Sign in to follow this  
bob leeper

pine resins

ive started collecting the resins from pine trees again, as it makes a great firestarter. i found a large lump of it one time, it looked like a yellowish rock . i picked it up, and i sniffed it to be certain. that night i put it

in the bottom of a tin can and lit it up with a match and i had a popping sizzling flame that i couldn't blow out. i ended up pouring a dash 0f water onto it and re-lit it a few minutes later to get the fire going. cutting a bit of it and lighting it. it flares up into i yellow white blaze of heat and the fire was going hot and fast. now i have to scour the place and collect more of this resin for myself and a few others,,, happy hunting and thankyou for your time and patience bubba

I love this trick. On one occasion, I found an entire log that was impregnated with resin, from a lightning strike to the pine tree. Unfortunately, I tossed the whole log on the fire all at once. This resulted in a large flame measuring approximately eight feet tall. I have never been able to find a cache of resin comparable to that find Oh well.

whats even more fun is to find an area thats been clear cut and find resin filled short stumps of pine .. aka fatwood, these stumpy materials will burn when wet. georgia fatwood is probably the second best firestarter there is, next to carolina fat wood ..im partial myself.

to harvest pine resin

get a nail and drive in to a pine tree about 1/2 inch past the bark and pull it out in the early spring during

the summer it will leak out not like maple it's like sticky really thick honey

if you hike in an area full of pine just look for yellow to clear sap sometimes it looks frosted and get and old piece of muslin cloth and pull it off these areas on the tree is where bugs have entered or woodpeckers have gotten the bugs and the sap oozes out.

a pine knot can be found where a joint of a limb intersects the trunk or very large limb

in a dead/ rotten tree you can chop them out they burn with intense heat as they have rosin impregnated between the layers of wood like layers of paper with rosin between they can be shaved into a fine thin

slivers or even like a powder and used as tinder if a whole knot is used it can make it very hot....

check every once and a while when it starts to get cold pry it off and roll in flour to keep it from sticking

another way is to go to a sporting goods store and get rosin or a rosin bag you can heat the powder and it will become liquid and cover strips of cloth or I guess make clumps.

if you really want to make a good fire starter art supply or artist paint supply has magnesium powder it

is used for making your own color of paint

just a pinch added to the resin or rosin will give it high temp for a period to get a fire going also save the

lint from the clothes dryer a bit of rosin and this should start a roaring fire rusty number 4 ought steel

wool works with flame or a 9 volt battery

my most pressed idea is buy Bic lighters do not buy anything else having lived in many places I found them to be the most reliable get them in bright colors a camouflaged lighter is easily lost always have at least 2 on

you one on a belt pack the other in your BOB

there is a kit to make a leather lighter holder on a leather boot lace with small plastic handle folding knife

serrated is best and some tinder in a what Indians called a medicine bag some other tribal peoples use

them.

decorate and make it look authentic just for grins with beading or fringe what ever you can make it out of an old pair of boots cut the

tongues out do not waste the rest, there is a great tool to have its a lace maker get a piece of leather and cut a hole in the

center and pulling it in a circle it cuts the leather into a continuous strip use a nail or punch off your Swiss army knife and lace the edges up.

add a knot a piece of bone or antler and a loop and you have made a old style button.

my dad made me my first weapon a boot lace and a shoe tongue made me a sling nothing was safe I

rocked everything in the area ...........

Edited by juzcallmesnake

I'm with u guys on that! That pine resin is a great fire starter and I usually look for an older stump for it because the resin is more prominent in older pine logs and stumps and is a "never fail" pretty much. Good starter in the absence of tinder!

Great information! Here in the Southeast you can find "lighter Knot" which is the heart of a old pine tree stump. The resin settles in the stump over time. You may have seen fatwood sticks for sell in stores, these are basically the same thing. So when you are out in the woods look for old pine stumps and use your axe, hatchet or knife and hack into the heart of the stump. You can cut of pieces, cut off shavings and place them in a small container and keep with your fire starting kit.

Lighter pine or fatwood is abundant where I live. I have 2 stumps approximately 4 foot long and a little more than a foot wide, however we still collect all we find and pit it.on the pile. I have asmall piece.of it.on every vehicle I have for those just incase moments.

Just as an aside (and slightly off topic); if you are new to fireplaces be very careful of the wood you burn in them. The resin can accumulate in the chimney and when it gets hot enough go out of the stack burning. Good way to set the roof or surrounding area on fire. Also be aware that wood burns much hotter than natural gas. If your home has a gas "fireplace" it is not necessarily capable of burning wood. Have the fireplace checked by a pro just to be sure everything is OK. Wood exhaust gases can be many hundreds of degrees hotter than natural gas exhaust. An attic fire can ruin your whole day.

hi all

yes resin does get a fire started good,even from being wet.but keep in mind,indians used it for super glue. they used it in making canoes.body temp is all thats required to melt it.baggies & paper towels ,can be a life saver when using this.

Great Post

I will try the glue on some wood first to check the strenght.

yes matt its very sticky.they used it mostly on canoes to make the seams water proof.but they get soft at body temp.i just figured if it was great,it would be on the market.but maybe there just isn't enough profit.

FYI

if you want rosin just go to any sporting goods store and you can buy it.

in evergreen type trees resin or rosin collects in the knot where a limb comes out of the

trunk of the tree we used to chop it out and shave it to make tinder works well.

and as shavings you can get a lot from a small knot.

Edited by juzcallmesnake

I remember back when I was in boyscouts, we decided to pile up about 20 pounds of pine needles and branches under the logs for our long term fire. None of us expected the fire to get as high as it did, a good 15 feet at the least. Thankfully it lowered to a non forest fire risk level fairly quick but it sure was fun.

On a canoe trip, we had a spare day, sowe spent the whole time collecting the resin with our knives, then the rest finding big long branches to make a giant tepee like you do with smaller fires. Then we waited till dark to light it. The resulting heat exploded through 3-4 layers or rock. Bricks were shat the next morning when we saw this.

Be ready for some very sticky hands. I did use my knife when collecting pine pitch but it gets the blade all sticky. So now I just sharpen a stick and use that to pry the pine pitch off the tree and put it in a empty coffee cup for storage. Be careful where you put the pine pitch it sticks to everything. Ill post some pics of my pine pitch lamp...OT