Sign in to follow this  
awake

variety is the spice of life.

looking at your food storage and ask what can i do to make all this taste better? Can that can of Spam taste better? Even if it is the 25th can in as many days. In a shtf situation you got to keep your strength up. Lets look into what can be done.

My first option would be to change the cooking method. Grille it instead of boiling it or fry it instead of eating it straight out of the can.

Next would be adding a gravy. Gravies can make the mundane foods fit for kings and queens.

Third thing.Try spicing it up with different spices. Here is a list of spices that would complement your stored foods. http://www.culinary-escapes.com/blog/top10/top-10-spices-to-have-in-your-spice-rack/. Some of these would make great barter items as well.

Hey you got to eat. you might as well make it better tasting. A month of the same old stuff might make you crazy in a crazier world.

yeppers I keep pounds of spices and powdered chicken beef and vegetable stock

as well as a couple pounds of cornstarch

all of you have struck a string to my heart FOOD

SPAM well chunked with pineapple its a great pizza topper or with veggies shish kabob

seared it has a different flavor chilli with Tabasco covers a multitude of sin

soak in vodka or juice or both on crackers.

I remember a cookbook here is a link

http://www.amazon.com/Spam-Cookbook-Linda-Eggers/dp/1563524864

here is a link for canned meat

http://www.keystonemeats.com/home/

and freeze dried meat of course beef chicken pork turkey

www.beprepared.com

www.shelfreliance.com

www.grandmascountrykitchen.com

the most important spice is salt pure you can buy water softener salt

in 40 pound bags for salting meat and fish

you need at least 3 and if nothing happens its a good lawn edger

Edited by juzcallmesnake

barbie.dragon

I am glad to see no scotch on the list have drank the most expensive to the least and not tasty.

rum yep my personal attorney and judge thought it was in my best interest not do drink it any more, oh yea Myers 151 or none.

whiskey next favorite Crown Royal then I found that Kessler tasted the same and way less expensive.

Tequila it has that certain flavor sunrises and sunsets margaritas lived south of the border ole'.

vodka well if nothing else is available I used to drink it in the morning bloody Mary's with tobasco.

Water yuck great for cooking though

American beer next to water good only for cooking biscuits and sausage and I do not get the child

size cans, children are not suppose to drink beer here, are they?? LOL

Edited by juzcallmesnake

I always thought different flavored Tobasco sauces can help big time! The green one is my absolute favorite! Especially if you don't open the bottles, they last a long time.

If we have plenty of water, some rum, whiskey or vodka would help.... :D

Love the green bottle myself. Carry a small bottle when i backpack. If you burn your dinner it helps- i know.

My bride does a mustard glaze thing for Spam that is out of this world. Love it.

I learned in RVN that ANYTHING can be consumed IF you enough Tabasco. If Tabasco is not in your survival pantry, BOB, and (in my not so humble opinion) EDC (they have small bottles for that) then you are not completely prepared!

Barbie, the green is good but I'm an anachronism; I prefer the red.

Snake, what do you have against scotch? I guess we could survive together, I'll drink all the scotch (especially any single malted, especially island scotch (it's an acquired taste)) and you can have the all the rest except the Tequila. Margaritas are the only 'mixed' drink I truly enjoy and the ONLY alcoholic beverage I've ever found that helps slake a thirst.

LOL yep it slacks my thirst one drink and I don't want any more

I got nothing against it, I just can't drink it but when i got a jag going i would drink for 2 to 3 days

as next time might be a month or more.

trying to cram a lot of living into a short time.

I got hung up with a bunch of Aussies and all we could get was Beefeater gin and tonic

it was "different" and suppose to help with jungle rot or something I though it was more for

keeping us happy so we would not catch the next plane out.

the place was a hole...

LOL yep it slacks my thirst one drink and I don't want any more

I got nothing against it, I just can't drink it but when i got a jag going i would drink for 2 to 3 days

as next time might be a month or more.

trying to cram a lot of living into a short time.

I got hung up with a bunch of Aussies and all we could get was Beefeater gin and tonic

it was "different" and suppose to help with jungle rot or something I though it was more for

keeping us happy so we would not catch the next plane out.

the place was a hole...

Lord, Snake - AUSSIES?????

