Sign in to follow this  
oregonchick

Choosing a BOL: Infrastructure worries, especially dam failures?

I live in the Willamette Valley, so nestled between the coast range on the west and the Cascades to the east, and not only does the Willamette River pass through my community, so does the McKenzie and literally dozens of rivers and creeks. In some ways, this could be ideal when choosing a BOL, since access to fresh/running water should be a consideration. But as recent flooding has shown, proximity to a river isn't always great.

I'm especially concerned with the possibility of a dam failure. The McKenzie River has at least a couple of substantial dams and has been "tinkered with" by the Army Corps of Engineers over the years, so that it's hard to determine where the river would actually flow should they be destroyed by an act of terrorism, a natural disaster (like earthquakes/volcanoes, which are a certainly consideration in the Cascades), or even gradual disrepair if there is no government or utility company maintaining them. I would hate for my arrival at my BOL to somehow wind up looking like the end of O Brother Where Art Thou... or to have to add scuba gear to my BOB so that I have a hope of retrieving previously secured supplies.

My question is: Are there any groups, government organizations, even insurance or actuarial associations that assess threats to dams, bridges, or other infrastructure? And do they offer any kind of worst case scenario predictions? I haven't found any as yet, but trying to find a good BOL that is close to but not threatened by water is turning out to be a somewhat daunting task.

Thanks for any pointers!

when i lived in Washington state i got a lot of information from my home insurance guy (Allstate). He had data on earthquake zones and even lava flow patterns in the area. They should have information on 100 year and 500 year flood plains. that may get you started in the right direction.

Makes sense that they would have good information like that. I'll check into it and see what I can come up with. Somehow I am not surprised to find that other people on this forum have already figured out ways to find information like this! :D

The map could also be invaluable if you're planning on stashing caches around your BOL, or in areas along the route (depending on what your bug out strategy and plans are). Might be smart to know this for your residence and worksite, too, so that if there is a major event where flooding is an issue, you can have pre-planned alternate routes to take you away from those areas that are likely to be underwater.

I didn't necessarily mean to mark the locations on the map; I meant to decide which locations to use. It might help you rule out some locations that may seem dry when you're on-site but are likely to be wet, muddy, or submerged if you come at a different time of year or after a major storm.