Sign in to follow this  
catfish hunter

My GHB

The weather was nasty today so I came in after feeding cows today. I had some time so I thought I'd post some pics of my GHB. It is probably closer to BOB contents for most people, but working on the ranch I spend most of my time in rural areas and my kit is geared that way. I keep it behind the seat in my diesel crew-cab truck that I use when pulling trailers or as my personal vehicle for trips and errands. I have a smaller kit in my older gas truck that I use more for work closer to home. The trucks have many other items in them, but this is what stays in the bag. If I was in an urban environment, or closer to home it would be different.

post-1747-13851497812402_thumb.jpg

post-1747-13851497810825_thumb.jpg

post-1747-13851497811216_thumb.jpg

post-1747-13851497811564_thumb.jpg

post-1747-13851497812022_thumb.jpg

Edited by catfish hunter

My computer locked up and I couldn't list the items. Some have changed since my last list, I changed it a little after taking everything out.

The first picture is my food, water & cooking kit, including: a Coleman nexting pot & bowl, 2 two serving mountain house meals, 3 oatmeal packets, 4 cliff bars, 10 tea bags, 2 hot chocolate packets, 4ft of aluminum foil, stainless water bottle, water purification tablets, and a Frontier water filter straw. I also have a bandana for pre-filtering water.

The second pick is my shelter & raingear, including: Adventure medical space blanket, Grabber 5x7 blanket/tarp, Coglan's tube tent, and a military poncho pre-rigged with tie lines. The tube tent is quick but terribly noisy in any wind and pretty flimsy. I used one once and wasn't to impressed. Still it is waterproof material and only weighs a pound so I left this one in the bag. If I'm in my crew cab and need the kit I may need shelter for several people.

The 3rd pic is an overview of everything. It shows my Walmart Fieldline bag, my freebie Agco coat (I wore it alot until the zipper stuck, fleece lined and really warm. Now it's a pull-over for the bag) Wool socks, thermal underwear, warm gloves, and there's a camo stocking cap that apparently missed the picture. Also my old 19" barrelled 20 gauge single shot I picked up cheap and a ziplock of mixed shells. Good for small game. It also shows my first aid kit (packets of: sunscreen, bug repellant, sting eze, poison ivy cleaner, cortisone, neosporin, gauze pads, vet wrap, quick clot, athletic tape) Also a pen sized pump bottle of 100% deet. A partial spool of 65lb power pro fishing line, hooks, a blank CD for signalling, contractor bags, 50ft of paracord, 70oz water bladder (in pack) and headlamp.

The 4th pic is my tools: Gerber hatchet 17" size, Sog Field pup knife, Gerber multi-tool, their sheaths, diamond stone, repair needle kit, snare kit, and fire kit (2 types of matches, firesteel, wetfire cubes, emergency candles, pill bottle of vaseline coated cotton balls with another ferrocium rod taped on, and bic lighter. The waterproof case for the fire kit is in the background. 5th pic is more of the same.

I weighed the pack after re-packing it. With everything but the shotgun it is 23lbs.

Edited by catfish hunter
added wt.

that is a great looking setup, and rick....I probably have just as much stuff in my GHB..at least its getting that way!

wow. see my GHB will soon be the maxpedition jumbo. i dont want or need a lot of stuff to get me home. i want the very bare minimum to be honest. living just north of ATL i dont want a bunch of stuff slowing me down from getting home. i figure at worse case, it might take me a whole day to get home from work, though its only 12 miles away from home. i dont travel very far from home. maybe a couple hours tops.

should that be the case, i wont need very much to get me home even if it takes a couple days.

being the line of work hunter is in and the ares he travels most, his bag is a special case situation i think. it will work for him and serve him well i hope. as for me, it just wont work.

Edited by ricksconnected

being the line of work hunter is in and the ares he travels most, his bag is a special case situation i think. it will work for him and serve him well i hope. as for me, it just wont work.

but see, here is the beauty of it all, what works for one can very well be the downfall for another.

no two bags will ever be alike because everybody has a different situation and idea as to what will get them home safe and sound. ya gotta love it cause this way everybody can learn a thing or two off of everybody else. even if they have only been doing this 1 week you can learn a lot from them just because their situation is so different than everybody elses. ya gotta love it.

I sure wouldn't have the same pack if I was going to a job in town and sitting at a desk all day. I'd have a small bag that wouldn't stick out or draw attention with just the basic survival necessities, handgun, and distraction devices like the sonic gernades. For my situation I like it. My Ford has enough room behind the seat that it fits nicely. If I ever need it to get home or hole up until someone finds me in normal times it's well stocked. If I am in a BOB needed situation it can re-supply my BOB bag or give it to a family member who doesn't have a bag. My sister isnt a believer in prepping but my brother-in-law is aware. He is a paramedic and MP in the guards, which makes him a valuable asset on two fronts. I could see the bag going to him if we had to move.

Edited by catfish hunter
didn't make sense last night