whiskey will not keep them awake. Just another thought.

Bourbon works well for teething problems. Numbs the gums, is slightly sweet, dries the sinuses slightly and helps them sleep. Worked very well for my 3.

If you're stocking up on clothes diapers, PLEASE, do yourself and your wife a huge favor and also get the plastic liners. Remember, those diapers need to be laundered in an environment where a washing machine is most likely not available. Besides, you don't want to contaminate the water supply. Wherever you are, people downstream will rely on the water.

As far as baby's crying: I'm from Germany and we were all raised on a little whiskey either on the pacifier, rubbed on gums or added to tea for a bad tummy. Moderation, of course, is key!

Good point about the stream washing but theres nowhere to dispose of the liners if theres no trash pickup, or the disposable diapers would be ok. There will have to be a cleaning system setup the cloth diaper most likely.