Sign in to follow this  
MikeE

Hunting Ammo

I know there are a few places where ammo has been talked about, but I thought I'd start a new thread. I have a gun show coming up next weekend so I want to do some pre-shopping to do some price comparisons.

I recently acquired a Circut Judge (.410 shotgun/.45 rifle). For HD I've settled on the PDX1 (discs and BBs). I also own some 9 shot AA target loads. Is there a better alternative for hunting small game? The 9 shot target loads have so many bbs that I fear any small game that I may want to harvest would be so full of shot, I'd spend more time picking meat than eating it. What would be your favorite load for Thumper and Rocky?

here try this

its a shotgun shell adapter for your judge to shoot 22 lr and 32 mag or 32 s&w

http://www.gunadapters.com/tags/410-shotgun-adapter

this guy makes them in 5 calibers and one is 22 hornet a deer killing son of a gun {head shot} and it is center fire

rimfire is not legal for hunting large game only center fire but in

TEOTWAWKI 22 mag is a bad to the bone.

http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm

it may take a bit of time but our sights should work and you can use Kentucky windage

or the mortar method {lob them in}

BB shot for small game anything larger or smaller tears them up too bad and BB's can be bought in bulk and a high power magnate will find them lead

chew slowly LOL

get a LEE shotshell reloader and get loading.

have fun now ya' hear

Edited by juzcallmesnake

here try this

its a shotgun shell adapter for your judge to shoot 22 lr and 32 mag or 32 s&w

http://www.gunadapters.com/tags/410-shotgun-adapter

this guy makes them in 5 calibers

http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm

it may take a bit of time but our sights should work and you can use Kentucky windage

or the mortar method {lob them in}

BB shot for small game anything larger or smaller tears them up too bad and BB's can be bought in bulk

get a LEE shotshell reloader and get loading.

have fun now ya' hear

Well, I'll be damned. I had no idea these things existed. Problem solved! Thanks, Snake

Ok I have a question about #4 shot. Is there any diference between #4 buck and #4 bird? because my understanding was the number indicated the shot size so buck or bird shouldn't mater.

yes there is. Birdshot is classed in the "hunting" category, whereas the buckshot is for tactical/defense loads. The separation point is the BB size. I attached a chart that breaks down the different shot sizes by what caliber each pellet is closest to.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/ammo_s082000.html

Anytime. For those, me included, who are not on the inside, it's pretty confusing. For 12 guage, I load #5 birdshot for my normal hunting load, this seems to be the best all around for birds or small game. I also load a combo of #2 and #5 in birdshot for some extra pellets and some heavy shot to bust brush.

For home defense, I even load the used primers I knock out while reloading. It's not the most lethal load, but I also don't have to worry about it blowing through the walls and hitting a family member if the need for force arises.

Capt, I agree. I for one, can't remember every detail in every area I study or practice. I keep many references available to recheck and then recheck my recheck...lol. When I was handloading rifle ammo, I used a digital scale, then double checked with a manual scale and that was after using an auto powder measure.

I love the #5 shot for "run of the mill" hunting. It works for pheasant or dove when need be and small game like rabbit. I just got a 410 loader and haven't started loading them yet. I'll use the #5 for it also and still have a big supply of #2. I look for #4 factory for the 410 for extra brush busting in the lighter load of the 410.

the reason I like BB's

they are made of steel and a a good magnate will help you extract or find them

I hate chewing lead shot and BB is the least size shot for defense so I do not own

anything smaller shot wise and only steel / regular BB's as I ether bring it down or miss it.

and as far as I can find is legal for hunting waterfowl because it is not lead /nontoxic.

the reason I like BB's

they are made of steel and a a good magnate will help you extract or find them

I hate chewing lead shot and BB is the least size shot for defense so I do not own

anything smaller shot wise and only steel / regular BB's as I ether bring it down or miss it.

and as far as I can find is legal for hunting waterfowl because it is not lead /nontoxic.

Yeah, Snake, and you make the watermelons in CA happy since you're not leaving any of that nasty lead laying around.

OK, OK, I could have resisted, I should have resisted but I DIDN'T:p

Actually, that is a good solid reason for the BBs.

Capt Bart & 101matt

well I do use #4 buckshot in lead and slugs I am not too touchy feely about the environment.

I do not leave mounds of it lying about.

well I just hate having so many different sizes when a few will do all the jobs neatly

and California melons need some flavor I like the Texas black diamond variety better. LOL

Autonomous

you nailed it again.

I love to see all these technogeeks talking about global warming and the environment.

they have every new gadget and old ones known to man and all the new games

they act as if they have no responsibility for the piles in the dump.

I was at a clients home and his kid was yammering eco babel.

I asked how high would the pile be if they took all their electronic stuff and piled

it in the driveway, and what about all the stuff they gave or threw away replacing

it with the new STUFF.

you could see his facade crack a bit {that got rid of him for awhile}.

I know it did not sink in they will be texting and posting video on youtube, and

texting the mantra old people are bad and wasteful while the young are

pretty, smart and tasteful.

If the world was not crumbling around our feet it might be funny.

I am waiting on money to come on a roll like toilet paper its value is similar

so why waste a tree make them interchangeable.

instead of a coin changer a multiple roll holder like in a old restroom 5s 10s and 20s

hell a one won't even buy a drink in a good eatery anymore.

I figure my ammo will last a lot longer and have more value than all their gadgets

and I do not have to rent air time for them.

It seems to me that these inserts would be virtually useless for anything but making noise and wasting ammo. The barrel and its rifling are going to give you your accuracy. Imagine how accurate a .22 slug is going to be coming out the end of a .410 shotgun. Sure it will fire the shell, but if it just rattles down the barrel and flies off in god knows which direction it is just a waste of ammo. Spend the money and buy a good slingshot instead. Lots of rocks around never runs out of ammo.

It seems to me that these inserts would be virtually useless for anything but making noise and wasting ammo. The barrel and its rifling are going to give you your accuracy. Imagine how accurate a .22 slug is going to be coming out the end of a .410 shotgun. Sure it will fire the shell, but if it just rattles down the barrel and flies off in god knows which direction it is just a waste of ammo. Spend the money and buy a good slingshot instead. Lots of rocks around never runs out of ammo.

I wondered about the same thing but ordered one anyway. I'll let you know how and if it works

If you get one buy a LEE .311 round ball mold

http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/black-powder-molds/round-ball-mold

wheel weights make a great material and we will doubtfully run out anytime soon

the reason for making your own is size and weight for accuracy if either size or weight changes

so will your impact zone.

22 caliber steel ball bearings are not easy to find in nature but wheel weights are.

so having a standard size is key to good marksmanship in other words do not become addicted

to something that may not be available and you spent all that time using the wrong ammo.

some may have taken a warning to wear eye protection as a joke it is not read the following

http://www.weaponryonline.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=58&newlang=&topic=6&catid=3