Sign in to follow this  
barbie.dragon

Dealing with Other People

Hi everyone! I haven't seen a thread regarding this so I'll just post it myself. Or maybe I didn't read carefully enough. Anyways here goes!

I live in a suburb in a condo complex and what I've been thinking about is: how to deal with neighbors when SHTF.

I firmly believe dealing with other people is in the top three problems we have to deal with in a SHTF situation:

1. water

2. people

3. food

Have you guys given thoughts to how you would deal with your neighbors? Do you have enough to accommodate a few others than your family?

I realize a lot of people get firearms to protect themselves but what if a single mom with a child comes up to your front door begging for food for her 5 year old kid? Can we really turn them away?

Also I have neighbors that have skills that might help me in a SHTF situation, for example one of my neighbors is a hunter and we do live by the Santa Cruz mountains which is fairly abundant with deer and turkey. Or we have a lot of engineers that know how to deal with... engineer stuff. You get my point. But in my condo complex I believe there are about 24 other units on average 2 people living in a condo. Now the bigger problem is, everyone is really friendly to each other... We have annual bbqs every august and talk with each other and stuff like that. So what do we do, help the neighbors or just lock the doors?

Guest survival101

My opinion is that friendly will turn into predatorial right away once people are hungry. Best not to clue them in that you are prepared. However, more than one forum here has expressed the opinion that there is safety in numbers. So, I guess it's going to all boil down to who can you trust? Truly trust. And how do you know? As to the child scenario, that's a tough one. Looking forward to some opinions on this one. J.

Edited by survival101
removed information

I live in an apartment complex (a pretty large one) and this has crossed my mind, and even though if SHTF my bug out location is back home, probably a two day walk, what if I'm stuck here? I'm just hoping I'm set up enough and ready for a urban survival situation

You are probably looking at the toughest challenge to face in the preparedness arena. You can buy all the food and protection you want. Prepare your bags, test your skills, and make your plans. But what happens if you are faced with making life or death decisions for not yourself or your family, but for other people?

How much responsibility should you take on? Does that responsibilty end at your immediate family? Extended family? Your friends? Neighbors? Each step draws a larger circle and an exponentially larger burden to carry.

You are going to have to answer that question yourself based on your abilities and the resources you have available to you at the moment. As time goes by and your abilities and resources grow then you can decide how much to increase the size of the circle. Some of it will come naturally. You marry, have kids, and the circle gets larger. Make fast friends that share your views and can share the burden and you can increase the circle once again. Always you have to evaluate where you are and what you can do.

My viewpoint is that you are morally obligated to do as much as you can, and no more. Knowing what is "as much as you can" is the real question. It can only be answered by you.

A bit of a weighty issue, no?

How much responsibility should you take on? Does that responsibilty end at your immediate family? Extended family? Your friends? Neighbors? Each step draws a larger circle and an exponentially larger burden to carry.

You are going to have to answer that question yourself based on your abilities and the resources you have available to you at the moment.

killer reply rod. kudos to you.

here is my thoughts. i will go the extra mile with someone. i will carry them 1 more if they need me to.

i will give what i have to give as i honestly believe life is all about giving back. what i cant afford to do is take someone else's burdons and place them on my own sholders. only my very close family and friends.

and i have very few "close friends".

i keep my preps quiet to the point that even my family is unaware of what truly im prepared for. might be everything and might be nothing. they know to find me if needed and they know where ill be. the best way to answer this question, is to say, if and when an event occurs, you will have to make a choice, and that choice will depend on how prepared you are at that time, your resources for replenishing anything you "donate to charity" and if you feel that person is not a threat to you. i agree with Rick and Rod. to me its simple. do what you can which will not hurt you or those that you have prepared for. if you've done all you are able, then you dont have to question yourself later.

if you've done all you are able, then you dont have to question yourself later.

there really is only so much we can do to take care of even ourselves.

thats why im greatful i know what i know and have a site like this i can count on.

to prep is really our very own responsibility. ignorence is no excuse in my book on this.

i mean we all know bad times can come and know we need to prep as best we can for those times.

ok so you might not know everything about prepping but everybody should know what the basic

needs are and should research them.

interesting

I only deal with people when we are dealing with something they have and I want

now if the shoe is on the other foot and it TEOTWAWKI then I ani't dealing

times up if they don't have it too bad and if the f@rk with me I blow a hole in them

friend neighbor or my pastor hell just for fun I mow down a girl scout troop

because I already have signs out and barbed wire WTSHTF I got 2,000 feet of wire and tanglefoot

as well as some other party favors and it only gets worse from there.

I hate stupid people and lazy ones it is not going to get better because of the grid is down.

and if anyone here has a short memory shoeshine boys with poppers and if you think

it wont happen if you got something they want they will con some one into carrying a trojan

package and they get rid of a hangar on and you now they got all your sh*t

good looking women will be humping Frankenstein and slipping him antifreeze in his cocoa

if you are stupid you won't last long if you trust your own family I would rethink that plan..

Great posts all.

