Sign in to follow this  
inkspotdw

Fuel in vehicle how much do u have?

As for me it seams my tank is always on empty which ain't to smart if I had bug out were I live if you don't get out of the city limits fast you could stuck in traffic for days LOL now that i'm preparing to bug out Im trying to keep at least a half a tank in my vehicle and got a 5gal Jerry can in the shed just in case I procrastinate with keeping enough fuel in car thought I would put this up to make you think about it

half a tank should be minimum during the winter. I don't know how much you travel, but if you get stranded, you'll need the fuel to keep the engine running for heat. Remember, gasoline doesn't store very well and needs to have an additive like "Stabil" added for long term storage.

I try to top off when I get to 75% full. Doesn't always happen, but more often than not. Especially in the winter, I may have to stop at the gas station more often, but I'm not standing out in the cold as long. I've got a 31 gal tank, so topping off is better than the stroke/rear ending I get if I have to do a complete fill up.

I keep several jerry cans full. I cycle through them fairly fast in the warmer months (run the machines in my side business) and add Stabil to what's left at the end of the season. I've used untreated gas as old as 1.5 years in small engines with no ill effect, but certainly wouldn't make a practice of it, or try in your BOV.

If I get in a vehicle and it has less than half a tank I silently gruff to myself and sigh. It is one of my pet peeves. I don't let it go below half unless I have a damn good reason. I have an extra ten gallons stored in the garage that swap every six months, use it in the yard machines and then in my vehicles.

Goal is to maintain .75 a tank. Never below .5 a tank.

If you have a BOL that requires travel by vehicle i would estimate number of gallons that it takes to get there and multiple by 3. that leaves room for massive traffic jams and alternate routes.

you can also store fuel in jerry cans and rotate monthly. This way you can increase your gallons on hand if the need arise.

Our goal here is to have at least half a tank, but when I read this earlier today, I must admit, my fuel light was on. It is full now.
Good i posted this to make people think about it I for one need to keep up on it like in my previous post were I live if you don't get out fast you could be in traffic for miles and Iv read letting your car idle for 1 min = 1 mile and here in NJ sometimes 10 miles could take you 30 to 45 mins Edited by inkspotdw
spelling

I start looking for a fill at about 3/4 of a tank, 1/2 a tank I consider empty. Only modification is on a long trip I'll let it get as low as 1/4 IF AND ONLY IF I know there is a refuel stop before it goes below 1/4. I've thought of 1/2 as empty for so long, I've been known to say "we're half full" when it is 3/4!

My dad's airplane had the lower 1/4 of each tank red inked over and labeled "NO TAKEOFF". If I landed and the gauges were in the red, I was grounded (literally) for a month! I was very careful about gas as a 16 year old.

I start looking for a fill at about 3/4 of a tank, 1/2 a tank I consider empty. Only modification is on a long trip I'll let it get as low as 1/4 IF AND ONLY IF I know there is a refuel stop before it goes below 1/4. I've thought of 1/2 as empty for so long, I've been known to say "we're half full" when it is 3/4!

My dad's airplane had the lower 1/4 of each tank red inked over and labeled "NO TAKEOFF". If I landed and the gauges were in the red, I was grounded (literally) for a month! I was very careful about gas as a 16 year old.

its a bad habit i have and by bringing it up hope to break it

Same here 1/2 tank is empty to my mind

also keep 2 to 3 5 gallon cans with stabilizer in the shop as I can use that in a summer in the

yard equipment and it's a good bug out stash if you got to go how far and is the traffic crawling

do you have radiator water drinking water food bug out bag BOB I think you see what we / I am getting at

Can't afford to let the tank in my truck go any lower than half, any less and I have to go to the bank for a short term loan.

I do keep 20 gallons of treated gas stashed (lesson from Rita), and if it came down to it, I could also drain the car (also kept as full as possible) for an additional 19 gallons.

Always use the half tank rule here for all the vehicles.

Have tried to stress this to the kids to do the same.

The kids aren't kids anymore but I make this point to them because

they're approx. 60 miles away and they're aware of my SHTF rule.

If the SHTF get here! If you're not here in 36hrs stay put, I'm coming for you.

If I haven't shown up in 72hrs, you're on your own. I hate the city!

Like most here, I consider my vehicle near empty when it hits the halfway point. Just in case I mess up and forget to fill it, I have quite a few five gallon containers in the garage. And yes, I have put conditioner in the gas and rotate my stock. I realize gas – especially today’s blends – have a short lifespan.

four vehicles in the family fleet. each is refueled at 1/2 a tank. the two bovs will travel 225 miles at half a tank. garage has 5- 5 gallon jerry cans. so 25 gallons in reserve. once a month the jerry cans are emptied in vehicles and fresh gas is placed back into jerry cans. I also have two project vehicles. probably 20 gallons there but it is a last resort.

Can anyone recommend a GOOD fuel storage container in increments other than 2-3 gallons? Metal, plastic, ....? There was a discussion either here or at another forum I frequent surrounding a portable 13 or so gallon, plastic container with wheels and a spout. In theory, and for the price, it's awesome. I found out about this a few months before I found that thread and got excited, but as usual I did my research. It's junk in almost every respect, and that's why it's cheap.

Scepter Military fuel cans they are tough enough to drive a 5 ton truck over a full one and it will not leak or burst, reliable 10X faster than than the walmart special do not leak even when filled with gasoline that has heated and pressurized and they store fuel exceedingly well. The problem is getting them as they are banned for sale in the US since the do not have a vapor recovery system, they are $150.00 on ebay you can pick them up around military installations when the fall off equipment or convoys or get them from soldiers who pick them up the only other option is to go to Canada to get them for $56.00 dollars a can http://www.dstactical.com/index.php?cPath=16_55&sort=3a&products_id=60 l;ets just say I have more than a few