Sign in to follow this  
jkelly

Help for a novice.

I am pretty new to all of this but I would to start setting up a bob and then a smaller bag to keep in my vehicle at all times. I would appreciate some help from people with a little bit more experience than I have. I would like people to tell me the ten most important items for each bag since I am just starting and on a budget. I know this will be individual opinion and different for each person and I am fine with that! I am living in FL so severe cold is not really a serious concern and I live in a fairly urban area.

Thank you in advance for the suggestions and I hope this is the right board, if not I apologize.

lighter with ducktape wrapped around it, flint, flashlight, knife, 1st aid kit ,poncho,25ft para cord,space blanket,survial straw,put all that in coffee can I use for boiling water I have more in it your going to get many responses ultimately the choice well be yours for me i still add stuff to

jkelly

my outlook is a bit different, we cannot see the future a minimal BOB will not get you through.

everything can go wrong in a disaster or "PROBLEM" so it is best to be prepared for the long haul.

20 miles does not sound far I have made this distance quickly but when thousands of people

are all headed away from an event or out of town it could be a obstacle course.

prepping needs to be done with value and durability as well as use in mind if

your not bear grills your going to need more than minimalist equipment.

and some cheap stuff is worse than useless and some is OK.

weather has not been considered how many people work inside and do not carry a heavy coat?

have a car that uses water for coolant and windshield washer fluid but do not carry either?

have medical condition but no extra medication so an over night detour can have consequences.

some people need water more like children and people with diabetes and other reasons.

and is there a chance that family will be in the vehicle with you and what are their needs.

dollar stores, good will, resale shops as well as garage sales can help you save money

a minimal BOB you will notice redundancy there is reason to my madness

A backpack that does not look military more like college wear better yet a dry sack with shoulder straps.

Swiss army knife the explorer comes to mind has tweezers and a tooth pic as well as a magnifying glass

and a wood saw and file +++.

a small magnifying mirror and can be used as a signal mirror

Stainless steel water bottle and a military canteen with cup cover stove, water treatment tablets.

100 foot hank of 550 para cord a few carabiners depends on your area a small block and tackle.

A compass and an area map just in case your not in a area your familiar with or whom ever is in the car.

2 BIC lighters.

a large poncho

Faraday flashlight do not buy chinese ones a NIGHTSTAR is one of the best and a

LED head lamp that uses 1 or 2 AA batteries and or a pak-lite 9 volt LED light ultra

last for 80 hours and 9 volt batteries are seldom bought out and every smoke detector has one.

even a small key chain LED light.

here is the site for pak-lite http://9voltlight.com/

some cash plastic is worthless with out power 1s 5s 10s and a roll of quarters equal to

how many tanks of gas you need to get to an alternate bug out location BOL.

machete it is more menacing than a Swiss army knife or a folding shovel with a strait handle

an h&K type has a wood saw in the handle.

crescent wrench 9 inch

food depending on your weather no caned goods peanut butter and crackers in a tennis ball container

S.O.S., mainstay or other high calorie food bar you can get them from the link below.

some freeze dried meals like wise company's

www.beprepared.com

water a couple of gallons or a case beprepared.com also has mainstay 5 year water in foil packs.

first aid kit to your knowledge of first aid, do not get a surgical kit if you can't stand the sight of blood.

paper tape and antibiotic ointment antiseptic wipes.

a couple of chemical cold packs in extreme heat can revive you and you can put them in a scarf and

breathe through it for heat relief.

travel size medications Imodium aspirin tylenol vicks inhaler advil and others in a waterproof container.

extra street clothes not fancy you do not want to look like you have money extra socks and walking shoes

a jacket and leather gloves and a floppy brim hat face mask cap and sunglasses

duct tape

trash bags the big black yard bags about 4 make good leggings and extra cover warmth under a poncho.

