Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

the lansky system.

ok so i went and bought myself a knife sharpening system today.

ive heard a lot of great things about this kit over the yrs and have always wanted one but just didnt make the leap. well i did today. cant wait til my days off so i can get busy learning how to use this tool. anybody have any tips or tricks for the knife sharpening newbie?

Looks like a nice tool to have. After you get a chance to experiment with it, post a review. Im in the market for a good knife sharpener.

go ahead and get one honestly. i have seen knife after knife come out of these systems and they were all good cuts. it does take some practice im told, but its the system to have. i have several knives a friend of mine ran through this tool and i was impressed by his work. he did say "some" talent/practice required but it was mostly the quality of the tool in his opinion.

Hi Rick Lansky is a good kit I have one but I recently used a set a friend has the KME Knife Sharpening System And Im think of getting one little pricey but it is better than the lansky I need the clamp n guide cause I cant use a wet stone as well

ink,

what a loy of folks dont know is that the lansky system also has "stands" like the KME system has.

what i dont like about the KME is that the stones dont have a seperate holder. ya gotta take the stone out of the holder to switch grades. im thinking if it was to fall off and hit the floor, the stone would bust if it wasnt in the holder itself. the KME is a good system but its made directly from the lansky setup.

i havent used it yet but i will keep you posted tinder. i had a gift cert from christmas that i hadnt used and the opportunity came my way to get the tool, which made it free for me. yeah!

its a great system to be sure. i have had several knives put through this system by friends that own them. you really can get the kind of edge you want on just about any blade. one of my butterfly knives is now to dang sharp to play with lol, and its my fav knife too.

for the price i dont see the lansky system being beaten. there is a old guy at work that can give this system a run for its money using a couple select stones of his own. he says its a life long aquired skill that he has and it just cant be taught. in operation, you wont know the difference between his old grandad or a razor blade. its amazing to see honestly.

Sup Rick? As I'd said before, Lansky is what I used for years. You can't miss getting a

hair shaveing edge on a blade. When the edge starts to (roll or feather) work it down

lightly with the green one, then go to the blue one. The yellow or white stone I rarely use

because I use an old leather belt to strop it from there. When you can't see or feel the roll

on the edge, drag the blade backwards across your thumbnail. You can see where the rolled

edge picks up the nail. The finer the feather the sharper the blade. Then finish with the leather.

I use the 25 degree slot. Once you get a good 25 degree edge on a blade it's just a matter of

touching one up a little every now and then. Good luck. I believe you'll like it.

This is the one I have.

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Deluxe-Lansky-Sharpening-System-P102C18.aspx?UserID=22214236&SessionID=Lp9LujxeBg1rVxczU5ET

Edited by desert rat

what is the strope do?
It smooths that fine feathered edge down. Basically the same thing as

the white stone but you know what they say about "to much of a good thing"? I've actually had to re-sharpen

once because of the white stone. Maybe it was just me but I preffer the leather belt opposed to the white stone.

The strope is also is what barbers use to dress the final edge on their razors.

ok so why do they put sometimes a polish compoud on the strope?

is the strope something i need right now while learning to sharpen?

Dunno? I wasn't aware of that. Hmmm... I'll bet I ask my barber when I go in

for a haircut next time. Maybe someone else can enlighten the both of us before

I get to the barbershop....

For stropping a knife I'd recommend 8oz leather, rough side up, glued to a block of wood with some green compound. Quality straight razors are specifically designed to be sharpened on a flexible strop, which tend to actually round edges on conventional knife blades. Of course, imho, polishing the edge is a matter of personal taste, some prefer a toothy edge, or different edge types on different tools.

Sorry if my earlier post was a bit abrupt on the subject of stropping. As for the lansky system, a few observations after using both the traditional stone, and more recently the diamond sets.

The blade clamp seems to be hit or miss in how true the clamping surfaces are, leveling and squaring them can save you a lot of frustration when seeking the "crazy-stupid sharp" edge. Also, on blades with a nice finish using a bit of cotton cloth, or similar, can save on aesthetic damage. When using the ceramic, or white stone be gentle, light pressure if any pressure at all has always given me the best edges short of actually stropping. Also on the subject of the white stone, I run the stone along the length of the edge, I know, seems counter intuitive, but the technique has given me the best results, generally I give it two passes on one side, flip it over, two passes, repeat until it feels right.

I'm not an expert on the Lansky system, though I've sharpened hundreds if not a thousand or so blades on them, making a bit of extra money sharpening blades for other soldiers. Strange how they could afford $200 knives, but not an abrasive medium and a book on knife care. In any event, I'd be willing to talk to you about the nuts and bolts of it if you like.