Sign in to follow this  
shadowplyr

using magnesium fire starter

The hardest part is getting the shavings into a neat pile and throwing a spark to them without scattering them, especially in wind. They stick really well to a vaseline coated cotton ball though. A magnesium firestarter alone wouldn't be my first choice for an emergency fire. A mag firestarter and real good tinder though, that's different. Get in the habit of watching for birds nests, cattail fuzz, thistle down, etc always as you travel and especially when you are thinking about making camp and you may find some good tinder. Also a small tin can be used to make charcloth from cotton or char-cattail. Watch Dave Cantebury on you tube for more info.

Like meddle2243 said use dryer lint. I save it in old Rx bottles, you can stuff a lot of it into one. I keep one in my truck, in my BOB, in my hunting gear. I think where a lot of people go wrong is underestimating the amount of tinder/kindling theyl need. Get as much as you think youll need, then double it. It sucks when you get a decent fire started and then have it fizzle out because you didnt have enough tinder readily available. Just my .02.

I carry frito lays chips, they are heavy with oil. They light easily with magnesium shavings. Mix the chips in a bag of cotton balls and the cotton will soak up the oil. They burn similar to how cooking oil burns on a charcoal grate. Not long lasting but enough to light some punk wood.

You guys all point out a very important point. If you haven't built several fires with your fire starter, you do NOT have a fire starter! What the guy says on the video may be true, may not be, or may be true for some and not others. Know YOUR starter works because the life of someone you love may depend on you being right.

I've used the Frito chip thing several times. Even saw in on an episode of "Survivorman" and it works for me. I've used dryer lint but don't carry it - it stays at home because of bulk. I do carry cotton balls coated in Vaseline and that also works very well.

I've not made char cloth. That is an oversight on my part. I know about it but I just haven't done it. I need to play with that a bit.

The trick with the Magnesium is that it is a "flash" burn. Very hot but almost no duration. If you set it ON the tinder you may very well not get a fire before the magnesium is gone. Under or in the tinder is much better. Practice until you get it to start each and every time. I like the cotton balls, some threads pulled out, magnesium in the "hole" made in the Vaseline to get to the dry threads. The magnesium lights the dry threads which then light the Vaseline and you have a nice "oil" candle going.

Just remember, try it until you are consistently able to do it. Then try it in the rain and wind. When you can light a fire consistently in foul weather, then and only then can you say you have a fire starter with you.

Just my not so humble opinion.

You guys all point out a very important point. If you haven't built several fires with your fire starter, you do NOT have a fire starter! What the guy says on the video may be true, may not be, or may be true for some and not others. Know YOUR starter works because the life of someone you love may depend on you being right.

I've used the Frito chip thing several times. Even saw in on an episode of "Survivorman" and it works for me. I've used dryer lint but don't carry it - it stays at home because of bulk. I do carry cotton balls coated in Vaseline and that also works very well.

I've not made char cloth. That is an oversight on my part. I know about it but I just haven't done it. I need to play with that a bit.

The trick with the Magnesium is that it is a "flash" burn. Very hot but almost no duration. If you set it ON the tinder you may very well not get a fire before the magnesium is gone. Under or in the tinder is much better. Practice until you get it to start each and every time. I like the cotton balls, some threads pulled out, magnesium in the "hole" made in the Vaseline to get to the dry threads. The magnesium lights the dry threads which then light the Vaseline and you have a nice "oil" candle going.

Just remember, try it until you are consistently able to do it. Then try it in the rain and wind. When you can light a fire consistently in foul weather, then and only then can you say you have a fire starter with you.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Very very true sir. Sometmes we learn and read about all these skills but dont practice them.PRACTICE!

Good point. I got to thinking about my kit that I carry in my hunting pack. I have enough fire-starters to keep a flame going well over an hour without other fuel.

-4 wetfire cubes

-1 mentos gum bottle (very lightweight compard to pill bottles) with 15 vaseline cotton balls (tape the bottle shut so it won't come open, it opens easier than pill bottles also)

-1 2oz bottle (5hr energy bottle) of Coglan's fire paste. I dip the ends of small twigs in the paste and then arrange them in a piramid with the paste down on most, but up on a few. If your twigs or the air are a little damp this can really help get a flame started going.

-2ft square aluminum foil this is good for many things, but one of them is as a base for your fire on wet ground, or sandy soil where it takes a long time to get coals going. I use this trick when camping on damp sandbars on the river to get a good bed of coals for cooking started quicker.

I don't carry a magnesium bar firestarter, but have a small BIC lighter on the same lanyard as my Light My Fire army model firesteel. I also carry another smaller ferrocium rod and vaseline coated cotton balls in the Altoids tin kit I always have in my pocket.

Shadowplyr,

Im not sure if you have heard of Kodiac Magnesium Firestarter. When I saw the demonstration at a gun show, I was convinced. The way he explained it was that the magnesium is softer than most kinds making easier to burn. The Kodiac is waterproof, durable,and they replace the magnesium free. It can also be used as a small flare.

is that a compliment?

Which little bag is he talking about? If he can start a fire in the shower, he certainly start one any where.......well, lets not go there.

Edited by VIS 9