Sign in to follow this  
shadowplyr

hand gun questions

I own Both.

A wheel gun never jambs.

Yes I enjoy the advantage having 9 in a clip.

A wheel gun never jambs? I carried a Mod. 15 on duty for about 12 years and also used the same gun in competition. One time while shooting a match the ejection rod backed out two turns making it not possible to eject the spent rounds and turning my favorite weapon into my favorite brick. After a brief time out which took me out of the match, the problem was solved. No big deal. However, had I been in a firefight (fill in the blank). Over all though, I agree with your assessment.

When the department allowed us to use autos. I switched to a Sig P220 .45acp. not because I wanted an auto but because I wanted the .45 round and also faster reload.

Tom,

I have both, I use both. Each has a role. I'm alive because a 1911 worked when my M16 didn't. The difference is in the manual of arms. Either with proper maintenance and good ammo should work flawlessly. The problem is there are more ways to misfeed, jam, stovepipe or otherwise malfunction a pistol than a revolver. It is a lot easier to get a finger in front of the barrel on a pistol while clearing than a revolver. A revolver will function with any round of the proper caliber. A pistol may not feed a particular round. I will NOT use a self defense round that I have not verified will feed properly. Not so big a concern for the revolver.

My own opinion, if I understand your meaning, is that if you clear a squib round by firing the next round I'd say you have been very, very lucky and I would NOT recommend that procedure at any place, any time, any conditions unless it was the ONLY way to save my life. Limp wrist a pistol and it stovepipes; limp wrist a revolver and it still goes bang. I have a bit of a problem with the "combat reload". Why take a gun that has functioned successfully (you're still alive) so far and introduce an unknown factor (the new mag)? Are you just throwing away the not yet empty mag or are you taking time to properly stow it so you can use the last few rounds if you need them? Just me, perhaps, but I do not like that tactic.

My opinion is that it takes less formal training to effectively and safely use a revolver than to effectively and safely use a pistol. Look at most shootings and it is close and less than 5 rounds. The training required for the two different guns is different. I carry a pistol most of the time but I still do not think that my weak side, one handed clearing drill is good enough. I do not have the weak side concern with a pistol. Right tool for the correct job, of course. Pistol for concealed carry; revolver for the tall and uncut for safety reasons.

Carry what you are most comfortable with and what you can handle best but don't overlook the weaknesses in what ever the tool you decide to use.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Edited by Capt Bart

Capt Bart,

I agree to an extent, but a lot of the more modern offerings in autos have drastically limited the possibilities for failure. And a good rule to use when working with an auto is always handle it from the back with your finger off the trigger, your fingers will thank you.

As for doubling up on a squib, the Beretta 92 FS was intentional in the middle of the hot and heavy, not a lot of options aside from throwing it. The Glock 22's were unintentional at a timed house clearing event where ammunition was provided by the organization holding the competition. Incidentally they ended up paying for me and three other guys to get our guns looked over by a gunsmith, my glock came out fine, one of the other guys 1911 had taken some frame damage. Unsafe? Yes. Can it become a necessity? Yes. Do I recommend someone do it for fun? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

As for limp wristing an auto, I've tested that out on most of the auto's I've ever owned. The only ones that seemed to have a problem with it were polymer framed guns. My Glocks in particular. On my Beretta and the CZ-75 I used to own it was never an issue, although I was able to get a PT-1911 to fail it's extraction stage unreliably by limp wristing. These are of course just my experiences with that particular problem.

As for "combat reloads" (I don't actually like that term, but it is the standard) there are times and places to use it. Having only three rounds, out of a possible 16, while clearing the next room is a liability. Being able to top off your in weapon ammo while still being able to fire off one round if interrupted is handy. As an example simply, this is not the only situation when it can be a useful method, and it can be used with magazine fed rifles as well.

As far as safely and effectively using an auto as opposed to a revolver I disagree. put the magazine in, rock the slide, turn the safety (If it has one), point and squeeze. That's really all it takes, safety is pretty much the same in the broad strokes. Don't point it at something you don't want destroyed, including your fingers and feet.

