Sign in to follow this  
Excess7

Something that got my wife thinking

So, my wife has always been on board and does her fair share and what I ask in terms of preparing, being safe, etc. but she rarely really has any extra input on top of what we are currently doing.

A friend let her borrow a book titled The Hunger Games and since she started reading it, she has been a bit more active and throwing out some decent ideas, not just inspired by the book, but also some new stuff not just regurgitated by what she has been reading. I was impressed.

I am sure I am not the only person who has a spouse that is on board but not overly interested, and I thought I might share that this was a good way for mine to gain a bit more interest. (I guess it is a pretty good book also.)

That is all.

My wife has those books and she doesn't care at all for prepping. She doesn't care that I do it, but there's no extra budgeting or agreeing from her. She's like most Americans. It takes a disaster to get her to participate.

I have not read those books either but want to, glad that it helped your wife to be a bit more interested in it. Amateur, i'm basically in your boat but my wife understands why I do it and allows me to pick up things here and there but not to the full extent I would like to. But at least she is understanding of it and for some reason as of late she has been more open to me picking up more stuff...not going to complain! hang in there buddy

I have not read those books either but want to, glad that it helped your wife to be a bit more interested in it. Amateur, i'm basically in your boat but my wife understands why I do it and allows me to pick up things here and there but not to the full extent I would like to. But at least she is understanding of it and for some reason as of late she has been more open to me picking up more stuff...not going to complain! hang in there buddy

Mine understands and lets me pick up a few things and so on, but is the type that won't get fully involved until something happens. Lol. With the baby coming in March, she's slowly swinging to the prepping side. lol.

this raises an interesting question for me. my wife recognizes the need but does not participate. we share finances but so long as we stay within the budget she doesnt hassle me about what i purchase. that being the case, I rarely if ever tell her what i have purchased related to my preps and she never asks. i realize that this has its downsides but curious if you guys/gals share with your non participating significant other what you purchase.

A book I always ask others to read is Alas Bablon,I found it in a pdf file and have it in my computer.

It does get a few to see the future in a what if situation.

Im Happy that my wife is activeley supporting me.She handles the TECK area and how to hide stuff and keeping records on CDs and SD cards.

She scrubed some of our stuff off the net a few months ago.lol

It does take time to get our loved ones to see things we know could happen.My daughter still think Im a bit nuts but they remember the storms in Florida and we had what we needed when we needed it.Thier husbands got there hands full.lol

Mine is familiar and has trained with me on our firearms (though prefers her little M4 with polly lower), she has her CCW and carries non lethal daily (no firearms allowed at her place of employment) and carries here less than lethal and CCW on the evenings/weekends.

She knows the lay of the land in terms of what we have and how to use it. In terms of emergency plans etc should SHTF while we are working, she has all the plan A's and B's.

There is even one scenario where she comes with our BOV (is that the right acronym for bug out vehicle?) to swoop me up at a predesignated list of locations!

I guess I lucked out with her!

My wife just finished the Hunger Games series, it got her talking a bit too. Gave me a chance to explain that government control like that doesn't happen overnight. It takes decades, slowly acclimating the sheeple to less and less freedom.

Mine has allowed me to start prepping but isnt involved at all and also rolls her eyes when theres theres talk about something big happening. But I noticed shes slowly getting involved. Received two waterbobs from Cheaper Than Dirt today and she was looking at it. Then I noticed her thumbing through my copy of The Preppers Guide! BREAKTHROUGH! LOL Not to the degree Id like but its a start. And believe me mine couldnt have cared less about being prepared. I think that if you point things out slowly, you have a better chance of not turning them off. Like I said to her the other day that food prices are going up. We should stock up on stuff. She didnt take much notice. Then she says a day later how she heard about peanut butter going up. Also beef is supposed to go up. Shes not filling five gallon pails with rice (yet) lol but I look at it as some hope for the future.

Read Alas Babylon when I was about 15, that was over 42 years ago. I found it recently and read it again,I was impressed by how relevant it still is. My wife and kids used to make fun of my prepping but they have come over to my side on this. My boys have their own and my wife will only ask if we need whatever I get and go along with it. She doesn't really help out but she isn't making fun anymore.

My wife has read all the Hunger games series and like most of you, she humors me on my preps. To her it's a little closer to home and to an extent, I think she feels I am just "paranoid" over my deployment. I kind of pulled a psy-op on her and gave her mom copies of the articles I have written for SC and some other items I have written on other items. My wife hasn't fully cut the apron strings, which I used to gain an ally. Her mom is now on board and pushing my wife in a way that I can't...lol.

so by getting the mom-inlaw involved you just basicly.......flanked your wife?

how could you? thats just wrong on so many levels but........

CONGRATS, to ya. all's fair in love and prepping! lol

i tried to use a friend of mine to help me flank my g.friend. (i said "flank" guys)

before i knew it she had him convinced i was a lil loose in the noodle. so now both of them

think im nuts and spend to much time on a "GLOOM AND DOOM" website.

now my g.friend and my pal (that mother flanker) both crack up when i talk prepping. i cant win for loosin. but we will see who they come running to when SHTF. :D

NO SOUP FOR YOU!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J02RdkvI6zo&feature=related

Edited by ricksconnected

Darn Rick, I was already thought of as being a load short of a brick by them, but to have a "supposed" friend (lol) "betray" me is something just over the top. I was actually surprised when she seen my viewpoint. Of course, some of the "other" items she read really opened her eyes.

Darn Rick, I was already thought of as being a load short of a brick by them, but to have a "supposed" friend (lol) "betray" me is something just over the top. I was actually surprised when she seen my viewpoint. Of course, some of the "other" items she read really opened her eyes.

its the preppers hell in which we live sir. Gods way of showing us that we cant prep for everything........

our other halves.

its the preppers hell in which we live sir. Gods way of showing us that we cant prep for everything........

our other halves.

LOL... Amen Sir. Of course I revert to my witty sarcasm (which usually means a night on the couch).

yes same here. thats how i started my practice with my preps. (a night on the couch/survival practice)

LMAO.... I will have to rember that and see if her mood changes when she comes downstairs and finds me with my BOB for a pillow and mt bag for a bedroll.

dont forget the weenies on your camp grill and your canteen beside you.

make the whole livingroom you new 1 day BOL. set up the ham radio, lol, set up your water filter in the fish tank to sift water for your morning coffee. flip the couch and come crawling out in the AM when she comes down the stairs. "Hault, who goes there" lol.

yes and our BOB supplies will be rationed to us even though they are our toys and not theirs.

i hate it when she tries to prove that she wear the pants and the panties in this house. im just glad none of my friends are around when she does it. hum....... maybe shes just practicing for when they are around. i think there might be a trap in my BOL (bugout livingroom) location. i might have to switch locations to the dinningroom. even my Private Beagle has surrendered to the forces and powers to be upstairs (the darkside).

hes a trader. :D my fair weathered Beagle

Edited by ricksconnected