Sign in to follow this  
barbie.dragon

Dealing with Other People

Snake, sometimes what you say shocks me. Sometimes it is things I would think but not say.

lol snake and i have that in common. we both say what everybody else is already thinking.

im SURE its gotten both of us in more trouble than it was worth sometimes.

I think your A number 1 Capt Bart

and your a calming force and good moderator keep em' coming

and I hold no grudge toward anyone I can see both sides {at times}

and look forward to time in these threads

Watchdog and Snake,

Watchdog, ad hominem attacks are really out of place here and not very informative. It is most acceptable to disagree with someone's views; quite a few (and I suspect Snake is one of them) think I am rather naive about what TEOTWAWKI will be like. That is, of course, their privilege just as it is yours. What is not acceptable is the personal attack. I did not remove your post as I wanted to give Snake a chance to respond.

He has now done so. Normally none of us go into the kind of depth of personal feeling that Snake expressed simply because it isn't necessary. I truly don't want it to be necessary again. Each of us, all of us, Snake, Watchdog, me and others have things that shape our lives and some of us have nightmares about both the past and the future. None of you have a right to play with my nightmares nor do I have a right to play with yours.

As of now, the personal opinions about other members of this thread is closed. Discussion of how we deal with others we may meet post TSHTF is a viable issue and we should discuss it. Remember, differences of opinions are how we learn; I know preppers who once thought I was a paranoid nut job. I'm not sure they were totally wrong but they do see at least some of my point of view now.

I do not want to close this thread nor do I want to ban any member of this forum. Just be aware, strong disagreement with ideas is always acceptable but disagreement about ideas does not mean the person expressing them is subject to personal attacks. Those are off the board from this point onward.

ricksconnected

yea its a gift and I mean to pique others sensitivities and intellect and sometimes I think it needs saying.

and me in trouble? you bet and right in the middle, that's when I figure I got them surrounded.

and watchdog we will have counter opinions and you may be right but my Dr. still on the fence,

he says just keep taking the pills and everything will be justttt fineee LOL.

Guest survival101

yea its a gift and I mean to pique others sensitivities and intellect and sometimes I think it needs saying.

and me in trouble? you bet and right in the middle, that's when I figure I got them surrounded.

As to your willingness to say something controversial, or even thought-provoking, kudos.

A wise woman once shared this quote with me. (can't find the exact quote on the internet) "When you hear the sound of the cannons, walk toward them." Not so easy to walk into the face of difficulty, opposition or controversy. But facing it head on seems to be best.

Same with what everyone is doing here. Tough to be prepared, physically and mentally. Most people would rather ignore the subject of survival.

Snake, sometimes what you say shocks me. Sometimes it is things I would think but not say. At first, your extreme candor threw me for a loop. But I could see truth in many things you say. And when TEOTWAWKI happens, or even SHTF, there is no point in being nice. It's more important to be pragmatic, and to maintain your humanity best you can. No one can say how it will be. It will bring out the best and the worst in people. All I say is I would rather learn from your point of view than close my mind. Who is to say that stripping the pretty coating off of our expectations sooner rather than later is not best? Glad to know you better. -J

survival101

thank you for your view and should something happen I hope and pray we can stay civil

and never venture far from pragmatic.

I am glad your in the group.

my vision comes from another country I wish it was not real but it is still going on

I only overlay it's reality on to our serene existence because wen I was in those same places many

years ago

they were friendly kind and normal but poor people those areas are gone and everyone has that

death pall over them or like wild animals like something snapped and a few of us still

discuss it and we cannot wrap our minds around it and cannot put a finger on exactly what

got it started and what is taking so long for it to run out of gas.

As for the here and now our country is breeding a new and uncontrollable criminal like,

ted bundy I hate to mention the name but people like him are out there still.

Like an M&M pure evil inside covered by a sweet shell.

I have met his kind and had to deal with them and some get out or slip through the cracks in

our system and we have become desensitized to them because there are so many just look

in your area for registered sexual offenders, and these are only the ones we know about.

even a power outage should make most people quiver much less a major event.

Information can be found at web sites for local state and federal sources

35,000 gangs 2,000 hate groups and they all have members and some are nation wide or world wide.

but we still out number them and we can overcome with common sense and perseverance.

and maybe a little pragmatism

@ricks: ? Ahead of the game? I hope so! Best not to know you have the lead until you cross the finish line!

I thought snake's post was kinda funny... hmm I must have a strange sense of humor...

