Sign in to follow this  
barbie.dragon

Alice Pack

Hellos everyone

I was deciding if I should get a Alice pack (medium) or a BOB and a EDC bag for school (college). I read some reviews that the outer pockets don't close properly, the bag is uncomfortable ect ect. Can anyone with a Alice pack (medium) answer a few questions I hvae?

1. Do the outer compartments close properly? (no danger of stuff falling out by accident if the pack was dropped ect.)

2. How is the comfort level of the pack?

3. Does it draw attention when you wear it around the city, town or wherever you live?

Thanks

the outer pockets should have draw strings as a secondary security, if the snaps are worn they may not close properly, replacing them is simple but can be a bit challenging if you've never done it before With frame and some spec ops replacement shoulder straps they are less miserable to wear over long distances (After years as an Infantry bubba i can't help but see it as a torture device and was estatic when we switched to the molle pack). They are solid, I'll give them that, but be careful of overloading them without a frame, it can cause same really nasty back damage over time.

I was in my "man cave" earlier and noticed that I still have my old alice three day in there and recalled this thread, i did a quick comparison and noted it had about the same amount of storage in the main compartment as my old school SOC bag. It's the older version of this one I believe, http://www.militaryuniformexchange.com/exchange/viewad.asp?id=50075493375100258

This type of bag I've found is more comfortable to carry even under load, and keeps things more organized. The compression straps on the side have more than enough slack to strap sleeping rolls, or heavy clothing into. I've been using mine for close to ten years without issue. And I've used it as a bookbag for classes as well without anyone giving me the crazy eye.

Hope it helps you figure out what you want. If you look around you may still be able to find some of the solid black or tan ones.

I probably have a dozen or so solid packs for tactical and outdoor use. The army just kept giving me the things, and then I buy one every now and then to fit a specific mission/role.

You may want to take a look at the bags blackhawk put out too. I have one of these, and though a bit small it's done well by me in the rough stuff. It kind of depends on how much you plan to carry. http://www.blackhawk.com/product/3-Day-Assault-Pack,865,44.htm

I think I will stick to my Rush 12. It's not too big, so I have to think about what to put in it. As with the medium ALICE, its a good pack. What I like about it, is that you have space below it where the frame is still open, so things strapped to the bottom are not riding on your butt. what i don't like about ALICE packs, is they tend to ride on butt packs if you wear them. Assault style packs don't do that as much.

After talking with my CFO and useing every web site I could find, I finally ordered the Alice Packs..

2 large OD Alice packs/good condition $17.84..2 alice frames with all the starps and padding..$11.33 each

1 shelf for the Pack..$8.33 new ..2 ,2 quart canteens OD used.$3.00 each..2.2 QT DESERT CANTEEN COVER WITH STRAPS / ALICE CLIPS NEW....$3.14 each..

$61.11-10%=$55.00 for everthing ..shiping was $13.00..

its in budget and we got more than what was planed..but for $68.00 you cant beat it..My CFO is Happy

Thanks for ALL the great advice you all gave..

After talking with my CFO and useing every web site I could find, I finally ordered the Alice Packs..

2 large OD Alice packs/good condition $17.84..2 alice frames with all the starps and padding..$11.33 each

1 shelf for the Pack..$8.33 new ..2 ,2 quart canteens OD used.$3.00 each..2.2 QT DESERT CANTEEN COVER WITH STRAPS / ALICE CLIPS NEW....$3.14 each..

$61.11-10%=$55.00 for everthing ..shiping was $13.00..

its in budget and we got more than what was planed..but for $68.00 you cant beat it..My CFO is Happy

Thanks for ALL the great advice you all gave..

Dang son. 68 bucks for all that is a good deal. I tried to duplicate your pack order and with just 2 packs, 1 frame, and 1 strap set, I was at $83 on the same site.

Amateur..

always check every page,some sections are 5 pages long and the best deals are hidden ..

1st never purchase off an end cap(first page0.2 always look around the entire section(look around )

JMHO..and yep Im a cheap sob..

Amateur..

always check every page,some sections are 5 pages long and the best deals are hidden ..

1st never purchase off an end cap(first page0.2 always look around the entire section(look around )

JMHO..and yep Im a cheap sob..

Gotcha. lol.

I have a med. Alice pack as my BOB. It isn't the beat or most comfortable thing out there BUT it IS the best for the buck and like you it was an easier sell to my CFO. It is TOUGH and does the job.