depending on where you live a gun and shells

a multitool like a leatherman but many are less expensive and just as good

a candle lantern will warm you and some weather proof matches

a blue tarp 6x7 foot or close to it

magnesium fire starter

a radio a hand crank power type like a Kaito brand great quality and uses multiple power sources

and can charge a cell phone.

you never know where or why or when and what situation you will be in earthquakes everywhere

floods fires riots blizzards hurricanes sand storms tornadoes volcano / ash etc..

these storms can be anywhere can effect many states at once.

bridges and other infrastructure can be damaged and a direct route may not be available.

we are the first responders if it is wide spread emergency services may not reach you for hours or days

I like to be able to last a 7 day week this gives minimal food water but you can boil and treat your own

if need be money to buy tools to make fire and make a shelter radio to hear emergency information

light to move at night or find your way out.

butt naked survival kit

multitool, pak-lite extra 9 volt battery , ear bud mini radio AM FM and a couple of packs of

lifesaver candies and a stainless steel quart water bottle of water and water treatment

a few meds band aids and 25 + foot paracord and 2 carabiners and a bandanna a quart zip lock bag

in a pouch like a dump pouch and a military nylon belt 18 inches of rubber tubing for tourniquet straw

if mouth is injured make a sling shot hold the light on your wrist and a carpenters pencil cut in 2

and a pocket bible as your gonna' need GOD if this is all you have IMHO

Edited by juzcallmesnake

Thank you for the in depth response, all really great info. I guess the reason I am obsessing with a list is because I keep meaning to get started and then never do because I become a bit overwhelmed. If i get 10 concrete things for each list that I can just go out and get. At least I will have those 10 things rather than constantly just trying to figure out what I should get. This way I will have a base that I can start building on. Again, thank you for all the great responses!

Thank you for the in depth response, all really great info. I guess the reason I am obsessing with a list is because I keep meaning to get started and then never do because I become a bit overwhelmed. If i get 10 concrete things for each list that I can just go out and get. At least I will have those 10 things rather than constantly just trying to figure out what I should get. This way I will have a base that I can start building on. Again, thank you for all the great responses!

I'm with you on the overwhelmed part. lol. Then, once you get 10 things to buy, which ones do you get? lol. There's 1000 versions of everything and I try to do everything as cheap as I can, but sometimes cheap doesn't work. It's quite the challenge.

I'm with you on the overwhelmed part. lol. Then, once you get 10 things to buy, which ones do you get? lol. There's 1000 versions of everything and I try to do everything as cheap as I can, but sometimes cheap doesn't work. It's quite the challenge.

I am glad someone is going through the same thing I am. I think once I get the 10 things down I am going to hit amazon and read lots and lots of reviews and try to get good value items, if that is even possible.

The problem with getting started is, well, getting started. Not trying to be a wise guy here, but if you don't have a solid everyday carry knife, go down to ACE Hardware or Lowes or Wally world and buy a Swiss Army Knife that has a can opener on it. That is perhaps the single most important piece of survival gear you can own. Now you HAVE "gotten started" so everything else flows. The knife is first and most important. Almost everything else can be had IF you have a solid blade. That is not so overwhelming, is it? OK, next, fire. Go to anywhere (even most gas stations) and get a 4 pack (or is it 5?) of BIC lighters. Am I a big fan of BIC? Not especially but I have them for barter, they are a cheap, immediate, easily carried way to start a fire. Better will come later. Now get an Altoid's can, some cotton balls and some Vaseline petroleum jelly. Smear it on the cotton balls, pack the balls in the can and you have fire starters to go with the BIC. So far you've spent less than $20, got to eat the Altoid's, and started your preps. Add a dental floss container and you have string for securing things (and floss for everyday use). I use the stuff my dentist gives away after each visit so I don't even buy it. Get a small tube of aspirin or Tylenol, you always need analgesics before, during, and after TSHTF, wrap it with about 3 feet of duct tape and you have adhesive, emergency bandages, something to leave notes on; besides, MacGyver made it 7 seasons with not much more.

