Sign in to follow this  
inkspotdw

Fuel in vehicle how much do u have?

I have enough fuel on hand for two fill ups for both vehicles at the house, on each of the three trailers, and at the Cache sites and two 5 gallon cans each in each of the vehicles and twenty gallons of stabalized JP8 for the multi fuel stoves or the vehicles at the house and on the trailers working on the cache's as well 4 20 lb propane tanks for all the above currently about halfway there had to put it on hold till after tax season.

What I want to keep & what my wife leaves in the car are 2 different things. We have a Jeep Cherokee (holds 17.5 gals) It doesn't get great mileage due to modifications. For me, when it dips below 1/2, I'm filling up. If my wife drives it often, I'll hop in & the light's on. It kills me.

Aside from the inconveniance, consider this.....Almost every fuel injected vehicle has a fuel pump in the tank. That pump is liquid cooled. It needs fuel around it to cool itself & be happy. When the tank is continually run low, you're running that pump out of it's cooling media. Thus, shortening the life of that pump.

I built a 40 gallon reserve tank for the diesel truck I drive that gravity feeds into the stock tank, puts me up to 66 gallons total capacity. My old truck that Dad uses has a 51 gallon aluminum reserve tank/toolbox plus the 26 gallon stock tank for 77 total gallons. Those would be our BOV's if we needed them. I re-fuel my truck when the reserve tank goes empty and I start into the stock tank, usually while it's between full and 3/4 full. We have an offroad diesel tank on the place for the tractors, if I was bugging out I'd top everything off there and then fill the 12 5 gallon fuel cans we have around. I wouldn't be concerned about running offroad diesel at that point.

I also stocked up on enough antigel and algea treatment to treat our tank if the fuel truck stops coming out.

When the needle on the gauge is in the middle, is the tank half full or half empty?

Sorry, philosophy is on another thread.

I preach the standard "a half tank is an empty" to family and friends. I have had 2 experiences with large-scale power outages and fuel delivery problems.

I was amazed at the shock expressed by people during/after Hurricane Sandy that there was no gas. How many NY'ers think it must come from the Fuel Fairy? The problem became the thieves and cheats that emerged to steal gas or cut in waiting lines at the gas stations. It should serves as a reminder to us just how fast it can all devolve.

I think the moral here is that if you consider 1/2 as empty, then on those occasions where you MUST drive it past 1/2, you will be prepared. I also use the 1/2 mark to start recycling my stored fuel. Yes, I also keep 50 gallons stabilized in cans, properly stored and I do try to rotate at least every 12 months or less. Sometimes it goes to 14 months just because I get busy.

SteveHK,

I know diesel stores longer than even stabilized gas; may I ask how often you rotate your stock? That much fuel is a great reserve but I think I, personally, would have trouble keeping a proper rotation going on that much.

I keep my work vehicle full-up, my personal vehicle I don't let run below half (unless the girlfriend borrows it) and there is no telling where the girlfriend's car usually is. 1/2 a tank in my personal car will get me about 200 miles in decent driving conditions. 200 miles would get me out of the state either North or South running, and get me to the mountains or the coast.

I miss read and thought "wow 300 gallons jerry cans is a lot of can" then i realized its litres and still think that is many jerry cans, just not as high.

Rotating it really is not a problem at all.

300 litres = 12 jerry cans (25 liters each).

I have an 82 litre tank on the Land Rover. So, if I run it just under half a tank and then take the two oldest Jerrys and fill the Landy with those, I then fill the two empty Jerrs and place them at the fresh fuel end of the Jerry can line-up it makes the oldest fuel no more than 6-7 weeks old. Simples ;)