I do agree however, carry what work well for you. I know guys who carry .44 mags concealed, and I carry an auto in predator country. I don't think either method is necessarily wrong, just different. My concern is that people new to the shooting world, especially for CC purposes where the major concern is going to be more along the lines of anti-personel techniques get the "Just get a revolver, they're so much better" line, when it not that cut and dry.

Edited by Vicioustom

I am of the mind set it's all good if it's all you got

I can shoot with either hand revolver or semi auto any caliber the S&W .500 is a bit hard to two gun

and when asked about a firearm it only depends on experience and who ever else will have to use it.

a revolver any one in a few minutes can operate one old or young weak or strong.

but I will use anything to my advantage single shot or other wise.

I think some have forgotten HKS speed loaders and they make them for 9 shot 22's

many do not have money for things and are keeping what they have and I sometimes forget it

so it does not matter as long as you have a way to defend your self carry on just have enough ammo

and how much is enough thats up to you and your pocket book.

Revolvers are no longer just "six shooters" any more. Both Taurus and Smith & Wesson make 7 and 8 shot 357 magnums and hae done so for several years. I own a Taurus Tracker 7 shot 357 and carry it quite often when I go prospecting in temountains.

so it does not matter as long as you have a way to defend your self carry on just have enough ammo

and how much is enough thats up to you and your pocket book.

Very true words snake. Guns are important but you really need to stockpile ammo.

One other point on the revolver vs. pistol discussion is the "maintenance" involved. My wife had zero experience with weapons when we met. I got her started shooting and now she is actually quite good. I like to keep a loaded FNH in a bedside holster (http://www.amazon.com/BRAND-NOT-SPECIFIED-Bed-Holster/dp/B002FHAL0K/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_2 ). Once a week I empty and reload into a new magazine. I also do this with my CC weapon. My wife likes the idea of having a loaded weapon on her side of the bed as well if I'm gone, but doesn't like the "maintenance" involved of reloading new magazines. She prefers a .38 revolver. I'm just glad she's gotten to the point of feeling comfortable around weapons.

We don't have young children in the house, so little hands aren't a concern for the bedside holster.

Anyway, just another dimension to consider when looking at the purpose of the weapon and the user.

You know Bootstrap, I keep hearing the whole "cycle you mags" thing, and honestly I have yet to see that become a problem. I've had magazines that were loaded for years at a time that functioned just fine when finally fired. In my experiences with modern quality magazines I've found that to be a myth. With that said, I did have a couple of poorly made AK mags that did lose tension after a couple of months, but their higher quality counterparts had no such issues.

I've only had it happen to me once, and it was not exactly when you wanted to see it happen. I was in Iraq and had some of my magazines loaded for a few months straight with 28 rounds. I decided to be a good little soldier and cycle the magazines. Sure enough, after unloading about 6 or 8 rounds the magazine quit feeding them to me. It only took a bump on the bottom of the magazine for it to pop up and feed again, and had I been actually firing the weapon at the time, the recoil probably would have been enough to keep it feeding, but when I saw the failure to feed, my heart skipped a beat with the "What if....." thought. That was one of those moments I don't care to repeat, so now I'm an avid magazine cycler.

I've only had it happen to me once, and it was not exactly when you wanted to see it happen. I was in Iraq and had some of my magazines loaded for a few months straight with 28 rounds. I decided to be a good little soldier and cycle the magazines. Sure enough, after unloading about 6 or 8 rounds the magazine quit feeding them to me. It only took a bump on the bottom of the magazine for it to pop up and feed again, and had I been actually firing the weapon at the time, the recoil probably would have been enough to keep it feeding, but when I saw the failure to feed, my heart skipped a beat with the "What if....." thought. That was one of those moments I don't care to repeat, so now I'm an avid magazine cycler.

I've been to the sandbox myself and been confronted with this exact issue. In all the cases i was privy too it was from the moon dust and sand accumulating on the internal walls of the magazine and gumming it up(I told the kids not to put oil inside their mags as it would accelerate the accumulation of dust). It was corrected by disassembling and wiping the insides down.