ANyways back to the thread, I feel like it's really easy to say "Oh well they're not in the family so I won't give them stuff. " but I'm sure everyone especially the ones with kids are going to have a really hard time not trying to help a crying 4 year old because their stupid parent didn't decide to stock up on materials you know? Hmm I was thinking before the SHTF people should write down a list of rules to follow. When we're all sane and not in survival mode. Just a thought. I feel like I wouldn't really be thinking 100% clearly in a survival situation and having a set of rules and precautions written down before hand would help keep my head in the game.

Any thoughts?

Edited by barbie.dragon

Hmm I was thinking before the SHTF people should write down a list of rules to follow. When we're all sane and not in survival mode. Just a thought. I feel like I wouldn't really be thinking 100% clearly in a survival situation and having a set of rules and precautions written down before hand would help keep my head in the game.

Any thoughts?

if writing things down will help you then do it.

you know the classic scene in the movies where one person is barely hanging on by 1 hand

while the other hand is holding another person? well thats the way the shtf survival

will be like. some times our hero will be able to reach the other person to safety, and some times he/she..........wont.......have the ........strength....... to...... hang on.........and....

the other person will fall to their doomed fate. some times you wont be able to help the other person because it will cause you to fall too, then other times you will be able to help the next person. remember this, you wont be able to help others if your own azz is in serious trouble too. cover yours and then you can help others cover their's.

if SHTF barbie, its gonna be a cruel world out there. some of us will not make it by "design".

some will hang on as long as possible, but fail. the lucky, the prepared, the blessed will make it, but it will not be a walk in the park either.

check out this book and this guys site. its nuts to hear his story of what happened in Argentina during their collapse.

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Survival-Manual-Surviving-Economic/dp/9870563457

i guess for most its hard to grasp what things will be like if there is a collapse here in the US. i dont think anybody, well, most would refuse to help a starving child barbie, given the survival situation we speak of. if it got to that point though, i think it would be very hard to deal with mentally/emotionally.

OH Crap ..I missed it..

First no personal attacks on Canada from me,Its realy 2 countrys.English and French...The French still have not gotten over it yet.Guess who is french?

In Canada you do NOT have the right of free expression.So let him yammer a bit..JMHO

Good job Capt.

Brother Snake thanks for the song and you valued opion.

JMHO.....you cant fix stupid...

Boy I wish I was 10 years old

memories la lala lala la la I had a great childhood

I was older when I saw tigger my brother was watching it 11 years younger

I was pretty solemn and hardened by the world but something about it made me laugh

my brother and I connected for a few moments and the phrase in the song

"And I'am the only one." and at that particular moment that's the way I felt

but then me and my brother were laughing and something made me understand

that it might seem that way but you are never "the only one"

one of them odd moments you cannot catalog but put it in a special place

I try to treat each person as an individual I am very cautious internally

I feel we should connect and try to enforce the best of ourselves

and do what we can to support each other.

Should times get hard we can still keep a friendly face if they get wild we are going to

have to draw back like a turtle and protect our families and ourselves.

I hope that it is not as bad as I have seen in some countries and in fact

I want it to by pass us altogether, I just get this gnawing feeling it won't

but prepping has been part of my life for so long It is second nature the only thing I need

is a container of prison stationary toucus towels azz wipe and I bet I will be the

king of barter in my little corner of the earth cause dem thar corn cobs is scratchy LOL

you ask tough questions

there are going to be utopias and hell holes and until it happens you won't know some areas

just have a natural get together and get it done attitude.

In an area with heavy farming and ranching I would think they would be more likely to get along

because food would not be a divisive issue and water everyone in that world has their own.

in a suburban area most lots are 50 foot x 100 or 100 x100 foot no subtract the house not much for

growing so prepping is the only way even hydroponic farming needs a lot of stuff like a green house

piping fertilizer and more so people who think they can better get started and have enough to keep

it going.

I did a post on apartment and condo water prep I suggested that a large water bed would be a good

supply also most apartments and condos have a small outside closet/ storage a couple of black

or blue plastic drums full.

a little background black drums are usually for chemicals I get 30 gallon drums from brick layers

they have muratic acid to clean brick it is not as bad as it sounds but you need to be cautious

make sure there is very little left in the barrel and it has both bungs {plugs} fill with water and

dump this will dilute the acid to nothing and it is a natural occurring acid so do not worry about

toxicity and rinse a couple of times and put in 5 gallons of water and a couple of boxes of baking soda

seal the bungs and roll it turn it upside down and make sure it washes all inside and dump and rinse

then you can use it for water you need to treat the water and seal the barrel I would still filter it

for drinking or cooking but washing no problem.

blue barrels usually held food grade or soap you need to get them off craigs list local and check what

was in them I like it if the have a label still glued to them clean and fill same way

white opaque barrels no telling what it held but they allow light so moss will grow even if treated

but it is still water and needs to be strained filtered and boiled and treated if storing for another purpose

read my other posts on barrels and water as well as the posts on MMS and buying Making MMS

and the formula to make sanitizer for vegetables and surfaces as well as treating water it kills ALL

viruses bacteria and amoebic problems if you go to the web sites listed it will give you more information.

water for barter or if you have to lock the door at least for yourself..

