Sign in to follow this  
shadowplyr

using magnesium fire starter

i have been practicing using the emergency magnesium fire starter but am finding it alot harder than all the youtube videos and instructions i am seeing. any tips from any of you? bigger pieces, smaller pieces? the real problem is getting the spark to ignite the magnesium...

First find some lint out of the dryer of put some Vaseline on some cotton balls and then scrape some of the magnesium on it and then make the spark.

If you are using the lint or the cotton balls you can forget about the step of putting the magnesium on

shadowplyr,

Not to discourage your wanting the knowledge, but to me those magnesium fire starters can be a pain in the butt at times. I've always just found it easier to carry a BIC lighter.

Again not trying to discourage, just thought I would mention.

Good luck.

I carry 3 typs of fire starter at all times.Matches,bics,magnesium fire starter..My edc has cotton balls with petroleum jelly,bamboo skews,and the above items.

2 is one ,one is none...

Quote"Capt Bart."

Morning Rick.

If your carrying a hand cleaner(and you should) its base is flamable.A small dab of the jelly and poof.I just tryed it on my counter..works for me.(PLEASE dont try this with out Adult suppervision or with out asking your wife).

Morning Rick.

If your carrying a hand cleaner(and you should) its base is flamable.A small dab of the jelly and poof.I just tryed it on my counter..works for me.(PLEASE dont try this with out Adult suppervision or with out asking your wife).

LMAO this is very true about hand sanitizer being flammable but it is more true about asking your wife first when it comes to these types of matters. I too always have a lighter, matches and a fire striker on my person at all times....except the dang matches keep getting wet in the shower.

Well I don't have the money currently to buy one of those fancy dancy dry bags so I will just use a black garbage bag with some paracord and duct tape and make a nice little bag. Thanks for the idea Rick! Hope I don't get too many giggles in the shower at the Y. LMAO

I've only played with mine a little bit, but found that the striker tool that came with it is a joke. I found a little pile of tinder in the yard (dry grass, leaves) and then made a little pile of magnesium dust and used a knife blade to make enough of a spark and the magnesium lit fine. It burns up real fast though, so you've got to have enough dust and get the tinder right there quickly.

I saw a video about these and the guy was doing a review and saying thats some of these mag starters are crap although he was saying the brand I have was crapy but mine works fine. I used when the family and I went camping and I forgot my bic. I don't smoke. But the starter worked great. I have question. What's dog you guys use for scrapping the magniesium and the rod . I hate using my knife for this thanks