Pretty good start; add an emergency whistle (mine has compass (cheapie but shows north), magnifying glass (useful on its own and can start fire (second fire method), signal mirror (small but bright), and a thermometer) for about $5 and a space blanket for less than $10 and you have an excellent start for less than $40.

Oh, and you are now well past the "how do I begin" stage. Just my not so humble opinion.

Edited by Capt Bart

Start with a bag lol

For a BOB get an internal frame pack. Get something without camo. If you have to bug out you dont want to attract attention by looking military. At least i dont!

For EDC bag or ghb, get something that blends in with the crowd.

There are a million lists on the the top ten things to have in a BOB, and they are usually the same. In fact, the list on the main Survival Cache site is excellent. One thing that I carry in my bag is my Bible. Whatever faith you have, if you subscribe to a faith, you should embrace it and keep the "book" in your bag. I keep a pocket size Bible, that ways a few ounces at best, in my bag. Faith is one thing that can keep you going as much as anyting else.

Amateur and jkelly

in regard to prices and quality I did include the brands and please understand I get nothing

out of it and I do have these items and they are the same price as some Chines junk listed

on other sites

the Items

the Faraday flashlight is the best and costs 10 dollars more but is head and shoulders

above all the others I figure with the money I spent on the others and found them wanting

the cost was much more.

Nightstar sells other light only get the Faraday version / shake light

Pac-lite is the finest lightest and longest light producing light period and has 2 brightness settings

the highest setting give 80 hours the lowest 1,200 hours if your in a fallen building what good is a

light that only lasts 6 hours and uses cr 123 batteries that are the same price the people caught

in the L.A. quake sandwiched between the upper and lower deck of the freeway for days

everyone wants to light the whole field and it is never going to happen we adjust our

eyes to the amount of light but no mater how bright if not back lit it is still two dimensional.

I think most on these posts fail to remember that we are more like survivalist than just preppers

because we have no Idea of what may happen and the duration so considering this first we should

consider longevity.

weight is also a concern you cannot pack 60 to 80 pounds every day and not wear down in time

it is also very noticeable part of being Grey or low key is look normal not over packed

the Swiss army knife is without peer I like the explorer because it has a magnifier and scissors

just because of the removable tweezers and all the other tools

just this alone over the years has saved and helped climbers rescuers and adventurers alike

A multitool can have other virtues but they should be weight according to balance of the other

equipment.

the but naked survival kit is where everyone should start

add a candle in a large shoe polish can with 3 or 4 wicks will give heat

why the shoe polish can? because of a simple twist opener clip

when is so cold you cannot feel your fingers or your nails have been scraped

off clawing up a cliff or blistered try opening a regular can.

get caught in a elevator for a few hours or a traffic jam or broke down on the side of the road

and you won't be caught dead without it and a quart of water

One word about the bag, I agree with the advice about not wanting to look military but disagree with the bag not looking camo. Camo military yes, camo hunting no. I use the fieldline brand bags just because they are a good price and work well for me and they are camo for hunting which I think is good becuase if you need to hide it in the bush so others can't find it, it makes it easier...just don't forget where you hid it-)

Thank you for all the additional responses. I am heading out into the world today and I am going to start acquiring some of the items listed. I will report back with an update.

remember to make a list and stick to that list. dont impulse by jkelly. research the bigger ticketed items

before you buy. look for deals on the net too. dont forget to go to a couple dollar stores. great preps in those that ya wouldnt think about.

one thing i never see in anybodies bag is sunscreen. man i keep bullfrog with me in the warmer months.

do you realize the damage that can be done from a sun burn? all kinds of crap can come from it.

from sickness to total dehydration.

Yep, not a bad idea. Actually even in the winter time you can get it, though you're more covered then so its not much of an issue. I'll prolly add a small bottle when summer rolls around. Not much snow this winter so it hasn't been an issue.

I realize I'm new here, and not spun up on the accepted norms of thought and priority, but I'd like to throw in something if I may.

