Sign in to follow this  
Guest survival101

Pantry Patrol - Vermin (Bug In) (Wink, Wink)

Guest survival101

:eek: A good place to start prepping a pantry for short term Bug In, is with a quick pantry patrol. While taking stock and considering organization and portability, take time to check your existing goods for vermin. Under discussion today are weevils. These destructive little devils like your grain products, and seem to be able to get into tightly sealed plastic containers. They are small, elongated, blackish brown insects. While it might seem okay to have a few in your emergency rations... (they won't eat much, and they're good protein?), it isn't a good idea to let them take up residence because they will multiply and munch on your much needed stores. Quickly discard any products infested with weevils, and haul the trash out right away. If you aren't sure if those little black specks in your product are weevils or spices, microwave the product for a couple of seconds and you should see the bugs making a quick exit. Clean all empty containers thoroughly with hot soapy water, and let dry. Then replace with fresh products, putting one or two dried bay leaves in the container. Remember to do this with all grain products, and keep them in a sealed container or resealable plastic bag. Places you might find weevils: flour, corn meal, rice, baking mixes, cereal, croutons, popcorn, oatmeal, crackers... anything grain related. The cost of the dried bay leaves is much less than the cost to replace your stores. Get the freshest dried bay leaves from your local herb shop or co-op. The ones at the grocery are much less potent, and usually more expensive. And, it was likely that the weevils were a gift with purchase from your local grocery. If you have no bay leaves, try matchbooks in or on every container. That may work as well. You will have some residual weevils just hanging out, patrolling for your weak spot so be sure to do this immediately to encourage them to move on. Please share any other thoughts about pantry patrol, weevils or other vermin. What works best for you to keep the pantry safe and secure from pests?

Edited by survival101
spelling, grammar errors

Good thread. The weevils do not make the food inedible. In fact most of the insect type vermin do not make your stores inedible. That is information to have for after TSHTF. Before TSHTF you are spot on. Protect your supplies. The rodent type vermin carry disease, leave droppings and urine in your food and in general need to be eradicated as quickly and thoroughly as possible.

I guess after TSHTF rodents would be a protein source but you must take precautions against disease during the taking and prepping of any animal. Protecting your pantry from the "Wild Kingdom" may actually be as important as external security for your BOL.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Wow 101, I have never thought about that. I've been more focused on getting the food rather then tending to it. I never thought that it might get taken by the least suspecting of all enemies, the rodent! Haha, thanks for the heads up, my friend!

I learned from my mother

we always had containers tupper wear was where everything went after opening the package.

every season, here in Texas we have 2 hot and less hot of course the couple of weeks of winter do not

count.

we would empty every closet cabinets and move all the furniture and every thing got cleaned

even the underside of the furniture.

reorganize and while things were empty we sprayed for bugs today I use TAT bug spray it seems

to work well, after I replace everything and what is old or not needed I sell at a garage sale

so then the house is clean and organized and bug free.

If you keep most of your goods at eye level or in a 20 gallon tote if a emergency happens you can

sweep the shelf contents out into a pillow case or duffle and haul butt prepping is also about

having everything in it's place so your not chasing your tail trying to find your

billfold extra cash phone keys food "gear" and fuel, need to make a list.

tools case of bottled water and BOB or GHB should already be in your vehicle

I have most every thing in a straight line from the bedroom kitchen to the vehicle

and keep it in the same place all the time you have got to build it into your routine

as well as the seasonal cleaning and checking BOB for old drugs or torn or old food packets

reorganize and repack.

Guest survival101

I really take that advice to heart, thanks. Working on it. Have put the goods we could eat without cooking in two bins, could easily haul them out, or in a pillow case. Every day making sure my sturdy shoes with socks are by the bed with my keys, flashlight (kubaton), whistle and knife nearby, survival cord on my wrist. Organized the two baths so there is only one tote that holds the necessaries, sitting ready. Vitamins, meds, first aid stuff. The bug out bags are ready, and all together, and the weapons nearby. Worked on organizing the BOV today, got a list ready to fix it up nice. Streamlining could be critical.