Sign in to follow this  
shadowplyr

detailed map usage

PSLL, there is a couple threads for free downloads of Army manuals. Look under the multimedia thread for one. There is a link and you can download the Land Nav manual. There are a few other threads with links for free downloads which offer non military Land Nav books as well.

I am at this moment trying to create a grid map by state.

each grid is a Arby's Chick fillet mcdonalds sonic jack in the box churches fried chicken kentucky fried chicken

dominos pizza, pizza hut, little caesars, papa johns dennny's, long john silvers and taco bell.

All the chick fillet's are at the malls so all the kids and parents would know that one.

Because we are an obese country as per our first lady this would be a better way to train those 95% of the population that has not been in the military.

Always take a pair of binoculars with you at all times when you depend on a map!!!

Look first at a LAND mark 1/2 mile ahead and other things that stick out!Right it down and draw a small picture of it in your hand book..

Once you get there look back and see the area you left! Its a descipline that you have to do in case you have to back track...

For a good tracker you need to recognize your area,commeing and going..

JMO..

well here is a nice tool if you want all the info

Silva Data Center II - Altimeter++ 2851105-7$99.95

Altimeter: Current altitude, 24 hr history graph, range of -2,315 to +30,065ft

Barometer: Current pressure in hPa or inHg, with 24 hr history graph

Thermometer: Temperature in C or F

Weather Forecast: 4 symbols to predict weather

Digital Compass: 1 deg increments, adjustable declination, bearing lock

Time: 12/24 hr format, Day,Date,Time, with 2 daily alarms and hourly chime

Chronograph: Elapsed and split time

Countdown Timer: Manual or quick-set modes

Pacer: 30 to 180 bpm (not a heart rate monitor)

Step Counter: Up to 99,999 steps (not a pedometer)

Water Resistant: up to 50M

Low Battery Indicator

EL Backlight

Dimensions: 2.25in x 3.75in x 0.8in

Weight: 2.0 oz.

here is a good map site

http://www.compassdude.com/default.shtml

Matt,

You are correct about watching your backtrail. Alot of books always bring up about watching the backtrail as a "security" (keeping an eye out for an ambush) precaution but that was only half of the reason; the other was to see what the landscape looked like from the other direction. I just don't think many of the authors understood WHY it was done, only that it was done. It's similiar to authors not having a clue about weapons systems but they make them into super systems and yet in reality, they are sub par at best.

JCMS, Thanks for the link. One of these might be useful and a good tool for the wife or stepson. I like the Kestrels for my extra info for calculating long distance drops and drifts if using modern tools.

Thanks Reg..

Some of this back watching I learned in the City as a youth,turn and hide watch what moves toward you and from what direction?can I excape by going backwards and around?

Its just in my nature to watch my back/pivot and check!

Pluss looking at where you were in the woods gives your brain more information on that site if ever you pass that way again..

and yes its also setting up an ambush mentalaty...if you KNOW for sure how they are coming at you,than lead them to a choke point or head into another direction and make them work for ever move they make..

3 against 1 in the woods and you need the advantage..

I love it when Im Bow hunting and a "Squirrell''hunter walks up on me and does not even know Im there..I only say "Hellow" after he has passed and his back is twords me and im safley behind a tree..No I dont do tree stands..

Edited by 101matt

Thanks Reg..

Some of this back watching I learned in the City as a youth,turn and hide watch what moves toward you and from what direction?can I excape by going backwards and around?

Its just in my nature to watch my back/pivot and check!

Pluss looking at where you were in the woods gives your brain more information on that site if ever you pass that way again..

and yes its also setting up an ambush mentalaty...if you KNOW for sure how they are coming at you,than lead them to a choke point or head into another direction and make them work for ever move they make..

3 against 1 in the woods and you need the advantage..

I love it when Im Bow hunting and a "Squirrell''hunter walks up on me and does not even know Im there..I only say "Hellow" after he has passed and his back is twords me and im safley behind a tree..No I dont do tree stands..

i'll bet that raises some eyebrows.

Hell Matt, depending on the 3, it just might be getting fair...lmao. I did the same to a guy in FL in the Ocala National Forest. He was riding his 4 wheeler (with a poodle in a milk crate) out thru the woods during deer season. I stepped out just a few feet from him and he kind of went off the trail thru the palmettos...lol. His poodle didn't look like it enjoyed the detour much.

I hope the following links will help People learn about the skills of Land Navigation (orienteering) using a map and compass but also even a GPS. There are a few clubs/organizations that deal with this very topic and can offer members practical experience and classes. I hope this helps anyone who is unfamiliar with the subject or even offers a free refresher for those who have done this in the past. Land Nav is a perishable skill, or at least it is for precise directions and being able to navigate to within 3 feet of your chosen waypoint.

http://www.learn-orienteering.org/old/

http://www.us.orienteering.org/

http://orienteering.org/ (international organization)

http://backwoodsok.org/control-descriptions-and-map-symbols-explained

http://web.williams.edu/Biology/Faculty_Staff/hwilliams/Orienteering/compass.html (discusses different compass types so you can compare what you have/want)

http://www.orienteeringcompassreviews.com/

http://www.geocaching.com/

There are several others out there and there are several local organizations found also. Just websearch "orienteering+your city" and you will get a list of the local clubs or stores offering orienteering gear, books, and courses. Have fun and begin with some basic "Web Nav" to find what best fits your needs.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Army-Ranger-Beads/

Link for making pace count beads. These are very simple and yet very IMPORTANT to land nav. You can also use a boot lace and tie knots in it if you lose your pace beads, pick up rocks and transfer from 1 pocket to another, etc in an emergency.

Another item that can make distance calculation easier is a range finder. Mine does out to 2000 meters and will give me the speed the "object" is moving and at what degree of travel, etc. It uses a rechargable 9v battery and I picked it up thru Brigade Quartermasters. I highly recommend knowing the pace bead method intimately and not rely on an electronic tool for survival, but they can also help you in your learning as an "answer sheet" after you do a manual pace count thru the woods. Modern "luxory" items are a great addition but they fail where knowledge and practice will always work (as long as you perform).

Edited by Regulator5

I feel like I am over commenting but I post as things come back to me...

Remember that your pace count/distance can be affected by elevation. You get a basic distance to your waypoint by measuring a FLAT map and if you are traveling up or down hill, the distance traveled will increase to reach your destination. Knowing the beginning elevation and the peak elevation or final descent elevation (or both) can help you calculate the true distance traveled.

The biggest reason to know this is to keep from getting dejected over being "off" on your initial calculations or feeling like you are not going in the correct direction because it's taking longer. This can lower your mental confidence and thus lower your chances of survival. Just something to keep in mind as you travel IMHO.