A Shemagh or something similar (could be improvised from a T-shirt cut open) can do a lot for you, from sun protection, to extra carry space, insulating layer, etc. A good knife, folding, fixed, big, small, doesn't really matter, just one your comfortable with, and know how to use. A method to start a fire, could be a fero rod, but for less bush crafty types I've always recommended a ziploc with a bic lighter, some water proof matches and a bottle of hand sanitized.

If you have those three basic things available you can scavenge most anything else you need in an urban environment. I'm not saying these are the only things you should ever have, but if you have these you can season the rest of your kit to taste.

I like to set my kits up with each one having a blade, a fire system, and a Shemagh like item, then build them from there. Now, a bit of flavor from my personal kits, I like to keep a light fabric, slightly oversize sport shirt in my kits, that goes to addressing sunburn initially, but there are a lot of other uses, too many to name.

I realize I'm new here, and not spun up on the accepted norms of thought and priority, but I'd like to throw in something if I may.

A Shemagh or something similar (could be improvised from a T-shirt cut open) can do a lot for you, from sun protection, to extra carry space, insulating layer, etc. A good knife, folding, fixed, big, small, doesn't really matter, just one your comfortable with, and know how to use. A method to start a fire, could be a fero rod, but for less bush crafty types I've always recommended a ziploc with a bic lighter, some water proof matches and a bottle of hand sanitized.

If you have those three basic things available you can scavenge most anything else you need in an urban environment. I'm not saying these are the only things you should ever have, but if you have these you can season the rest of your kit to taste.

I like to set my kits up with each one having a blade, a fire system, and a Shemagh like item, then build them from there. Now, a bit of flavor from my personal kits, I like to keep a light fabric, slightly oversize sport shirt in my kits, that goes to addressing sunburn initially, but there are a lot of other uses, too many to name.

I wouldn't worry too much about 'accepted norms' - we're fairly loose around here. About the only no-no is personal attacks on our posters. You can think I'm an idiot, just be polite in how you call me one!

I like your basic 3. My only modification would be to add a P-38 or P-51 can opener if you don't have one on your knife. One of the reasons I like a Swiss Army Knife as an "only" blade is that it has the can opener along with screw driver etc. associated with it. After all, MacGyver could not possibly be wrong.

I wouldn't worry too much about 'accepted norms' - we're fairly loose around here. About the only no-no is personal attacks on our posters. You can think I'm an idiot, just be polite in how you call me one!

I like your basic 3. My only modification would be to add a P-38 or P-51 can opener if you don't have one on your knife. One of the reasons I like a Swiss Army Knife as an "only" blade is that it has the can opener along with screw driver etc. associated with it. After all, MacGyver could not possibly be wrong.

lol, well said, however, and I know this is a bad idea, I've opened many a can with just a knife, but I tend to have knives with some horsepower, and realize that folks who prefer a simple two blade swiss army knife for example would risk destroying their knife doing that.

I agree that the swiss army knives trully are some of the best around, I also carry medium sized folder for larger jobs as well as a sheath knife in my bag. You can definetly find some good EDC preps at the local dollar store, I was able to procure several "dental hygiene kits" for the family gear, small ziploc pouch with a toothbrush, small toothpaste and a small floss box, not bad for a buck! I also picked up some baby wipes for quick bath on the go if necessary and some of those "flushable wipes" for those times when a little extra is nice. Besides the basics that everyone else has mentioned I thought a little extra hygiene could make all the difference in your overall morale in a stressful situation. I also picked up a few packs of coast guard survival ration bars and their prepackaged water pouches to throw in the bag as well. I have a collapsible platypus 32oz water bottle, takes up a tiny bit of space and light as a feather among the many other thing in my pack. If you can afford it, mini tools can be helpful too, small light but durable. Go to your local military surplus store if you have one and look around, you will be surprised at waht you c ould use or need thats cheap!