From my experiences it's not the constant tension that wears on the springs, it's repeated tension and release. You see that a lot in military mags, that's why I maintain a stock of new in package mags, just in case they send me back to the sandbox.

If you have a magazine fed firearm that you don't use very often I'd invite you to test it yourself, load up a mag to capacity and forget about it for a year or so, then take it out and fire it.

load up a mag to capacity and forget about it for a year or so

Holy crap VT, are you trying to put me into an anxiety induced seizure? If I took your suggestion I would lie awake every night and hear my wittle wovely magazine under duress calling my name softly over and over and over and over....until I was such a nervous wreck I spun out of control in seizure. UGH!!! The humanity!!!!

Where do you other preppers vote on the "to rotate or not to rotate" magazines issue? Maybe I'm out of date and old fashioned. It wouldn't be the first time.

Edited by bootstrap

I have pistol mags that I have had loaded at full cap for over a year and never had an issue. I've only had one bad spring in my time and it wasn't a mag I kept loaded, so was just a fluke... think it was 3d time I'd actually loaded it.

I agree with the dust VT was talking about. Most mags I've seen quit feeding were from dirt/dust than a spring issue. While deployed, I ended up with "extra" ammo and kept all my mags loaded. I just broke them down every couple weeks to wipe them clean.

let me in this hoopla

remember the beatles "let it be" I have done both.

dust and grit can clusterfork a mag just when you need it also these NEW followers are not that

much better than the old ones.

with so many different gun makers and different makers of magazines I believe we should not store

magazines full or for long as what if I give this advice and the magazine is from an inferior source

all my mags a factory I learned my lesson a long time ago and I do not keep them full 75%

tactical reloading in my edge I never have less than 3 one in and 2 in hand.

I mean that literally an occasion where I was "commando" and all I had was 2 mags and my sidearm

I check my revolver rounds I have had to knock out rounds from a few cops that were stuck

from rust and verdigris as they were office Jockeys and only wore the pistol to and from work.

if you heard of it I have seen it shells in backward 9MM in a {9MM kurz .380}

38 special box of shells to test fire a 38 super they thought they were the same and other way round

20ga in a 12ga and BOOM 38 colt fired in a 38 spl

NEVER take anything for granted or expect that the person your talking has any idea what you mean

they will stand there like a hypnotized chicken head going up and down for a few reasons

1 they think they understood what you said.

2 they know what you said but when it came time they questioned themselves and got it wrong.

3 they were not wanting to embarrass themselves asking what they thought was a silly question.

4 they have the I.Q. of a billiard ball

5 any one in tandem with any or all of the above.

I know folks that have old firearms {before 1950} they do not have safeties that we all speak of

the metallurgy was not as sophisticated as it is today and some are inexpensive knock offs

I have had people tell me "It's a 38 smith & wesson} yes that was the caliber but the gun was an RG

have had people correct me about "semi" auto because after saying it all day you get to saying auto

just for brevity by some PUNK and I have been shooting and fixing guns since I was potty trained.

my first repair was adding a ram rod to a single shot 22 because there were no parts to be found

so i drilled a hole into the fore end and added a ram rod to knock the old shell I never found an extractor

for it.

so really there is no right answer all can jam and all can break and magazines and pistols left

in leather holsters can blossom rust as leather is tanned with an acidic formula and in the

presence of humidity and heat will cause any number of metallic reactions.

some oils are not meant for firearms after years they turn to varnish and jam or slow the action

I have seen cosmoline turn to tar and the firing pin would not move.

I am surprised that more people are not maimed and killed cockroaches in the barrel spiders

mud dobbers wrong ammo caked oil and leaded barrels so much you could not see lands or grooves

in the rifling grease in the barrel for winterizing after season broken firing pin stuck OUT should a person

drop the bolt or jamb it into battery a out of battery detonation NOT GOOD!