Hi everyone! I haven't seen a thread regarding this so I'll just post it myself. Or maybe I didn't read carefully enough. Anyways here goes!

I live in a suburb in a condo complex and what I've been thinking about is: how to deal with neighbors when SHTF.

I firmly believe dealing with other people is in the top three problems we have to deal with in a SHTF situation:

1. water

2. people

3. food

Have you guys given thoughts to how you would deal with your neighbors? Do you have enough to accommodate a few others than your family?

I realize a lot of people get firearms to protect themselves but what if a single mom with a child comes up to your front door begging for food for her 5 year old kid? Can we really turn them away?

Also I have neighbors that have skills that might help me in a SHTF situation, for example one of my neighbors is a hunter and we do live by the Santa Cruz mountains which is fairly abundant with deer and turkey. Or we have a lot of engineers that know how to deal with... engineer stuff. You get my point. But in my condo complex I believe there are about 24 other units on average 2 people living in a condo. Now the bigger problem is, everyone is really friendly to each other... We have annual bbqs every august and talk with each other and stuff like that. So what do we do, help the neighbors or just lock the doors?

@snake: Hmm very interesting, I guess I'll have to get water. We have a community pool but I feel like if TSHTF I won't be going there just because... Let's say I imagine a horde of hyenas around a watering hole and I don't want to get caught up in the drama. Barrels it is!

Each of us will need to struggle with this, no doubt. The numbers of those who will do nothing to prepare are vastly greater than those who will. Evaluating each situation is going to be the hard part. It's just simple math that says we can not take care of everyone. But perhaps Matthew 25:40 says we can help take care of someone.

CAUTION EVERYONE!

Obtaining used barrels for storing water is a great idea, however do not use the color of plastic as any kind of guide for safety! I have seen all kinds of products in all kinds of barrels. Do your research and make sure that they were not previously used for petroleum products or some other poisonous or cancer causing chemical storage.

thanks devildog

I touched on that in the post and plastic is not the Uber wonder as we have found BPA

in all those bottles made for how many years including milk jugs LOL

yea sometimes knowledge is unsettling instead of a consolation.

look at my post on MMS this stuff is like peroxide on blood it alters or destroys virtually

anything so it is a good final cleaner after washing with soap like dawn dish washing liquid

but also some chemicals come in glass and it's gravity or molecular structure

is such that it may not be removed to a degree of safety especially brown glass jugs.

couple things. one, i must join snake and rick in the "i say things that other people are thinking but would never say" Category. got me in trouble more times than i can count. well not trouble cuz i dont much care. but its gotten me into peoples unfavorable side many times.

Next....Snake. your commentary is often off the wall and entertaining however, i take serious issue with some of your posts. you sir do no use nearly enough periods. there are commas everywhere but no freakin periods. it makes your posts difficult to read at times. if the world ended tomorrow you will have to answer for this and i fear you will not have an adequate response. heres a few extra for you to borrow in your next post........................................................

I try to live as gray as I can, but face it,at times you just can't. That is a big part of my bug in plan. I have one of those houses that looks like no one is ever home and we do what we can to keep it that way.

When tshtf my plan is to just withdraw and live on my stores. Thats the plan anyway. I know if my 80 year old neighbors knock on my door looking for help, or some of my family, I don't think i could turn them away. If total strangers knock I would pretend to not be home unless they try to get in, then I would share my defensive preps with them.

snake, so you don't run out.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................I sure wish you were my neighbor.

It may sound cold of me to say, but If a parent isnt able to plan ahead for the survival of their children, why would it ever be my responsiblity to ensure the survival of them. This goes back to evolution, the parent who cant plan for thier childrens survival wont see them survive to pass on his genes. May be cold but, survival of the fittest aplies to any shtf situation. Of course if I have the ability and resorces I will do what I can, but it is not my duty to help if it compromises my chances of survival.