Sign in to follow this  
shadowplyr

dog or no dog?

i read the article on dog or no dog on the site and was wondering what others think about it? while it is another mouth to feed and hydrate, i feel that my dog will help me in many ways such as protection, hunting, and warning me when someone or something is coming, so i will definitely be bringing mine with me as long as i can. especially since she will be carrying her own BOB.what are your thoughts?

i cant imagine life w/o a dog in it. my dogs are my kids. theres your answer.

Exactly. I was day dreaming the other day and i was thinking about zombies or Chinese or whoever attacking and my wife and I having to leave and leaving the dogs in the backyard and it dang near tore me up thinking about it. There's not a lot of room for them to defend themselves with the fence and I couldn't imagine coming back to find them shot or half eaten. There's nowhere that I go when I'm home that my Weimaraner isn't right behind me. He's my boy and I couldn't leave him. Although, he doesn't bark unless there's something worth barking about and he's part ninja in his ability to silently move around.

Our dogs are indeed extremely well trained. Wouldn't think of leaving them out of the loop of preparedness, as they are THE best indicators for potential threats. You might get past one if you are extremely fortunate, but, humans cannot out hear,out heat a well trained canine companion. Besides, why hog all the sentry duty for yourself.

I've got 3 dogs. 1 is an old man without much time left. One is a little whiny dog. The youngest is a lab/Dane mix. Looking at it objectively, if serious SHTF occurred and we had to bug out, I'd likely leave the old man and little whiny dog to fend for themselves. Possibly put old man out of his misery (cancer) and turn loose LWD to fend for herself. Cold-hearted but I'm looking at eliminating liablilities.

The lab/Dane mix on the other hand would be a great asset. She's well behaved and moderately trained at search & rescue. She somehow got the combo of lab-ground sniffer and Dane air-sniffer. I'd like to work with her more on the S/R, main goal is being able to sniff out the kids from a good distance. She's alert and family-oriented. A little more stranger social than I'd care for, but she'll let me know who's coming.

I'd prefer for an end of days scenario to happen after I've gotten her better trained and another like dog added. Old man might have a few months left, LWD likely another decade (God help me), and lab/Dane hopefully another 10.

Another note, the point of dogs from a defense standpoint, to me, is to slow down the attacker. Whether it's everyday home defense or a bug out situation. The dog is expendable. His job is to give me time to arm and aim. If the attacker doesn't kill the dog because the dog is off hiding, then dog had better find itself a new home. If dog mauls attacker and I don't have to fire, it's ribeye for life.

Dog. I have trained dogs for many years so mine are all fully trained protection dogs, whose abilities are far greater than police dogs. plus they are loyal, love you more than themselves and dont hold grudges. the mental aspects of having them during a time of crisis is second to none. plus, if you were to throw your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car and go for a joy ride, i promise that your dog is going to be far happier to see you when you let them out than your wife will. moral of the story....leave your wife and take the dog!!!!! good thing my wife doesnt read this site.

I've got 3 dogs. 1 is an old man without much time left. One is a little whiny dog. The youngest is a lab/Dane mix. Looking at it objectively, if serious SHTF occurred and we had to bug out, I'd likely leave the old man and little whiny dog to fend for themselves. Possibly put old man out of his misery (cancer) and turn loose LWD to fend for herself. Cold-hearted but I'm looking at eliminating liablilities.

The lab/Dane mix on the other hand would be a great asset. She's well behaved and moderately trained at search & rescue. She somehow got the combo of lab-ground sniffer and Dane air-sniffer. I'd like to work with her more on the S/R, main goal is being able to sniff out the kids from a good distance. She's alert and family-oriented. A little more stranger social than I'd care for, but she'll let me know who's coming.

I'd prefer for an end of days scenario to happen after I've gotten her better trained and another like dog added. Old man might have a few months left, LWD likely another decade (God help me), and lab/Dane hopefully another 10.

Jeez, I hope I don't get too lame as I advance in my years. My wife and child already like the cats better than me. LOL

MikeE,

Just don't let them talk you into going hunting. Three go out, but only two come back...kidding!

I reread what I posted above and realize it sounded heartless. I grew up with big, outdoor dogs on a working farm and I could not imagine through those years without canine help. I do not have a dog now and I cannot imagine getting one, but I know people who could not function without their best friend. Training, I believe, is the key.

I agree with your sentiment Rick. However, when it's down to brass tacks and my family, the dog is expendable.

hey if that what works for you MC's. i just gotta include the dog as a part of my family.

all for one and one for all type thing. my pup would die for his family if he knew what that ment lol.