Some firearms are dangerous period even when they were new +P ammo weeded them out but they

are still around some black hills ammo i a cheap old gun and you will be wearing your rings around

your neck on a chain.

"If you don't pull your head out of your azz the undertaker will be sewing it back on' {my fathers quote}

OK here is my .02 worth on this mag subject. I carry a 9mm Sig on my job with a mag inserted and a round in the tube and 2 more mags on my duty belt. Our firearms instructor has told us that on our days off we need to unload all the mags to releive the tenison of the springs. If he would ask me if I do that, I would tell him yes, just to keep him off my ass, do I really do that, the anwser is no I don't. We are required to qualify once a year with our weapons and we fire the standard FBI and ICE qualification course. I have had this weapon and the same mags for close to 5 years now, and I have never had a malfunction or a stovepipe while firing for qualification.

When off duty I carry a Remington R1 45, with a mag in and one in the pipe and 2 extra mags on my belt, and the same goes as with the Sig I carry at work. While in the army and having the vehicle combat loaded at all times we have rolled up the individual weapons qualification range, dis-mounted loaded or small arm weapons, ie 9mm, m4, and so on and fired for qualification again no problems and some of the mags have been loaded for years.

So I guess I would say, it to each his own and the mag issue.

I realize that revolvers have gotten like aretha franklin bigger and uglier

that is not my point and it does not matter 1 or 2 rounds may or may not make the difference

anyone who has ever been in a good lead slinging knows it is not the one you see it is the one you don't

and any battlefield forensic will show rifles and pistols with ammo still in them.

so the old fire em' all as you go down is a myth born in hollywierd.

and yes it did happen and does happen that battles and shoot outs are analysed.

and NO we never learn from others mistakes or incidents we still need to log and present them

I just want the azz who say's "once we learn what happened we can preventing it from happening again

NOT never happen stupid is only a deadly disease after it manifests to late for prevention..

and any one in the military ought to know clean your weapon keep it clean

and that includes anything attached to or hanging on it well maybe the

NEW military may not but if no one learned from VN or leave the bayonet

in the sheath till it rusts and magazines until they are packed like concrete go ahead it ain't may butt on the line.

Edited by juzcallmesnake

Personally I believe adults should be responsible enough to choose whatever handgun/s float their personal boat. Yes, I started out on rvolvers, still love ,em a lot, but I am still in "love" with my favorite pistols as well. My personal situation now allows me to choose WHICH hand gun/s I have access to or carry legally for which particular situation. There are scads of quality

fireafms out there that one can choose from. A hit from any of them always trumps a miss from the latest ninja-death-ray-

super-dooper-marketing-ploy. Pick what works best for YOU, and don't worry about what the world thinks. ( they don't like gun owners anyway)

You know all of these choices of guns etc. I view with a sense of amusement. Of course, while I understand very well the different legal constraints which some of our citizens live under as far as handgun ownership goes. I believe that answering these type of questions makes people think. But if it comes to a SHTF scenario, how many of you will be concerned with the legalities of hand gun possession. Or any other type of weapon possession. When it comes down to it you work with what you have and if you are not proficient at this time....well, you may want to practice with what you have.

OK here is my .02 worth on this mag subject. I carry a 9mm Sig on my job with a mag inserted and a round in the tube and 2 more mags on my duty belt. Our firearms instructor has told us that on our days off we need to unload all the mags to releive the tenison of the springs. If he would ask me if I do that, I would tell him yes, just to keep him off my ass, do I really do that, the anwser is no I don't. We are required to qualify once a year with our weapons and we fire the standard FBI and ICE qualification course. I have had this weapon and the same mags for close to 5 years now, and I have never had a malfunction or a stovepipe while firing for qualification.

When off duty I carry a Remington R1 45, with a mag in and one in the pipe and 2 extra mags on my belt, and the same goes as with the Sig I carry at work. While in the army and having the vehicle combat loaded at all times we have rolled up the individual weapons qualification range, dis-mounted loaded or small arm weapons, ie 9mm, m4, and so on and fired for qualification again no problems and some of the mags have been loaded for years.

