Sign in to follow this  
Ruger92

Building BOB's?

Hey fella's just got a few questions.....i'm putting 2 BOB's together....one for me and one for my wife...the questins I have is .....what is tje shelflife of a Meal Ready To Eat (MRE) I spent 26 years in the army as a Cavarly Scout but never did hear that question ask......or would the old T- rations be better to pack for the 3 day food supply......I know from past experiences that you can make 1 MRE last a few days....been there and done that...

My second question is how lonh should you leave your extra ammo packed up before trading it out....I habe been told 6 months and I habe been told a year. I have 3 types in each BOB....9mm......223......and 12 gauge 00 buck...and what would u all recommend for the number of rounds of each ammo to be packed in the BOB's....just wanting to know if I'm on the track....in the army we always had a "A" bag and "B" bag......and you always kept your B bag at arms length.....

Thanks in advance in helping me anwser these questions and helping me and my family to be more perpared for that upcoming day or night when BOB is all you have to eaither make it or not make it

depends on the average temperature, 1 month at 120 degrees to 5 years, of average of 40 degrees, per https://www.readymeal.com/shelflifechart Theres a 4 digit number listed on the Box. The first digit is the year for instance 5314 would be 2005. the other numbers would be the day 314 day of 2005.

I see ammo all the time being sold that were manufactured in the 1980's\83's still in the original vacuumed packed can's. Whats the ratio from duds to successful firing's i dunno, i haven't bought one from malaysia or czech yet. A trick i've heard to keep your primers good, is take some finger nail polish and paint the primers. or jus buy Federal US issued Ammo thats already been done too.

I've fired ammo that I bought for my mother-in-law (no jokes about my intelligence level, please) when she was in Laredo, TX forty years ago. The entire box was solid. I've also fired .32 S&W ammo that gave me one weak round out of 250 rounds and I know the ammo was not well maintained. Temperature is one of the biggest factors in longevity for both food and ammo. If you keep it in your vehicle in places like Phoenix or Houston and park in the sun in the summer your ammo will see temps of 130 degrees F. That is especially critical for medicines. They may actually turn toxic so be careful there. MRE's are actually good past their expiration date but no guarantees on taste and nutrition values.

The big killer for food stuff after temperature is oxygen. Plastic is not an O2 barrier so even things like commercially packaged jerky will go bad. The other killer of ammo is actually oil more than moisture (Mr Smashy can probably give better advise here than me). If you put gun oil on your ammo you can actually get some oil into the round and that can effect the workings of both the primer and the powder. Over oiling a firearm is often worse than no oil at all so be careful. As my M14 instructor said in Boot Camp "A LIGHT, I SAID L.I.G.H.T. coat of LSA after cleaning, boots." Only thing, when he said "boots" it sounded like "DIPSTICKS" or something even less respectful. Oh, LSA = LUBRICANT, SMALL ARMS. The military always talks like that; if you wanted a zipper you didn't go to the "z" part of the catalog. You went to the "f" section. Why? Well what you really, really wanted was a "Fastener, Interlocking, Slide"! Sometimes I really miss the Army. (Othertimes, not so much:D )

I have a BOB for myself and the wife. I keep the ammo seperate. You have to take into consideration where you are bugging out to. I had friends that were in Katrina and were not allowed to leave. They had to bug in at a shelter. No weapons were allowed and all were confiscated. They sheltered for a day or two and returned home. They did not have any weapons to take, but in this case it would have been better to leave them at home. I doubt any confiscated weapons were returned to their rightful owners.

So I use a two layer system for each of us:

Mine is an Army Assault pack with rations/mess kit, shelter, tools etc. And a Butt pack attachment (no jokes here) for the 223 and 9mm (for my weapons)ammo. It can be attached/detached in a few seconds.

For her, I have a hydration packpack (cant remember brand... jar-something) with rations/mess kit, first aid, tools, cards, etc. I also have a old school fanny pack for her ammo. All .22 for pistol and rifle that she will carry.

There's always those emergency food bars, they range from 1200 to 3600 calories each (1 day to 3 day) and are about $5 for the 3 day one. They don't take up much space and have a shelf life of 5 years if unopened.