I'd def bring the dog as long as possible. Shes a husky mix. Dont think she'd offer much in the way of defence but my daughter loves her. I think if nothing else shes a good companion for my little girl. The two cats however are on their own!

For the morons who would shoot the old dog-or simply leave it to starve to death or be butchered, or dump any animal because it now is not convenient for you-do everyone, including the dogs and cats, a favor. Do Not Own Any Animals. They deserve better. Domesticated dogs and cats are totally dependent on YOU! They are no longer hunters of prey-unless they get into a pack. Even then, domesticated dogs are no match for wolves or other wild predators. Idiots like you abandoned dogs and cats and old relatives without a backward glance in Hurricane Katrina. My pet rescue group picked up starving, bloated, abused carcasses by the carload. It sometimes included the human kind up by the attic. What if you accidently shoot yourself in the leg-on the way to your Bug Out Location?? Should the spouse say Adios A$XHOLE and move on, saving the kids and grandpa?? I have made plenty of plans, should we, as Americans, end up in a SHTF situation. But, I gotta tell you, I have no desire to live in an America where we are our own worst enemy. So-to answer the original question. Yes, make plans for and take the dog(s). You would be surprised how much protection a mini Yorkie is when trouble starts lurking around the tent. He may not be able to do much bite damage, but you wont wake up with your throat slit because you never heard the guy. Dogs and man have been protection partners for over 10,000 years. It is a relationship that has lasted for a reason.

hey if that what works for you MC's. i just gotta include the dog as a part of my family.

all for one and one for all type thing. my pup would die for his family if he knew what that ment lol.

I couldn't agree more.

A dog is part of the family. I use to have labs and they were extremely noble and loyal. In fact, they didn't like it when we would fight in my family..... my dad was attacking me and my brother (playfully) and my dog Lucky thought he was trying to hurt us... so he bit him in the ass..... lol hurts like a bitch too.... he did it once to me when I was fighting with my brother...

Now if it were someone trying to hurt one of us.... I can't imagine what he would've done.

When he was very sick my father couldn't take watching him suffer, so we took him to put him to sleep, it was the only time since my parents got divorced that we've all done something together.

I think my dad practically lost a son. It may sound crazy to some. If you have the right dog, he/she IS a family member.

I also agree with Stealth. People should not own dogs because its convenient or they like the way they look as puppies. A dog should be seen as a family member. If you doubt whether you'll be able to meet the needs of the animal, you shouldn't even be considering ownership.

Before buying/adopting ANY breed, one should do research to make sure that animals needs can be met.

Edited by exit

Guest survival101

Relax, Stealth. Nobody here wants to abandon their pets voluntarily. But, if it comes between your family's saftey and your pet, you have to do what you deem best for everyone. That doesn't include locking your pet in a house or apartment when you evacuate. Debate on this site is encouraged by the admins who allow us to come here, because we learn from each other. Your strong and passionate tirade is respected probably by all here, because it means you care. But there's no sense alienating the folks you hope to share your opinion with by calling any of us idiots, morons, or the additional references you made. Your point is well taken, with or without your incivility. Preferrably without.

Edited by survival101

I'm a dog lover and have had them in my life every day for the past 35 years or more (since I was old enough and finally begged the parents enough to let me get one). At this time I have 3 small dogs which are wonderful alarms, not much for protection but that's okay. They do tend to bark at my husband and I whenever we move (I get it - we are their life and they get excited when we do anything) but I've wondered if they might get me killed like that if SHTF. I adore them and would definately have them with me as long as they didn't put my family in danger. Realistically speaking - I'm not going to have my grandkids harmed because my dog wouldn't stop barking.

Training them to not bark has been an exercise in futility. I do feel that they would instinctively know to be quite and still if danger were near. Or I hope so.

Survival101 and Stealth,

We can agree that any critter that gives human beings total, unconditional love has a claim on our hearts. Humans die for their pets and their pets die for them every year. We and dogs have formed a team ever since man started up the ladder towards civilization. We might not have made it without our dogs. My dogs are going with me if I GOOD. No questions ask, they have, in fact, done so during Rita. That as a given, it behooves us to make sure our dogs are trained well enough that they do not jeopardize human life. I'm not able to read their minds but I don't think they'd like being the cause of harm to their (yes they own us as much as we own them) humans.

