Sign in to follow this  
Amateur

Sleeping Pad

Awake, I'd PM you about this, but I figure if it's out in the open then I could save someone else from asking the same question. I've solved the sleeping bag issue for now. I now need to move on to pads. Insulation is important and so is comfort. The hard ground kills me nowadays. What is good at insulating and also comfortable??? All are welcome to answer.

Awake, I'd PM you about this, but I figure if it's out in the open then I could save someone else from asking the same question. I've solved the sleeping bag issue for now. I now need to move on to pads. Insulation is important and so is comfort. The hard ground kills me nowadays. What is good at insulating and also comfortable??? All are welcome to answer.

personally i have tried many sleep pads. The major problem i had was my shoulders and hips always seem to be compressing the pad to the point that i was sore in these areas. I found that a big Agnes sleep pad works best for this old guy. You inflate it like a pool float. 2.5 inches of loft. insulated or not. it works great and deflates back down to the size of six bagels. I also use this is very cold weather. http://www.rei.com/product/407106/space-all-weather-blanket

i fold it in half and slide the sleeping pad in the middle. That way i have a reflect side facing the ground and another facing the sleeping bag. I have a zero degree bag. I am a cold sleeper and have been fine at 15 below with stiff winds.

Edited by awake

I never like being on the ground high ground OK

a hammock off the ground if you live in a area devoid of trees you can use a mason jar and roll of 1/4 inch

sisal rope coated in any fuel to repel ground insects and snakes circle your sleeping area about 50 foot

just keep it away from fire you can cut small pieces for fire starter it does not matter if it gets dirty

its the scent that count add a bit of fuel to keep it scented.

I have dug a shallow pit and scrapped my fire embers and coals into it and covered it up need 4 to 6 inches

of dirt and slept on it nice and warm but it can attract snakes and other critters.

i found 2 pads they use on the outdoor furniture , cushions and turned them into nice mattresses for hard ground or back of the truck in the bed with all those ridges, warm thicker than military foam and good for my

back and side

The local milsurp guy is getting in the self inflating pads. Anyone ever use these?

I found them to be the least comfortable. Not much thickness and no real padding. I have two in the garage. haven't touched them in five or six years.

I don't know if you guys have an REI store near by but it is worth the trip. Even if you don't buy anything you can try it all out right there in the store. Some store have gear you can rent. Mind you will pay top dollar. But it can be a great place to try and compare products. If you like something than you can always try to find it somewhere else for a better price.

i didnt know REI did that!

some store still do. I have been a member forever. For $20 your membership will get you a percentage back on your yearly purchases. depends on how the company does. They have lifetime guarantee on all merchandise. I have seen 10 year old tents that started to leak be replaced. Boots that had seen 100 miles of trails and stoves that lord knows when they were sold. All returned and replaced. If you are a member you never have to have a receipt. I don't work for REI. Iam just a customer. I know their prices are not the cheapest but the customer service is second to none.

They offer classes on just about any outdoor activity you can think of.

http://www.rei.com/search?query=classes

found their rental link.

http://www.rei.com/stores/rentals.html

sorry if i hijacked the thread but this retailer can really be a valuable source.

some store still do. I have been a member forever. For $20 your membership will get you a percentage back on your yearly purchases. depends on how the company does. They have lifetime guarantee on all merchandise. I have seen 10 year old tents that started to leak be replaced. Boots that had seen 100 miles of trails and stoves that lord knows when they were sold. All returned and replaced. If you are a member you never have to have a receipt. I don't work for REI. Iam just a customer. I know their prices are not the cheapest but the customer service is second to none.

They offer classes on just about any outdoor activity you can think of.

http://www.rei.com/search?query=classes

found their rental link.

http://www.rei.com/stores/rentals.html

sorry if i hijacked the thread but this retailer can really be a valuable source.

Dude thats some good info!!!

sure is. been there 100 times and never knew this stuff. Awake is on top of his game incase

anybody didnt notice.

just trying to help out. Sharing my passion for backpacking and gear. It was a puddle jump to prepping. Besides i have learned more from you all than i can ever repay with my knowledge base.

just trying to help out. Sharing my passion for backpacking and gear. It was a puddle jump to prepping. Besides i have learned more from you all than i can ever repay with my knowledge base.

hey everybody gives when and where they can. ive learned a ton from you Awake.

we all have something to give, if not, take as much as you can until you too have enough to start giving back. heck, just being a member and posting up is giving back. you know that too. if anything, it makes our forum bigger and in doing so, we birth new preppers going about the world teaching others to be preppers.

have to 2nd the REI endorsement, tho ive never had to return any thing, been a member for over 15 years... scary part was i hadnt been to one in almost over 12yrs,,and they knew who i was even though i had moved several times and diffrent towns they had my current address..yikes!

REI is great. I've been going there for years!

I consider sleeping pads a luxury item, but nice to have. I use thermarest when camping, but they are worthless when they

get a hole(cant expect to bring enough patches for SHTF). Go with closed cell foam pad. Warmer and rugged. Cheaper too.

can also be used to splint a limb...i found out the hard way.

My biggest problem is that I am a side sleeper and the last time I went camping I couldn't sleep because my hips are so bony that it hurts. Plus, I plan on doing some cold weather camping and the extra insulation couldn't hurt.

My biggest problem is that I am a side sleeper and the last time I went camping I couldn't sleep because my hips are so bony that it hurts. Plus, I plan on doing some cold weather camping and the extra insulation couldn't hurt.

im the same way so I know your pain, cant' sleep on my back for the life of me

hey amatuer and tinderwolf.

Same problems for me until i bought this baby about ten years ago. At my age and weight (top secret info and i am sure i got you both beat) add 15 miles of pointless ups and downs On the Appalachian Trail with 40 lbs on my back, i sleep like a baby.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Pad/InsulatedAirCore

you name any other sleep pad and i have tried it.

buy it at REI anf if you dont like it send it back for a full refund. Keep your reciept if you are not a member.

hey amatuer and tinderwolf.

Same problems for me until i bought this baby about ten years ago. At my age and weight (top secret info and i am sure i got you both beat) add 15 miles of pointless ups and downs On the Appalachian Trail with 40 lbs on my back, i sleep like a baby.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Pad/InsulatedAirCore

you name any other sleep pad and i have tried it.

buy it at REI anf if you dont like it send it back for a full refund. Keep your reciept if you are not a member.

Dang they aren't cheap. You've probably got me on age, maybe on weight. lol.

Sounds like you're sold on the Big Agnes, and I don't blame you. I've used the self inflating type pads too, but they are heavy, and weight is an issue for me. I am still stuck with a simple closed cell foam pad for now. It does great for keeping the cold away, but anymore, I can't sleep on the ground without hurting all night long and the next day. So, as long as I have to be a ground dweller (read: I'd rather have a really nice hammock but they're too expensive) I have the Exped SynMat UL 7 Air Pad on my wish list. It's insulated and super light, witch is important to me. I'm just waiting for the price to come down... any year now. I go visit it at REI when I can. It really is a great store.

Yep. We've got an eno single nest and eno double nest. We take them camping and use them during the day, but I've got a thing about bugs and weather. And though you can get the bug nets and rain fly separately, what I really want is my husbands Clark North American with the insulation pads to fit in the pockets underneath. Some day. :)