I almost always use old soviet mil surp for my Mosin Nagant (7.62x54r) and I've never had a single failure (out of the hundreds I've fired). Can't promise the same results for anyone, but they seem to keep an awful long time if they've been stored correctly. Some of the rounds I buy are old Czech loads that have a lacquered case. Maybe that helps them because they seem to be the most consistent of the 147gr bullets I use.

Hey 17 I also have a a molsin nagant myself bought it back a few months ago with the thoight. Of making it my primary bug out weapon....but after compaing the weight and length I think I will stay with my 223 ruger mini 14..but. If anyway possible I will take the moslon with me if I ever have to get out of dodge fast....it sits right next to my ruger....but I have to say it is a evil looking weapon....a according to what I have read on different sites it seems to have some real stopping power

I almost always use old soviet mil surp for my Mosin Nagant (7.62x54r) and I've never had a single failure (out of the hundreds I've fired).

Is there a makers name associated with it? I've found Wolf and Tiger to be pretty good. The stuff I had the most trouble with was Chinese. The only other drawback is I don't think they are easily reloadable. I've been looking at the Mosin for a while. I can get one for around $150 locally and it has a solid, war proven record as a hard hitting, straight shooting sniper rifle. I'm just trying to decide if I want to save for something I'd rather have. Can you give us a thumbnail description of how it shoots?

Ruger92,

If you've read the blog threads you know I'm no fan of .223 but that said, getting the Mosin to your BOL would sure fill in the 500 to 1000 yard gap as well as give you a solid hunting weapon. If you can pack the Mosin and carry the Mini-14 that might be a good combo. I'm looking at the Mini-30 myself but that is a different thread.

I am currently doing my prepping on a budget, and am facing this problem head on. My dual problem is building an adequate supply, and still being able to keep my skills up. this is forcing me to make some tough calls. Currently, I am focusing all my attention on .45, 9mm, and .223/5.56. I have other firearms that use 30-06, and 12ga, but these are taking the back burner right now. My eventual goal is to get my reloading equipment set up (difficult when you are renting) and begin reloading those calibers in earnest. Then I plan on putting them on stripper clips if they can, and putting them into ammo cans, with something to remove the moisture. I figure date all the ammo, and rotate it after say five years (if it last that long ;)). Food is another story. My wife has recently taken up canning, which is a great way to preserve food, and can be done with limited power, but the problem with that is obvious. Would you want to put a glass jar full of pears into your BOB? its great for a bug in, not so great on the move. I am still trying to figure this pickle out (and maybe that is a solution). Just my two cents.

I am currently doing my prepping on a budget, and am facing this problem head on. My dual problem is building an adequate supply, and still being able to keep my skills up. this is forcing me to make some tough calls. Currently, I am focusing all my attention on .45, 9mm, and .223/5.56. I have other firearms that use 30-06, and 12ga, but these are taking the back burner right now. My eventual goal is to get my reloading equipment set up (difficult when you are renting) and begin reloading those calibers in earnest. Then I plan on putting them on stripper clips if they can, and putting them into ammo cans, with something to remove the moisture. I figure date all the ammo, and rotate it after say five years (if it last that long ;)). Food is another story. My wife has recently taken up canning, which is a great way to preserve food, and can be done with limited power, but the problem with that is obvious. Would you want to put a glass jar full of pears into your BOB? its great for a bug in, not so great on the move. I am still trying to figure this pickle out (and maybe that is a solution). Just my two cents.

Mike,

Just a caution. If you are reloading in an apartment, make sure you do it on a tile floor. Interesting things happen if you get gun powder into the carpet and then run a vacuum cleaner over it. Strange and anomalous booms in your ladies vacuum will not endear you to her.

As to food, you might consider dehydrating some for travel - jerky is good survival food.

I do not have one but have shot my share of them.

the Mosin 7.62x54R is equal to the 30-06 in power level

and is a fine round it only failing is ammo for now it is easy to get and prices are good

but these things change.

berdan primed means the anvil is made into the case it has 2 dual flash holes

boxer primed cases have 1 hole and the primer has the anvil in it

boxer primed brass cases can be reloaded full power 8 to 10 times or more

low power lead bullet loads even more bit having a broken shell extractor you can get

the remainder of the case out i keep mine in the butt stock always with me.