So I guess I would say, it to each his own and the mag issue.

R92,

Ditto. Same in my S/O. Same on leaving my P220 mags loaded. The only time that I unload them is at the range, out the tube.

I used to (back when Sam Colt was in nickers) unload all my mags, rotate them and so on. Then I purchased a 1911 that a cop had carried for 25 years; it came with his spare magazine. He loaded it, locked and cocked for those 25 years. The main spring in the 1911 was replaced and an action job done because I wanted it that way. The mag in the grip, one less than full, was fine. The one that had been full for 25 years seemed a little weak. I don't know if the mag was additionally softer or if it had picked up a set. I did keep the original mags for backups and they work. I got new mags for carry and kept them down one round for long term. Some years back I had a Colt rep tell me that the new metals are just fine, full up forever. I believed him and have not had a problem is about five years.

I lock and cock, drop the mag, put the full mag in the gun, add one to the mag I dropped and carry everything full. I've never had a problem with either mag.

It may be better steel or just something "everyone" knew at the time that kept us play with the mags. I've got spares but I've not had a problem with mine. I don't keep my long guns stored loaded so that isn't an issue and a double doesn't have a spring problem.

Of course, neither do revolvers.

I have 3 XDm mags right now. 2 are loaded with JHP, one is in the gun in my safe. The third I use at the range. I rotated once just for fun to get them all worn in a bit. In fact, I need to rotate again. LOL.

I rotate to use them. Not to rotate the ammo. I look at it more like the take turns going bang.

I agree w/2how for your first handgun, I would go with a revolver. You are far less likely to have misfires to to improper handling with a semi auto. If you have experience firing a semi auto, then were back to your original question and I would have to say, as a retired police officer, I am not only a fan of the Glock, but of the 40 S&W round. I have seen a 9mm round not penetrate a leather jacket. had I not seen it, I wouldn't have believed it. Granted it was not a defensive round, but still, Im just saying. No offense intended to fans of the 9mm.

that doesn't really surprise me, I've seen poor quality ammo do similar things, like a .38 super ricochet off of a bowling pin and come back to whack another shooter on the line(not a serious injury but he had a pretty good knot on his shin). Even saw a .44 mag get lodged half in half out on the facing side of a 1x1 at 15ish meters.

I think a lot of the bad rap the 9mm gets for stopping is from poor ammunition choice. Alternatively I think the .45acp gets an equally bad rap for accuracy for a combination of bad ammo choice and the prevalence of shot out barrels from the days when it was in service with the military.

I hear you about the .40S&W, it is a wonderfully performing cartridge. I kinda miss my Glock mod. 22 sometimes.

that doesn't really surprise me, I've seen poor quality ammo do similar things, like a .38 super ricochet off of a bowling pin and come back to whack another shooter on the line(not a serious injury but he had a pretty good knot on his shin). Even saw a .44 mag get lodged half in half out on the facing side of a 1x1 at 15ish meters.

I think a lot of the bad rap the 9mm gets for stopping is from poor ammunition choice. Alternatively I think the .45acp gets an equally bad rap for accuracy for a combination of bad ammo choice and the prevalence of shot out barrels from the days when it was in service with the military.

I hear you about the .40S&W, it is a wonderfully performing cartridge. I kinda miss my Glock mod. 22 sometimes.

My daughter let me shoot her Glock in .40 S&W. Only Glock I've ever fired and I am still a .45, 1911 bigot but that Glock was NICE. Fun to shoot, at least as accurate as I was that day, nice trigger pull - I COULD be convinced that perhaps a Glock .40 MIGHT possibly be an acceptable carry gun. Couple that with an identical set of mags from full size on down and a carbine that uses the Glock mag and it has a lot to recommend it for a survival weapon.

Capt, I really like my 40. The round has a good range capabilty as well.

In the rules for a gunfight

http://www.thegunzone.com/gunfighting.html

rule 23 is

Do not attend a gun fight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

I always add "or 10 if metric"!

but always remember corollary "a"

Nothing handheld is a reliable stopper.