Charity is something that needs to be addressed in your prep. I go back and forth on this issue. Do i share or do i hoard for the good of my group? Maybe the greater question is "will i give up an important part of my humanity in the face of the worse of times" ?

I am not the most religious man but Matthew 25:40 is in the back of my head on this one.

I definitely think charity is important. Even though I'm broke. I guess when the time comes I'll have to trust myself to do the right thing. But little children always get to me :/ All because their parents/guardians didn't prep, it doesnt mean the KIDS should suffer from that you know (IMHO)? Little kids are just at the mercy of their guardians... And animals too!

I am not the most religious man but Matthew 25:40 is in the back of my head on this one.

we can go on for days on this one. ya gotta ask yourself, when he mentioned "brethren",

was he talking about man kind or brothers in christ? we are not responsible for the lost.

i see what your saying awake, i really do. (matthew 25:40)

thing is, we are also told to be like the ant, to store up. we are also warned about idel hands.

we can run like the wind with these warnings and suggestions from the bible.

in the end, will you give of your last at the possible cost of yourself or a loved one so another shall live?

wow thats a tough question isnt it?

i see what your saying awake, i really do. (matthew 25:40)

thing is, we are also told to be like the ant, to store up. we are also warned about idel hands.

we can run like the wind with these warnings and suggestions from the bible.

in the end, will you give of your last at the possible cost of yourself or a loved one so another shall live?

wow thats a tough question isnt it?

In the end you have to answer for yourself. I do place family first. I do plan to have extra for charity and barter.

In the end you have to answer for yourself. I do place family first. I do plan to have extra for charity and barter.

exactly and as will i my friend, as will i. everybody should. its up to you though as to how much

you put back. awake, i have kept in mind that charity is the work of the Lord and we are told to do the Lords works.

It's reasonable to expect that a certain percent of the people living in apartments and condos know some one or have family they will try to fall back on living in houses or different cities. But at a certain point it becomes in your best interest to coordinator with those nearest to you, whether that is 2 weeks or 2 months is for you to decide. My opinion on the mater is I would rather stop a home invasions 5 houses down then in my hall way.

Rod wrote,"Knowing what is "as much as you can" is the real question. It can only be answered by you."

Truer words were never spoken (or typed). From my experience though, you're tougher than you ever thought you could be. At least you are if you're more afraid of giving up than of failing or losing. It depends on your mindset and your heart. Sometimes, as much as you can is just the beginning and more than you thought isn't even the halfway point. I've always believed that there are always alternatives, but sometimes there is only one path and you have no choice other than to walk it. Or as Winston Churchill said,

"if you are going throu Hell, keep going!"

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katherinebarnard

Edited by Hossfly

One of the main reasons I left the city as a young man.You cant take care of everybody.There seams to always be a "Great Need" somewhere.

People dont plan,people suffer.Its life and death.Simple and to the point,compassion to those who deserve it.Now the question for you is who deserves it?

The difference is simple.....

#1..."You need to share that with me" in a condesending way.

#2.."If at all possible can you share anything for my children?"

#3..I need some food for my self and family,all I have is " " to trade for it.Can you help me?

#4..I hear you got some extra food,you going to be a good Christian and SHARE it???

Two of these responces will get you what you need. I will be blessed and count on "DAD" to restore

Two of these responces will get you what you DONT want.I will be asking for forgivness when I see "Dad"

For each of us its different,and at each corner we deside on whats best.Just watch out for the Con because its coming your way.Living Grey is safe.

I will take care of me and mine. Period. I don't announce what I have, what I'm getting, etc. If SHTF and the food trucks show up, I will be in line just like everyone else.

Being a Christian I understand and have read Mathew 25:40, but my parents always instilled "God helps those that help themselves."

Barbie, from your intro I know you're just starting out, so it's premature for this question. Don't misunderstand, I think it is very sweet of you, but you can't give what you don't have.First you have to be able to take care of yourself.

Now, at your next get-together, Iwould suggest broaching the subject of working together this way: We live in earthquake territory, what if it hits here. The apt. complex is damaged, how do we get thru it???

You will learn a lot about yor neighbors this way. If they ignore you or laugh it off, then you know you can't count on them because the first part of prepping is mental preparation! On the other hand, if you get at least some positive responses, you can take it from there.

Be VERY careful about making it clear, that you are a prepper !!! The unprepared, the willfully ignorant will come to you when the need arises!

Right now its first things first1

Keep coming back

Barbie, from your intro I know you're just starting out, so it's premature for this question. Don't misunderstand, I think it is very sweet of you, but you can't give what you don't have.First you have to be able to take care of yourself.

Now, at your next get-together, Iwould suggest broaching the subject of working together this way: We live in earthquake territory, what if it hits here. The apt. complex is damaged, how do we get thru it???

You will learn a lot about yor neighbors this way. If they ignore you or laugh it off, then you know you can't count on them because the first part of prepping is mental preparation! On the other hand, if you get at least some positive responses, you can take it from there.

Be VERY careful about making it clear, that you are a prepper !!! The unprepared, the willfully ignorant will come to you when the need arises!