A lee hand loading kit comes in a box about 1x4 x5 inches in size and a plastic mallet

" unique" powder, 1K primers lee tumble lube small tube a box of gas 30 cal checks

and a double lead bullet mold #90366 and a small cast iron pot or ladle size scratch an L into

the inside bottom so you never use a pot pan whatever that you have melted lead for food ever!

and some wheel weights and you are in business.

look this up for yourself reloading is dangerous and never take anyone's word check and re check!

my lyman manual states lead load is 12 to15 grains APP of unique powder and a 150 APP grain bullet

velocity is 1,600 to 1,800 feet per second FPS 1 pound of powder 500 to 700 loads

you can slug your barrel to see what the diameter is they run from .308 to .312

a lead .308 bullet is generally .309 diameter i have used cigarette rolling rice paper {thinner}

on the bullet to tighten it up to bore size need to mic' it but it works good.

cover paper off tampons works too yea I'am a red neck I will make it work LOL

the cases need to be checked for internal gas cutting or case head separation

this is done with a metal dental pic that will go inside and slide the sharp point against the inside

feeling for a ridge this means the case is about to crack in this area

your really do not have to clean or polish your cases it just makes them look nice.

you can anneal the necks with torch look this up it not complicated but it is interesting helps keep

your case necks from splitting and they last a bit longer..

danger danger but I have seen it done

old trick eject the shell poke out the primer put in a new one add powder push the bullet in or tap in make sure

the primer is not getting hit set it to length and you got a bullet I have seen the bullet started and bolted in to

the weapon to seat the bullet in the jungle a mans got to do what a mans got to do ;=}

in the musket days the ball was undersized in a smooth bore in battle they would pour in the charge drop the ball

tap the butt stock on the ground to seat the bullet prime the pan on a flint lock

or place the cap on the nipple level and fire

{do not aim down} ball might roll out enough to cause a breach obstruction and kaboom split barrel...

the cloth patch was to make a better seal and more accurate shot

this heel tap is dangerous but in battle a single shot musket was a club unless loaded

you use to be able to find a .32 cal black powder rifle I loved mine at 50 yards you could take the head off a squirrel

pure lead would flatten like a pancake it was dirt cheap to shoot and all that smoke and boom was a hoot as a kid.

I have not played with black powder guns since I was in short pants I always wondered why the black powder

makers have not built a .22 cal round ball and minne' bullet rifle every one says you need to think outside the box

but no one ever does bunch of college educated dumb sh*ts could not pull their thumb out of their arse if they only

had one arm and their pecker was on fire.

Edited by juzcallmesnake

i have left shotgun shells in the tool box of a truck for as long as 5 years.

gets to be over 100 here and winter temps stay under 40 most of winter with 15-20 days of hard freeze and a few snow days.

those shells shoot just fine out of my over under. have not tried them in an auto.

First, and most important, Merry Christmas everyone! I've been a member of this forum for only a couple of weeks now, and I have to say that I am truly blessed to have found you guys (and girls). I'm very new to all of this but I am learning. The wife doesn't "get it" yet and I'm not sure that she ever will but I've already let her know what I'm doing for US and what gear she is going to have to carry. LoL. Any assit in that area (spouse support and understanding) is appreciated.

My first task here was to compile a complete list of items in all the different BOBs that are in the contest. It's a long list, but I have systematically begun procurement of the more basic items. I'm breaking in some hiking boots, got my main backpack with a smaller (GHB) on order. I sold my AK and now own a more versatile survival weapon. Not bad for a couple of weeks worth of work but a long way to go. With ya'lls help, I'll get there. Many thanks to all of you.

Mike

no problems mike. glad your getting your preps together.

as for the wife, work her slowly as im doing mine. before you know it you will be gaining ground with her on this.

This is true. The key as is not to push anything onto to her, let her go at he r own pace and don't overwhlem her with details and things she is not currently interested in.

Welcome Mike, glad to have you hear and good luck getting everything together, trial and error is fun!

mine too to some degree. ive just been reading her news reports from around the world,

and getting her ready to do some camping this season. every once in a while i ask her questions

of the "what would you do if....." type nature. its working. keeps her thinking.

Snake, you can still get the 32 cal muzzleloaders. They are a blast and very effective for small game. They do make a 22 cal muzzleloader but it's in the form of a "pepperbox". I'm not sure of any molds for the round ball though. I imagine if one is out there, Dixie Gun Works will have it.