With that as a given, please, under no circumstances turn 'fluffy' loose so she can live! It doesn't work that way and the way 'fluffy' dies is no kindness. I've had to put several of our pets to sleep. I'm 6ft 2in, 210 lbs of annoyingly self-confident, some would say obnoxious, male and I cried like a baby each time. It was the right thing to do for the dog but it does not mean it was easy. IF you must leave your pet (and I do not judge why you came to that decision) then please do the loving thing for the pet and euthanize them. Ask your vet how you can do it but do not leave an animal you love to be prey for a pack of feral dogs or to become a member of a pack of feral dogs that might harm a human. Love sometimes means tough love - doing the right thing does not always feel good. 'Fluffy' being consumed alive by a pack of feral dogs is too stiff a price for you, me or anyone to feel good about themselves for 'letting fluffy live'.

We all feel strongly about this so let's be careful of name calling or assigning guilt to those we disagree with.

Guest survival101

I stand down at your request. lol...

I do, however, take offense at an "absentee" poster charging in and misconstruing anything either I, or The MCs or others said. Having said my piece, I'll move on. But not without extreme prejudice.

Appreciate these forums and what they have to offer.

~J~

Survival101 and Stealth,

We can agree that any critter that gives human beings total, unconditional love has a claim on our hearts. Humans die for their pets and their pets die for them every year. We and dogs have formed a team ever since man started up the ladder towards civilization. We might not have made it without our dogs. My dogs are going with me if I GOOD. No questions ask, they have, in fact, done so during Rita. That as a given, it behooves us to make sure our dogs are trained well enough that they do not jeopardize human life. I'm not able to read their minds but I don't think they'd like being the cause of harm to their (yes they own us as much as we own them) humans.

With that as a given, please, under no circumstances turn 'fluffy' loose so she can live! It doesn't work that way and the way 'fluffy' dies is no kindness. I've had to put several of our pets to sleep. I'm 6ft 2in, 210 lbs of annoyingly self-confident, some would say obnoxious, male and I cried like a baby each time. It was the right thing to do for the dog but it does not mean it was easy. IF you must leave your pet (and I do not judge why you came to that decision) then please do the loving thing for the pet and euthanize them. Ask your vet how you can do it but do not leave an animal you love to be prey for a pack of feral dogs or to become a member of a pack of feral dogs that might harm a human. Love sometimes means tough love - doing the right thing does not always feel good. 'Fluffy' being consumed alive by a pack of feral dogs is too stiff a price for you, me or anyone to feel good about themselves for 'letting fluffy live'.

We all feel strongly about this so let's be careful of name calling or assigning guilt to those we disagree with.

to me, this is the best post ive ever read of your bart. it hits home sir.

bravo survival101

first I admit this is a last ditch plan because I like my dog.

my plan doggie kabob you know onion meat bell pepper meat tomato.

during any bug out the dogs and cats come with us and they get vet services regularly

are well fed and seem to like it here because they don't leave and we do not believe in leashes

or chains we train our dogs a cat you cannot train so it must be the food.

I have eaten dog and cat and almost everything else on the planet so getting all gushy

because they fetch or whatever although I love my animals they are not sentient beings.

a pig is more intelligent than all the most chosen pets they understand more words than

a dog or cat lizard or bird and I mean UNDERSTAND not trained to act out.

so placing them on a pedestal over others in the animal kingdom is not fair

animals "are" and important to people but not to the point of dying for and I can understand people

who are poor suffering for their pet but people who place animals above people make a serious mistake

it is people who make the world go around if you feed a couple of cats you get more cats or dogs.

but what about the one child you could feed instead that, never occurs to extreme Animal lovers because

they are haters of humanity and refuse to admit it.

unless your a total vegan one meat is the same as another as far as it has to die in order for it to be

consumed, and they all die anyway some contribute more as a companion some as a great chicken & rice.

and shelters have put more animals to "sleep" that I have killed in a lifetime and what do you

think they are doing with all those boa's and anaconda's in Florida sending them to snake vacation

world, NO they are killing them but I do not hear an outcry because snakes don't fetch,

well they do if it's a rat.

If your squeamish well you ain't going to last, survival and homesteading means killing animals

weather for food or out of compassion,

and dying from illness or injury and nothing you can do but try to manage pain and suffering.

life and death are complicated we kill millions of bacteria and cells washing and no conscience of it

how many poor bugs frogs mice or whatever have you slaughtered with your car or walking.

and how many squirrels and others, science does not know the depth of love of life of insects

they may love life more because its so short for them and just before the copulate you kill them

with your car and maybe insects are more intelligent because they do not need us to survive.

if you swerve to miss a cat and kill a person or yourself then what are you?

and how will your family feel and think about it.

and I like Gillie's post and agree with it.

Capt Bart's post well I have cried at the passing of many of my animals

Awake, well it's true animals have no dishonesty or guile so yes they are ahead of people in that respect.

great thread

Edited by juzcallmesnake