Right now its first things first1

Keep coming back

i agree with talking this over the next meeting. if your lucky 1 in 3 will even pay attention to you.

take those and after the meeting talk with them. go into things slowly. dont put all your cards on the table at once. believe me, some of the "interested" will be out to see what they can get for free.

so they might drop off after a bit too.

dont tell everybody your plans. right now take care of you and your mom. she should be your first

member of your "team". do remember, more people are gonna think your nuts than those that know your on to something. so get ready for that lol.

then one day you might realize that they are right, you are nutz, but your not dumb and blind. :D:p:D

you see whats going on in the world and the area around you. you realize that you need to be prepared, and in the end the only one you can count on to get it done is YOU.

barbie.dragon,

First, welcome and thank you for the post and the thread. I HATE THIS TOPIC! Probably because it is among the most uncomfortable topics around. Femvet has some very good advice here as do the others. We have to be careful quoting scripture; taking things out of context can prove almost anything. Remember St. Paul said,'he who does not work should not eat'. These are not mutually exclusive - charity to those who truly need it and nothing to those who would be leeches on the rest of us are not contradictions.

I make a strong distinction between friends and acquaintances. I doubt I've had a dozen friends in my entire life. My friends can ask anything and get it. I am friendly to all who will let me be but my experience is that most people don't understand the responsibility of friendship. The old joke about 'an acquaintance will loan you a shovel; a friend will help you bury the body' is closer to the truth than many realize.

In a close situation like yours, I think I'd take a two prong approach. One is the '3 day kit' recommended by the government. People ask, I have 3 days stuff like the government says to have. I'm just being a good sheeple doing what I'm told to do. Those that show no interest, I no longer talk to on this topic. To those who show genuine interest, I move to the next stage. That is along the lines of, "Well, during Ike it took 10 days to get power and supplies back on for our area so I think 2 weeks is a nice pad to have". If they want to go beyond that, I start asking them questions. I am very circumspect about how much, about firearms, about bug out/in plans and so on. I tend to turn the questions back to them; 'what do you think is the most likely event?' How long would we need to prep for that event? Let them decide for themselves what they need and don't reveal your preps.

When I taught ethics one of my favorite scenarios (for the students - I hate it for me) is as follows:

You're walking across a foot bridge when you hear a splash and a call for help. Someone just ahead has fallen in the water. Are you required to help pull them out? The answer is usually yes. OK, so now they are on the bridge and safe, as you turn to continue on your way, splash, they are back in the water calling for help. Are you required to help them out again? Again the answer is usually yes. By the time we get to the sixth or seventh time, folks are beginning to wonder: just what IS my obligation to someone who won't take the opportunity to help themselves? It is a difficult question.

For the prepper, even the government and the main stream media are recognizing the need to prepare. Those who refuse to take care of themselves have no claim on us.

Your first obligation is to yourself and your family. You can help no one else if you don't make it. I tend toward dividing the event into stages. The first 72 hours, everyone is on their own (members of a group belong to the group so this still applies). For the next two weeks or so, it becomes a "that all depends" situation. If it is a short term event (Hurricane Ike) that is local in nature, perhaps you share. A caution here is that folks won't forget who had stuff the next time. This is the difficult part. I advise thinking things out before hand but recognize that the event will always be different than your plans. After the 2 weeks, you are in a long term event. Now it is very much a case of who contributes and who doesn't. I'd be a lot more willing to let my medically trained neighbors in than my accountant neighbor who is always laughing at the 'fruitcakes' who prep.

This thread offers quite a good opportunity to 'think out loud' so feel free to explore options or question opinions.

Edited by Capt Bart

Kinda like Halloween, when the bowl is empty, the porch light goes off. But seriously, in talking with my neighbors over the neighborhood watch program, I have an idea of who is going to make it, and who will not. I don't mean for that to sound cold and heartless, but that's the way it is. 101matt said it best, "People dont plan, people suffer. Its life and death. Simple and to the point, compassion to those who deserve it."

I would rather barter and work together then to just give them provisions, which is only prolonging their eventual demise.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone, I was just wondering what everyone else's provisions were. There's a handful of old folks here that just can't help themselves so I guess I'll just plan to help them out. As for my very loud, son of a dog neighbor upstairs. That's a different story. ANYWAYS it's nice to hear everyone's thoughts about this!!! :)

had a noisy neighbor

pepper oil under door handles tar spots on the door mat.

synthetic oil on the windshield, potato in the tail pipe spray armorall on the tire treads { now this is dangerous as it increases the stopping distance}

hot wheels cars left on the stairs roofing nail in a tire every time you get a chance a pin hole in the tire stem

some mercaptan squirted into the door lock or in the edge of the door few old shrimp tied to the top of the muffler or Limburger cheese

hey I got a million of them just wear gloves and head cover we do not want

to leave tracks and not damage anything permanently

people will get the message eventually and inconsiderate folks such as this have so many enemies

they will never figure it out.

Edited by juzcallmesnake