You are right, I'd forgotten about Bombay Blue and tonic! The Aussie ambassador was a passenger of mine in RVN and he introduced me to the concept of drinking scotch that was older than I was. Not too hard when you're 21, gets expensive quickly however!

Throw some lime in the tonic and it isn't bad. I actually have a prescription from my MD for drinking tonic every day. Says I can mix it with anything I need to for the bitter taste but I NEED the tonic water for a medical condition! I LOVE MY DOC!B)

Now if I could just convince my medical insurance that the local liquor store is a pharmacy ......

I'm not going to admit to anything (being under 21) but a bottle of patron or Jack single barrel will do the job juussst fine

When my bride and I were married Texas law allowed her to drink since she was "a married minor in the presence of her husband". I, on the other hand, being 20 was not able to buy booze in Texas for a year. It was strange.

whiskey next favorite Crown Royal then I found that Kessler tasted the same and way less expensive.

Crown Royal for me. I grew up on it, it's is the only hard alcohol my dad would drink and I guess it rubbed off on me B) I'll do Johnny Walker Black, Kettle One & tonics, or a Capt. & Coke from time to time but, Crown is my staple. I have a buddy I went to school with who is Canadian whenever one of his family members would come to visit he would have them get me a bottle of the "Limited Edition" Crown that they don't sell in the US. It is by far the smoothest thing I have ever tasted. (that reminds me I need to give him a call ;))

Crown Royal for me. I grew up on it, it's is the only hard alcohol my dad would drink and I guess it rubbed off on me B) I'll do Johnny Walker Black, Kettle One & tonics, or a Capt. & Coke from time to time but, Crown is my staple. I have a buddy I went to school with who is Canadian whenever one of his family members would come to visit he would have them get me a bottle of the "Limited Edition" Crown that they don't sell in the US. It is by far the smoothest thing I have ever tasted. (that reminds me I need to give him a call ;))

My Brit friends bring me single malteds from Scotland when they come. The only thing wrong is once you get used to the good stuff, it's tough to go back to the swill!

It is apparent to me that none of you has ever had any good Vodka. It is one of the most useful of drinks. It goes with anything.... I recall that it went very well with variety and the spice of life..... it also goes well with DIVORCE. Well, if you drink enough of it.

It is a very useful survival tool. You can use it to start fires and to warm up a guest. It helps to pass time....when you awake you do not know what year it is much less the time. Nor do you care you only have one desire.....ASPIRIN!!!! I recall one time my ex told me if I had another drink that I would not see her for a long time. Well, she was a person of her word. After about a week my right eye started to open just a little. By the time the other one opened I could read the papers her attorney gave me. .....I'll never forget whats her name.

It is apparent to me that none of you has ever had any good Vodka. It is one of the most useful of drinks. It goes with anything.... I recall that it went very well with variety and the spice of life..... it also goes well with DIVORCE. Well, if you drink enough of it.

It is a very useful survival tool. You can use it to start fires and to warm up a guest. It helps to pass time....when you awake you do not know what year it is much less the time. Nor do you care you only have one desire.....ASPIRIN!!!! I recall one time my ex told me if I had another drink that I would not see her for a long time. Well, she was a person of her word. After about a week my right eye started to open just a little. By the time the other one opened I could read the papers her attorney gave me. .....I'll never forget whats her name.

LMAO.... I am another that will drink anything except Scotch. Vodka can be changed to your liking by infusing herbs, fruits, berries and the like... Never tried putting Cherries in a bottle of Jack???? Also... to any high dollar tequilla drinkers out there... (including those that aren't legally allowed to drink) Camarena is about half the price of Patron, Don Julio, Cabo Wabo and I promise after the first shot you can't tell the difference. And the first shot is very good on it's own merits....

LMAO.... I am another that will drink anything except Scotch. Vodka can be changed to your liking by infusing herbs, fruits, berries and the like... Never tried putting Cherries in a bottle of Jack???? Also... to any high dollar tequilla drinkers out there... (including those that aren't legally allowed to drink) Camarena is about half the price of Patron, Don Julio, Cabo Wabo and I promise after the first shot you can't tell the difference. And the first shot is very good on it's own merits....

Thanks for that tip! At $45 a bottle Patron gets real expensive when ever I indulge.