making the belt wider is easier, but when you make it wider you cant make it as long. and i just use old belt bucles from belts i get at the salvation army, cut off the old bet and start anew with paracord.

wow, smart idea. i wonder if she can make guitar straps????

edoubleshot,

the poncho can double as a cover, the stakes arnt really necessary for the tent but you can use tent stakes for any other things, such as a snare trap, self defense, climbing picks up a steep muddy slope, etc. so i suppose i could make do with just sticks outside and sharpen them to a point... but they are light weight and durable which is nice.

gilla,

i did not put in load bearing beaners simply because of the extra weight, i could not think of many things i would use them for that i couldnt just use paracord for. why would you carry them? im honestly curious of the implications.

Just in case. ;) I wear a riggers belt everyday, and had to use it once for work as a plumber, go figure. Mainly I use them for supporting my hammock, and ruck sack when camping.

They also have lower resistance to sliding then paracord, and with the newer materials, the ones I have purchased are as light or lighter than the non weight bearing variety and are safe for climbing use.

I've invested in complimentary climbing gear as well. Three locking D rings, one for each of us, a total of eight load bearing carabiners, and a belay rig to help navigate any unsettling terrain.

Paracord is great, I don't have enough, and never will. Most of my lengths end with a bowline knot for easier connections. But for fast, reliable, easy connections, I'll use my carabiners to do the job.

sounds like a good BOB. just my two cents but I would add some type of fire tender ( petroleum jelly cotton balls, dryer lint, saw dust eggs, ect...), a couple BIC lighters, some tarred bank line, a VS-17 panel (just in case you need rescuing... ya never know right.), and gorilla tape( 100 mph tape, duct tape, something like that). Like others have already posted there will always be more things to add.

As far as weight goes, IMHO, its what you are comfortable carrying. Take into consideration what type of terrain you will be going through and what you can comfortably carry.

You said you are married. Does she have a BOB? Will she be able to carry everything she needs? I have a wife and 2 children that live with me. They are all of varying ages and strengths so i had to consider what all they can and cannot carry when making lists for our bags. Inevitably once completed mine will be the heaviest by far with my youngest carrying her teddy bear and that's about it. Anyways, just something to think about. Hope it helps.

im with gilla on the load bearing beaners. there are 101 uses i can ramble off right now w/o taking a breath lol. just the other day at work we used 2 of them to secure a chain to a motor and hoist it out of a car. they are great for lifting your food,coolers,etc etc up in trees in bear country.

can be used to hang your hammock, tie your anchor to your kayak, (you do have a kayak dont you)

can be used to tie off a sled to a 4wheeler, the list goes on and on where load bearing beaners come in handy. a solid pack i would think should have 4 or 5.

its a bowline knot on the end, so if you need to attach and run, your good

I'm a big guy, and I may be reading this wrong, but this sentence scares me a bit. You aren't advocating rappelling with this, are you?

I'm a big guy, and I may be reading this wrong, but this sentence scares me a bit. You aren't advocating rappelling with this, are you?

optimally no, but i have done it before when i had no other choice, its 550 lbs test... so i trust it, and if your doing a 50 ft rapelling and you can then double it over and have over 1000 lbs test, and i am also a big guy, 6'5 270 lbs, and it help me just fine, but it DOES dig into your skin, but when you have no other choice, i choose it.

Looks like a good set-up to me. You have the basics covered and are looking into adding firearms for hunting and defense. I see you have 25 matches and a flint and stryker, but I'd add some tinder and a couple BIC lighters. They won't weigh much and fire can literally be the difference between life and death. I keep a gallon zip-lock on top of the dryer and put all the lint into it. When one gets full it goes in one of my kits or in the cabinet with my camping gear. Wetfire cubes or vaseline coated cotton balls are better tinder and burn longer than the lint so they are in all my survival, hunting, and fishing packs. Going to a little larger pack so everything fits inside and isn't visible would also be a good idea. Use your current one to make your girlfriend her own bag.

I have a Henry AR-7 in my BOB, I'm not sure how much it would help for self defense, but I've nailed a few woodchucks and rabbits with it, so it does the job, I guess.

Never underestimate the effectiveness of the 22lr. Truthfully, I'd take a 22lr over a 9mm any day for a defensive weapon. Leaving politics aside, the Mossad issue sidearm is a 22 lr. Look at CCI Stinger or Remington Yellowjackets for a primary load.